Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

recomendations for Tijuana? (packing/flight)

I've been dancing around gastric surgery for ten years and after two separate insurance companies having it excluded from their plans, I decided to take the plunge into self pay. I'm scheduling my surgery this coming Friday, and if all goes as we hope, it will be in early October with Dr Illan. . My husband is staying home with our 17 month old, so I'll be coming and getting the surgery done alone. We thought about all three of us coming, but weren't sure how well that would go down with our kid.

To make it easier on me, I'm just bringing everything in a carry-on bag. I know I don't need alot, but I was wondering if there was anything you wish you had brought, but didnt? I've already seen where someone recommended to bring a sweater, and someone else said gas-x/pepto. I am just trying to make sure that I don't forget anything.

Also: Did you have to buy two airline seats? I've heard plus size people complain about it before, but I have no idea if it will be necessary for me or not... The last time I was on a flight, I was just a kid. So if you could tell me a height/weight if you DID have to buy two tickets, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm 5"6 and a size 24 if that helps any.

One last question: How functional were you when you got home? I've had my gallbladder removed previously, and the incisions look the same as far as size and location for my gallbladder surgery. I wonder if that meant I could expect as easy as a recovery? Not that surgery is fun to recover from, but my gallbladder was certainly an easier recovery than my c-section was.

Thanks for answering if you did! I'm probably going to be blowing up the forums a bit once I actually reserve the date next weekend.

I've been dancing around gastric surgery for ten years and after two separate insurance companies having it excluded from their plans, I decided to take the plunge into self pay. I'm scheduling my surgery this coming Friday, and if all goes as we hope, it will be in early October with Dr Illan. . My husband is staying home with our 17 month old, so I'll be coming and getting the surgery done alone. We thought about all three of us coming, but weren't sure how well that would go down with our kid.
To make it easier on me, I'm just bringing everything in a carry-on bag. I know I don't need alot, but I was wondering if there was anything you wish you had brought, but didnt? I've already seen where someone recommended to bring a sweater, and someone else said gas-x/pepto. I am just trying to make sure that I don't forget anything.
Also: Did you have to buy two airline seats? I've heard plus size people complain about it before, but I have no idea if it will be necessary for me or not... The last time I was on a flight, I was just a kid. So if you could tell me a height/weight if you DID have to buy two tickets, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm 5"6 and a size 24 if that helps any.
One last question: How functional were you when you got home? I've had my gallbladder removed previously, and the incisions look the same as far as size and location for my gallbladder surgery. I wonder if that meant I could expect as easy as a recovery? Not that surgery is fun to recover from, but my gallbladder was certainly an easier recovery than my c-section was.
Thanks for answering if you did! I'm probably going to be blowing up the forums a bit once I actually reserve the date next weekend.

I didn't forget these items but I'm so thankful someone told me to bring them because they were invaluable!! An extension cord for my phone charger, and a heating pad. Didn't use anything else out of my suitcase except a hair thing and slipper socks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Here to weigh in on the airplane thing: it really depends on the airline and how you carry your weight. Last time I flew, I was 5'7", size 22. On Southwest and Hawaiian Airlines, Frontier, I could wedge into the seat and buckle just fine, and put the armrest down (with some pressure it'd stay), United and American, not so much. For those flights I had brought my own seatbelt extender and was seated next to my child, so I didn't need to purchase another seat. (You have to be covert about the extender. They want you to use theirs, but I didn't want to have to ask.)

BUT THEN!!! I discovered Southwests amazing "customer of size" policy. You have two options for getting a free second seat. (1) purchase an additional seat ahead of time and they will give you a full refund of the second seat afterwards. You have to call to book the COS second seat.
Or (2) if you don't want to put the $$ upfront, when you check in at the ticket counter, tell them you need a customer of size seat as well. They discretely print you a second pass to lay on the seat next to you AND you get to preboard. It's the only benefit of being fat I've ever experienced in society.

Best of luck!

I'll address the question of how functional you might be when you get home, and say what I've read in dozens and dozens of posts here--it depends. I personally had no pain to speak of and have just been a bit tired. Your mileage may vary, of course.

When we flew into El Paso ayear ago. My hubby weighed over 300#'s and we didn't have to buy 2 seats for him. But...him being a stubbron man I had to ask for a seat belt expender. Be sure to ask for a wheelchair on your return, the airport is huge!!! The best thing about this is you get to board first. The wheelchair helped him so much. He was kind of weak and tired. They wont let you take your Water bottles or your Protein Drinks when you go thru Customs. I had to throw out the Protein that I had brought due to us both needing them. I think you could talk to them and explain that you need both of these now. I had to pay like 4.50 for 1 bottle of water. Hyway robbery to say the least. Be sure to bring slippers that have grip those hospital floors are so slippery. Good Luck on your Journey. Have a safe trip.

You´d want to bring comfortable clothes like sweats and slippers, socks and your shoes can be without shoe lace specially since you´re traveling alone make everything more comfortable for yourself.

A phone charger is also a great thing to bring, personal wash cloths and all of your personal hygiene items. And also cash in small bills if you want to buy something for your family back home or give tips!

Best of luck!