Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Appointment Tomorrow!

Hello!

I have finished the mandatory classes, got approved, and am booked to meet with Dr. Quilici tomorrow at 2pm in Burbank! I struggled with weight my entire life, so I've decided on the RNY. 5'1" and the highest weight in my life is 285lbs in my early 40's. I am now 46 and weigh 268lbs have chronic lower back pain (congenital), HBP, and have hypothyroidism. I am on day 1 of my pre-op liquid diet. My lowest ever adult weight was 112lbs and that was in my late 20's to mid 30's and was not a diet any nutritionist would approve :wacko:. I'm a teacher on summer vacation and was hoping to have the surgery well before school starts so that I can recover in relative comfort, but it looks as though I may not be able to do that and that will have only a week to recover. I can complete a lot of my classroom set up before the surgery, but I'm now wondering if I should prepare to have a sub start the year (which is not ideal and starts the year off on a bad foot). Any teachers out there who have had this surgery with suggestions or advice?

My surgeons kept saying - everyone is different - you'll just have to wait and see. But for me...

I work in education (administration) and went back PART-TIME after two weeks. It was tough. I wish I had done another full week home. The surgery is no joke - but the postop diet is the hard part. I was not in pain, but had no energy. I would suggest getting a sub - just in case. :)

Ok. I'm going to prepare sub lesson plans just in case. The first few days of school require a lot of energy and I don't want to chance it. Thank you!!!!

go ahead and do it. it's not like you're diggin ditches or anything...

Not digging holes, no. I will be moving 250 text books up two flights of stairs, arranging 40 desks, setting up 18 science lab stations, and decorating bulletin boards by going up and down a ladder a bunch of times. Hauling stacks of papers and files from one place to another, moving tables and chairs, pushing carts of equipment from storage and into my room. My job is actually very physical and involves a lot of heavy moving, especially at the beginning and the end of the year. A sub won't do that for me, but I can postpone it until I'm able to do it, perhaps?

1 hour ago, SkinEMinE said:

Not digging holes, no. I will be moving 250 text books up two flights of stairs, arranging 40 desks, setting up 18 science lab stations, and decorating bulletin boards by going up and down a ladder a bunch of times. Hauling stacks of papers and files from one place to another, moving tables and chairs, pushing carts of equipment from storage and into my room.

ok i stand corrected. none of that will be possible one week after surgery. your abdominal wall is still very painful and you shouldn't be lifting anything at that point. not to mention your energy will likely be down.

Ok. A colleague of mine said she went shopping to two stores afterwards and didn't have much pain at all, but that sounded suspicious to me so I'm glad I asked on here.

Thanks guys!