Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im feeling really nervous and anxious

I started my pe-op liquid diet today (i'm one week away from surgery) and i've been feeling extremely nervous and anxious since yesterday.

I also found myself giving really aggressive responses to people and I even dreamt about the day of my surgery.

I'm not scared about anything going wrong during surgery, i'm more scared about afterwards. I kinda know what to expect because i've read a lot of testimonies and i've seen a lot of youtube vida to educate myself but each person is different so the not knowing is killing me.

I'm just looking for moral support here and some advice.

Thanks!

Being nervous and anxious is a very normal response for heading into something without having control of the immediate outcome. Especially for those that like being in control (me)! The way I attack my anxiety about such things is to make a checklist. List everything you are to do in preparation for the surgery; note those items you have completed and those items you have not. Start working on getting the rest of the checklist completed. Know that you researched the surgeon/facility and feel confident in the surgeon's ability. Start planning for what you will need to have at home after the surgery. Start memorizing your surgeon's plan for taking in food/liquids after surgery. Now, just realize there is nothing else you can do, think only positive thoughts, and realize that you are about to start a fantastic phase of your life.

Have a wonderful journey!

You and I are really close in surgery dates! I just got the news yesterday that mine is scheduled for the afternoon of the 15th. I've been having anxiety on and off since I started doing pre-op appointments, and I had a dream last night about surgery.

The scariest thing to me is the possible complications, but it helps knowing that most occur in 1 in 300 to 1 in 500 patients (which is what my surgeon told me). I think it's the initial phases I'm most worried about, but I'm excited because in the long term I know this is what i need to do to get healthy. As long as you follow your post op instructions you should be okay, but never hesitate to call the surgeon or someone in their office if you think something is off.

Also, I've been cranky being on my pre-op diet as well. Sometimes I handle it well, but around certain people I don't hold it in as well as I'd like. I think it's because your body is already experiencing change, and not at a rate it's easy to adjust to. :)

Thanks at least im not alone in this. I think i'd go nuts without this forum.

I think it's always helpful to have other people going through it too. It's so much worse when you think you're the only one experiencing it. But you're not alone, and you will get through this and get the healthy body you want! :D

I'm about 10 days out. For me, like you, it wasn't the surgery that made me nervous, but how would I do with the stuff afterward. It's been so much easier than I anticipated. I think I worked myself up, but reading/absorbing what I could prior was helpful, because now if I do/did something, I'll know if it's a common thing or not and that knowledge is fabulous for keeping a clear mind. Good luck!

The first month post op was a breeze. I was expecting everything I experienced and had zero regrets. The whole 2nd month after surgery was my "buyers remorse". I hated life. The discomfort and pain along with having to learn what my stomach wouldnt vomit over or create mucus burps or simplyfeel like a rock in my chest, was more than I could mentally take. I started believing that I would never be ok again and certainly that if never be able to eat anything of substance again.
I'm now 2 weeks until my 3 month post op Mark and I finally feel normal. I've learned what I can eat and how long I have to take in between bites. Ive also learned to recognize that point where I will regret one more bite.
I know some people who had buyers remorse right away. I felt pretty lucky when I didn't experience that. Unfortunately it made it all the worse when I did because I wasnt expecting it. I'm sure we all have our moment of regret. Just take that time to focus on what little things you can do to ease through it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have my surgery in 1 month and I can understand your anxious. I worry about how I will do after the surgery too. these suggestions have been a big help.Good Luck