Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

long term sleevers question--weight gain over time?

Hi All,

I am considering a revsision from a lap band to a sleeve. I've gained all my 150-lbs. back from my initial weight loss. I realize there is a forum just for band-to-sleeve but I'd like to hear from people who've had their sleeve many years. I am concerned I will gain my weight back just like I always do. And then I'll be with most of my stomach gone. I am also afraid of constant nausea, diarrhea, etc. complications. I know there can always be problems. I worry because this is a no-going-back procedure. I've had problems with my lapband and it is unfilled, but now I have this option of getting it removed and trying something else. With permanent removal of part of my stomach, there's no revision to turn to. I guess bypass would be an option. So scared of that. Any replies appreciated.

There are people with all of the surgeries that have lost weight and regained or that got to goal and bounced back a little bit. I'm seven years out in a few days. My initial goal was 135 and I started at 242 but I was heavier than that (286) when I started researching this surgery. My insurance only covered band or bypass and I researched a solid year before choosing to self pay instead, even though I easily would have been covered. I was a slow loser and it took me almost a year and a half to reach my first goal.

Two years post op I had a baby. I readjusted my goal to 125 and it took me about 14 months to get to where my body wanted to be which was 118 pounds. I have very easily maintained that for the last 2.5 years.

My sleeve still gives me ridiculous restriction. I could eat around it and graze all day, I'm sure. But I eat what I want, stick to sensible food choices most of the time and I easily maintain. In the loss phase, I did shakes for years and Protein, protein, protein. Yes, I ate carbs, but watching what I ate was how I lost. Transitioning to normal eating slowly made me successful in maintenance.

I do not have nausea, diarrhea, or any real complications. I have acid reflux, which I take a PPI (omeprazole) for, daily. I had lactose intolerance prior to my sleeve and it was initially worse. After a few years it got better. I still don't drink milk or eat ice cream, but I couldn't do that before surgery.

I know this is long. I hope it helps. End story: the sleeve works amazingly well, long term, and doesn't stop until you do.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Cheri

I'm just shy of being two years out. I do not have diarrhea or any other complications, but occasionally do experience nausea when I eat too fast, foods that are too heavy, or too many carbs. I did manage to get down to 145 pounds, but felt unhealthy. My sweet spot is 152 (150 was pushing it). I'm hoovering 156-58 right now and need to lose and stabilize again as I can see bad habits creeping back in.

As for regain, that will depend on your habits; what you're eating, how much, and exercise. My husband was sleeved a month before me and was doing great the first 6 months. He was physically active riding his bike and watching what he ate. Then he accepted a new job and we moved out of state. He became less active and his new employer provided a buffet style lunch daily. This did him in. He had put back on 60+ pounds of the 100 pounds lost in 1.5 years.

For a long time he blamed it primarily on what I cooked for dinner (the meal we eat together), as I haven;t changed all of our eating habits. But has instead come to realize that he eats too much socially at lunch because he has everything available to him. He doesn't bring his lunch like I do. Plus portion sizes are too big, as opposed to my dessert plate with tiny portions. He's also less physically active due to a longer commute among other reasons.

Now he has always been able to consume everything and anything since starting on solids. We joked then that he had the sleeve of steel, where nothing bothered him. His doctor did comment at one point that his sleeve is larger than some of the others, meaning he removed less stomach; but I'm not sure if that's true. He is currently looking at a revision to his sleeve as his is considered to have been a failure.

thank you for the feedback. that helps. i'm just so hungry without a fill in my band. at least with a sleeve i won't be battling with a dr all the time begging for a fill

Hello,

revising to the sleeve is a very personal decision and one that you really need to put a lot of thought into. It is a commitment that you give yourself for life because, as you rightly said, it is permanent. And that is exactly why I chose it.

I too am 7 years out - I was a real slow loser and never met my target weight - I was a pound from my surgeon's target weight at one point, but never reached my personal one. Does that matter? No! Not at all. Over the last 18mths I have experienced some gain though. Now, that does matter as it is really bothering me - I am sure you can understand that! But I also went into early menopause and I am sure that this is part of my regain (even though my doc says not!).

I am desperately trying to lose the regain. Eating sensibly and exercising again - I suppose I got a little complacent too, but not in a 'shovel all the junk into my mouth' kinda way. But I did stop exercising to the intensity I was, preferring long walks that didn't help with weight loss but helped mentally - where I live there is some beautiful scenery! So I am back in the gym, doing harder classes and sweating more!

I have to dedicate time for 'me' and allow myself to do the exercise that I used to love.

This weight loss malarkey is a complicated ole thing and we are all so very different. What works for one, doesn't work for another.

Good luck in whatever you chose.

I guess I have to ask why you would want your full stomach back if you still need to lose weight? Honestly I don't miss mine or even think about it except to be grateful I can be satisfied now with less. But you can eat your way back from vsg too. You will get hungry and can eat the wrong foods. So if that's an issue you might want to work with a therapist in the process too. RNY is still the gold standard so don't be afraid of that either.

I am 15 months out and am very happy with my sleeve. I have learned that the sleeve is not the answer, but it is part of the answer. This is a head game. Do a lot of research. Go to meetings, talk with professionals, read books and articles from credible sources and if at all possible get a nutritionist who specializes in bariatric patients needs. Get to a place where you are very comfortable with your decision before moving forward. And I agree that you should consider a therapist if needed. And be fully prepared to dig in and learn for a long time. I see my nutritionist every few weeks and have a list of questions every time. The more you learn, the better your success will be. The very best in whatever you choose.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I am 15 months out and am very happy with my sleeve. I have learned that the sleeve is not the answer, but it is part of the answer. This is a head game. Do a lot of research. Go to meetings, talk with professionals, read books and articles from credible sources and if at all possible get a nutritionist who specializes in bariatric patients needs. Get to a place where you are very comfortable with your decision before moving forward. And I agree that you should consider a therapist if needed. And be fully prepared to dig in and learn for a long time. I see my nutritionist every few weeks and have a list of questions every time. The more you learn, the better your success will be. The very best in whatever you choose.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree it's something that will help as long as you do everything else right

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

I guess I have to ask why you would want your full stomach back if you still need to lose weight? Honestly I don't miss mine or even think about it except to be grateful I can be satisfied now with less. But you can eat your way back from vsg too. You will get hungry and can eat the wrong foods. So if that's an issue you might want to work with a therapist in the process too. RNY is still the gold standard so don't be afraid of that either.

i wouldn't want my stomach back but i guess it's the thought of getting rid of body parts i can never get back in case something else goes wrong. i felt the same way when i got my knee replaced. the new fake one is way better but five years out it still freaks me out that my real knee is gone forever. i know that's weird but i'm afraid of turning into darth vader. more machine than woman. having the foreign lap band inside me doesn't bother me. i think i'm afraid of getting cancer and needing my digestive system back or something. but losing the weight will make my cancer risk lower

No matter what choice you make ultimately until the way you look at food you will always struggle with regain. The,way you approach food defines your relationship with food. Do you pass a McDonald's and yearn for fast food or does the golden arches make you want to puke st the though of what they serve as food? Wheat, white flour, sugar, Pasta are all foods that hamper long term success no matter what process you choose.
It is a decision that takes time but look deeper, why did you regain 150lbs? I wish you much happiness in whatever choice you make. [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

i wouldn't want my stomach back but i guess it's the thought of getting rid of body parts i can never get back in case something else goes wrong. i felt the same way when i got my knee replaced. the new fake one is way better but five years out it still freaks me out that my real knee is gone forever. i know that's weird but i'm afraid of turning into darth vader. more machine than woman. having the foreign lap band inside me doesn't bother me. i think i'm afraid of getting cancer and needing my digestive system back or something. but losing the weight will make my cancer risk lower

I specifically asked my Dr about cancer and the sleeve. He said no worries. My dad had throat cancer and required a peg feeding tube. The Dr said not an issue because the part of stomach where the tube goes stays intact. Plus, if you need an Egd later on, they can still see the esophagus, stomach and duodenum, which I think is not possible with RNY.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

That is true. I have a lot of trouble with the bile ducts in my livers my surgeon said no one I. Their right mind would do a rny on me but the sleeve would be fine- with rny they wouldn't be able to get to the bile ducts to clean them out. Hopefully the weight loss will alleviate my duct problem - I have no gall bladder but still make stones that get stuck in the bile ducts of my liver...excruciating!