Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Silly Me - Psych Eval.

So for some crazy reason I was really worked up and worried about my psych evaluation. Partly because I just hate tests and the other reason is because I already know that I have a bad relationship with food and I was just worried that she was going to tell me that I was too messed up and I can't have the surgery. However as probably many of you know since you've been through it, it was a breeze and it was actually really nice to talk about and air out a few things before going into this and of course I passed with flying colors! I only have one more visit to the nutritionist and then my paperwork all goes to insurance and I start praying that they are going to cover it and I can get scheduled!

I was stressed about the psych evaluation too and it wasn't a big deal. The psychiatrist told me in some very rare cases he will not approve patients for the procedure, but that seldomly happens.
My paperwork has been submitted and I have my surgery date scheduled for 08-31-17.
I start the liver shrink diet tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

I loved my psych eval. It was a good opportunity to talk to a completely objective professional. I had already done a good bit of work on getting my relationship with food in the right place by that time, so she just affirmed what I was doing, gave me a stamp of approval for the insurance, and we moved on. It was a great experience.

I was stressed about the psych evaluation too and it wasn't a big deal. The psychiatrist told me in some very rare cases he will not approve patients for the procedure, but that seldomly happens.
My paperwork has been submitted and I have my surgery date scheduled for 08-31-17.
I start the liver shrink diet tomorrow.

I'm a bit nervous! My psych eval is Saturday. She informed me it lasts an hour and a half. What exactly are they looking for? I'm so new to this. I haven't had my consult yet my Drs office asked me to get my psych consult before my appointment. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

It seemed to me he was trying to determine whether or not I was a food addict and a binge eater.
We talked about my relationship with food.
I already see a therapist for depression and OCD, so the psychiatrist I saw was pleased to know that I have support for after surgery.

Awesome!

The only thing I can suggest to others is from what I have seen on the web (no personal experience), but the discussion of illicit drug use (or even medicinal marijuana) may set up a red flag that may interfere with one's ability to get the psych clearance.

Not suggesting one should try to beat the system. Just, pointing out what I have read. A word of warning, it seems that in pre-admission testing, the hospital may test for nicotine\drug usage.

I'm working towards my doctorate in psychology and found the psych eval to be the most interesting part of my pre-op appointments. In general, I would suggest just coming in open and being willing to talk about your history. I have yet to meet a colleague who judged someone for their history. Mostly they're just concerned that you're emotionally healthy and prepared to take on the challenge of WLS, and if for any reason there's a reason they think you aren't ready they should be talking to you about why. If they don't you have a right as the patient to ask for that information.

BUT! You all will be totally fine and pass without any issues. Good luck on your eval Dmano!

Edited by kem91
correcting career field

I've had extensive issues in the past with depression/anxiety for years and years now. I was very concerned that I wasn't going to get approved. At my eval I was very honest, because I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision for my health. I think the most important think was that I was stable and in a good place with my current anti depression meds. I got the sense they just wanted to make sure I was stable and ready for such a huge change. Just be honest. Don't try to stress.

1 hour ago, kem91 said:

I'm working towards my doctorate in psychology and found the psych eval to be the most interesting part of my pre-op appointments. In general, I would suggest just coming in open and being willing to talk about your history. I have yet to meet a colleague who judged someone for their history. Mostly they're just concerned that you're emotionally healthy and prepared to take on the challenge of WLS, and if for any reason there's a reason they think you aren't ready they should be talking to you about why. If they don't you have a right as the patient to ask for that information.

BUT! You all will be totally fine and pass without any issues. Good luck on your eval Dmano!

Thank you so much!! I'm sure I'll be just fine!