Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have this issue???

I'm curious if anyone else has this issue that is still in the very early post op.

I can't shut my mind off, it keeps telling me that I want S'mores, Popeye's chicken (dark & mild), steak, burgers, pork chops, just everything, ESPECIALLY fruit.

Tues I was moved forward on my menu to stage 2B & was able to add eggs (1 large egg per serving), ricotta (1/2 cup per serving), cottage cheese (will NEVER come in my house LOL), string cheese (1 stick at a time), rotisserie chicken (3oz, which I learned is too much), I was told that I'm not taking in enough Protein & that I'm not taking in enough Water. I'm doing the best that I can, that's for sure.

I do need to sorta complain for a second, then I have a question.

When I originally went to my hospital I was given a book that is over 10 years old that I had to read, and my husband also read as well, and I was given a booklet that the hospital put together with the different stages & stuff like that. I was given this stuff this past March. It shows that stage 2B I can add a large egg, cottage cheese, and ricotta. When I went there today I was told I could add those 3 items, plus add rotisserie chicken no skin & string cheese as well. I'm not complaining too loud because chicken is my favorite food. According to this booklet stage 3 is when I was to add chicken. I don't know, I'm just totally confuzzled as usual. And is there a difference between rotisserie & baked or grilled with no skin or put in an air fryer?

My question is this, why is it that different Dr's, hospitals, etc., have different ideas of what is on each diet stage, when it's all getting us to the same place?

Lauri

Edited by LauriDJ

Are you sleeve or bypass..I'm 3 weeks post op and am still on liquids, not even purée yet..
The smells of food cooking drives me crazy and I'm craving really bad..I've chewed a few things without swallowing to get over the cravings but I'm just wanting time to hurry up...

My first night after surgery, I had THE most VIVID dream of a perfectly made grilled cheese and Tomato sandwich. And I would watch my brother eat and TELL him how! Like; take a bite of that fried chicken and a spoonful of macaroni and cheese with it!! You're just suffering a loss. It's not unusual to feel what you're feeling. Re. change in diet from 10 years ago; things change and techniques and opinions change re. what and when you can eat. You're pouch will be the final boss. Good luck.

The surgeon's guidelines will vary between doctors and also in time. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago, and my direction was Full Liquids for first 4 weeks, pureed Foods the next four weeks and only on week 9 was I permitted Solids.

Your stomach needs adequate time to heal. Transitioning to harder foods can be hard. There is no need to rush things.

Many individuals experience a strong desire to eat certain foods right after surgery. Someone coined the phrase Head Hunger to describe the condition.

Integrated into each individual is a strong desire to chew. It is part of the digestive process. So after surgery when one is on liquids, that need is not being met.

How has your journey been James?

1 hour ago, KarenInOz said:

How has your journey been James?

It has been good. I lost a lot of weight. But what was more important was that I put a number of health issues (such as diabetes and high blood pressure) into remission.

Im 5 weeks post op bypass and i tottaly get you.
i've been craving pizza or Pasta but thats just head hunger , analyze yourself and u'll be able to see that your body isnt asking for food is your head as my nutriologist said, "we operate your body not your head" so i've been in touch with my psicologist and we have been working on that matter, you will have cravings is natural, as i said for myself, "i know im craving pizza but if i had it in front of me i dont think i would be able to eat it" im in phase 3 of soft foods (every doctor has its own plan).

Just keep strong.And think of your goal.

Sent from my SM-N920C using BariatricPal mobile app

I can't explain why the guidelines vary so widely between programs....but, I will note that it also is different within the same program! James and I had surgery at the same place - mine was this year though - and the guidelines now are liquids for 1 day, the purees and soft foods (can be cut with the side of a fork) for 6 weeks and then solids as tolerated starting after week 6. I personally felt like that moved a bit fast but I just went with whatever worked for me.

I'd say there isn't much difference between rotisserie chicken and baked or grilled chicken. Rotisserie might be a bit more moist - I know if I grill a chicken breast it does end up more dry than other methods. At the early stages the goal is really moisture.

And the head hunger was the worst for me the first 3 weeks. After that it got much better. But I had vivid dreams about food and eating all the time. I still do occasionally but not nearly as bad. You do get used to the new way of eating eventually :)

I had RNY last October. I went home on pureed. I mostly ate yogurt, my Protein Shakes, ricotta bake and sugar free Jello and popsicles. I advanced to soft foods (eggs, string cheese, mashed fish, etc) at two weeks and then to most foods (chicken, lunch meat, etc) with some restrictions (seeds, fibrous veggies, steak, etc) at 31 days. You will need to continue drinking the Protein shakes for at least a few months in order to get in the required protein. You just can't eat enough at first. Even though I hated all protein shakes, I forced one down every morning to make sure I got enough protein.

18 hours ago, James Marusek said:

The surgeon's guidelines will vary between doctors and also in time. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago, and my direction was Full liquids for first 4 weeks, pureed Foods the next four weeks and only on week 9 was I permitted Solids.

Integrated into each individual is a strong desire to chew. It is part of the digestive process. So after surgery when one is on liquids, that need is not being met.

Here in Austria we are on Clear Liquids on day one, full on day two, puree on day 3 and solids on day 4. We have to chew chew chew until it's puree and then some, but I had solids from day 4. I had several restrictions until week 6 (any kinds of seeds, too fatty food, too sugary food, and a lot more), but I eat babybell cheese on day 4 with no problem. One took me 20 min to eat, and I was full.

It amazes me how different the programs can be.

On 8/16/2017 at 1:34 AM, LauriDJ said:

I can't shut my mind off, it keeps telling me that I want Popeye's chicken (dark & mild)

hahaha.... that's funny. for the first 2 weeks after my surgery, i kept having head hunger for fried chicken too. nothing else. JUST fried chicken.

it eventually went away and hasn't come back.

and you're right about the dark meat. f**k that white meat s**t.

Edited by JohnnyCakes