Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Supervised Diet Update

I need a space to be real and accountable so here goes.

Started 6month SD on 6/10/17 and really struggled for the first 10 days. The struggle was due to these factors: 1. failure to plan 2. wanting to eat crap more than wanting to lose this weight and get healthy 3. too many "last meals". So I had a come to Jesus moment and watched many more videos of others who have gone before me. I researched and planned a true low carb high Protein meal plan and I went shopping to get food that is compliant and I made a video blog for my own personal use to hash it all out with myself.

One thing that quitting smoking many years ago taught me is that this game is not in my stomach, it is in my head. Not to discount the very real fact that my stomach and other factors are heavies in this battle, but the real bad guy here is this voice in hy head that really thinks one more McDouble is a necessary thing because I may never eat one again. REALLY, that crap is so nasty but yet here I am like a ball and chain.

So Ten days ago , I got on track. The last ten days have not been without hic-cups, for example, I now realize that carbs are not the enemy, but children's birthday parties and specifically pizza are the enemies. I went in with a plan and still ate pizza.. ugh. I have to realize that little things like this will still happen and while they are not to be blown off, I am not going to beat myself up over it. I WILL however look at all those caalories and assess, was bowling alley pizza really WORTH it. No.

So I started 10 days ago at 268 and this morning I weighed in at 259.6. A baby loss and like any baby I need to takecare of it and help it grow, hence this thread. Thanks for reading.

Edited by Egomom

Sounds like you are getting a very strong grasp on what you need to do to be successful. Congrats on making taking that GIANT step. Best of luck with the rest of your journey!!

I like your determination and that you fully realize this weigh loss journey will not be without "hiccups" along the way. I completely understand the "mind over stomach" issue.....Too many times I have talked myself into eating something I should not have (instead of talking myself out eating something I should not have!).....I use to beat myself up when I made a bad choice but now I learn from it and tell myself I will work on doing better. Good job on the weight loss so far.......and Good Luck on your weight loss journey......We are all here for you so keep posting!

You are totally on the right track. the head games is where all the most important work gets done.

I had a ton of last meals too. I lost my mind actually and ate everything in sight. Ha! I can't remember today a single thing that was so important back then.

You are going into this with a great mindset and will be amazed how after surgery, it becomes so much easier (haha, not easy, just easier) because your body won't be fighting you.

:)

Awesome job on your loss!!!! That's almost 9 pounds, not a baby loss by any means. Almost 1lb per day! :1300_clap_tone1:

I too have had a rough go of eating healthy during the supervised diet. I have been finding lots of excuses for why it's okay to eat X or Y, and I also tend to be an all-or-nothing person where I'm either eating 1200 calories or 3000 calories. So I have been feeling like, Ugh why spend these last few months eating nothing when I'm going to spend the next 18 months after surgery eating nothing!

Lately, I realized that fantasizing about weight loss after surgery won't actually get me there... only actually doing the work will get me there. DUH but my messed up brain needs silly reminders like that. And insurance might deny me if I start showing up to the surgeon's office with gains every month. Why sabotage myself??? So I started refocusing by doing a little here and there. Eating at home for most meals makes a huge difference for me as well as cutting out soda or other sugared beverages. So I've done that and now am focusing on tracking my food in MFP, and choosing food with a lot of Protein, something the dietitian asked me to do at my last visit. With these two things combined with eating at home the calories naturally come down to the 1200-2000 range depending on the day. I am also drinking a lot of Water, trying out some flavored waters I might use after surgery, and eating any time I am hungry so that I don't feel deprived or like I'm running out of willpower.

However, I am going to compromise a bit by having 2 times per month to go to a favorite place with my husband and enjoy a meal there. This limits the # of "favorite places" and "last meals" I can have, instead of hitting up every restaurant in town frantically as I think of them I'll be visiting 10-12 of them in a deliberate way and having an actual date/evening out. To me this is a more mindful version of food funerals where I will be able to truly enjoy and savor the meal and the occasion. Honestly I don't know if it's the right thing to do, lol, but I feel more calm and stable about my chances for success since making these changes the last few weeks.

So you should be having surgery in Decemberish? That's my plan. Are you doing VSG or RNY?

Thanks all for the awesome feed back! Little Green, I am shooting for Deecmber but very new in the process. I still have to meet with the surgeon but my desire at this point is VSG. I think that things will be much easier when I have a nutritionist on board. Right now I am aiming for 1500-1700 and averaging the the 1700. I try to keep my carbs under 100g and my protien 120 or higher. I MAY be shorting myself a bit calorie wise but I am not feeling hungry per se, I just struggle with unplanned surperise pizza. I feel pretty good this past week so I am going to keep with that plan.. I like the idea of taking a day to eat out. I have really cut that out of my plan because I am so habit driven to do it. Baby steps...

Edited by Egomom