Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Purchasing protein from bariatric websites

Hello! I am new to this site today. I quickly scrolled to see if this topic has been addressed lately so that I wouldn't ask something that has already been asked.

At the support group meeting that I was required to attend (per my surgeon's checklist) someone had mentioned that they ordered a chicken broth with added Protein from an online company. So far, I have looked at Unjury, but on a quick search, I see companies like Bariatric Pal, Bariatric Advantage, Bariatric Choice, Bari life....so many companies...I don't even know where to begin. Any advice or reviews would be appreciated!

I'm trying to find everything that I need for post-surgery so that I can come home and not have to worry about shopping. Any advice?

Your taste buds may change after surgery. This means that if you plan everything out to a Tee, you may be disappointed with your Protein supplement after surgery. The key is be willing to experiment after surgery. You do not have to like Protein Shakes only tolerate them. I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) powder blended with Water and a half a banana. That worked for me. I used a Ninja blender to mix the Protein Drink. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, you might try premixed Isopure.

It is possible to purchase small samples of protein supplements at places like GNC to try them out. After I selected the Protein Shake I liked, I purchased it in bulk at Amazon for the best price.

Without sufficient protein, your body will scavenge protein from other areas of your body, such as your muscles. Protein is extremely important after surgery as its job in the body is to build and maintain tissues including your body's major organs and skeletal muscles. Protein deficiency, when continued over a long period of time can cause a disease known as protein caloric malnutrition. Common symptoms are poor healing, fatigue, Hair loss and muscle wasting. Immediate post op, protein promotes healing of the staple line and incisions.

You can also buy individual packets on most websited ie: Bariatric Advantage & Unjury - buy a couple of each packet - see which ones you like before and after surgery.

I love the Unjury chicken Soup Protein mix. I make it with chicken broth not Water. Unjury unflavored is great too. You can add it to almost anything to boost protein. Unjury offers a starter pack that is well worth the price. Good luck in your search!

I have a massive, unopened container of unflavored Protein on top of my freezer - never even broke the seal on that baby and bought it pre-surgery this time last year. So, with that lesson (about a $65 lesson) in mind, please get small packets or singles of things before surgery to see what you like and keep a few on hand for after, because what you loved before you may not be able to stomach after.

For me, the Premier pre-mixed caramel and vanilla were go to drinks. I also use the salted caramel powder in single packets from Quest and their double chocolate as well. Now, I use Optimum Gold (available from Costco) for my everyday vanilla shakes I make with coconut milk and some fruit. (That's Breakfast every morning - it keeps me honest.)

I didn't order a single thing from any of the bariatric sites. I just wen to my local GNC.

I am a "newbie" on this site and am in the very beginning stages of working up to have gastric sleeve surgery. I have an appointment with my bariatric surgeon next week. Someone suggested that I check out JBN (Just Be Natural). I ordered samples yesterday (you can pick 3 flavors for $5). I thought this was a reasonable price to see what brand of Protein Shake I like. I have tried Muscle Milk long ago and I ended up throwing 3/4 of the case out because it just didn't taste good to me. All other Protein Drinks I have tried are too low in Protein and too high in sugar content.