Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Five months out and exhausted

Hello everyone! I'm five months post-op and have lost 55 pounds. My goal is to lose 10 pounds a month over the next three months if I can during the "honeymoon" period. I'm currently eating Keto (high fat/ low carb/ meeting or exceeding Protein goals) with an average of 1100 calories a day. I'm shooting for 1000 but 1100 has been the average for two weeks.

I'm keeping paper food logs in addition to tracking in My Fitness Pal as part of new mindful eating therapy. On paper I also track when I eat, where I eat, my hunger level, cravings, and what the circumstances and feelings are. My therapist noticed that I wrote repeatedly how tired I felt even on days when I'd slept well the night before. Every two weeks I also have had something of a binge day (1500-2000 calories, usually high carb).

The therapist told me that I'm exhausted and spiking with calories/ carbs like this because I'm eating too little and am going too many hours without eating. I eat three meals and a snack every day and am hitting my macros, particularly the protein. On that I range from 65-100 grams, usually landing at around 75 grams.

Questions for you: is feeling so tired at this point normal? Is 1100 calories too low at 5 months? I'm in my late 40s and am 5'4". I haven't been exercising as much bc I'm so drained at the end of the day. I get in an average of 6,000 steps a day when I had been hitting 10-12,000 and eating about 1300-1400 calories a day.

The therapist is encouraging me to tune in to what my body wants and eat what it wants, but I've always had a hard time knowing what it wants vs what I crave.

Also meant to add that I don't want to stop Keto bc it really helps reduce cravings.

I was exhausted for a while when I was about where you are. I think it's to be expected. I'd take any dietary advice from a counselor with a grain of salt - she's a counselor, not a doctor or surgeon or nutritionist.

I think your calorie level is about right for your size and where you are. If you're still losing weight, I'd keep doing what you're doing until your doctor tells you otherwise.

But I'd talk to your surgeon and nutritionist. Also consider asking for bloodwork orders to check your Vitamin levels.

You might be a little dehydrated, this will also make you tired. Everything else your doing sounds spot on!

I would up your Vitamin B and have your Vitamin D checked...

Im still only eatting 650-800 a day my dietitian wants me at 1200 but its hard im hungry all thr time but when i eat i get in 3-4 bits and im over it busting at the seems so i snack on things that do not keep me full like an apple or cheese or a Premier Protein shake im at month 4 losing my mind either starving or over full i cant find that comfortable balance

BigBodyBombFace

Im still only eatting 650-800 a day my dietitian wants me at 1200 but its hard im hungry all thr time but when i eat i get in 3-4 bits and im over it busting at the seems so i snack on things that do not keep me full like an apple or cheese or a Premier Protein shake im at month 4 losing my mind either starving or over full i cant find that comfortable balance

BigBodyBombFace

Sometimes what you eat matters in terms of comfort. Keep track of what you're eating when you feel overly full and see if there's a pattern.

For instance, I can't comfortably eat more than about 2 ounces of beef, but I can eat 5 ounces of chicken.< br>

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. My nutritionist thinks I should keep the calorie level where it is but add in a serving of fruit and a serving of grains per day. I don't know what I think of that since it'll kick me out of ketosis. I'm consulting with my psychiatrist this morning bc it's possible that this is depression, which is something I've struggled with since childhood.