Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a lurker here. My wife got the sleave and I am debating on getting it done. For me it's a personal decision and I won't go into the details.

My question is I have a little bit of acid reflux from time to time, a little bit of insomnia, depression, and I sleep with a CPAP, and I have fatigue. I hear alot of stuff about post op complications and problems dealing with some of these issues.

So I guess my actual question is post op have these things worsened? Is it that you are still dealing with these things and that you thought that they would have gone away, or they seem worse due to your weakened state?

I have lost weight before when I was younger and felt great and all of these issues went away, but I did that without surgery. If I got the surgery will the same thing happen? Or am I going to have side effects?

I can totally live my life comfortable with these issues as of right now, but if they increased then I don't know if I would want to have the surgery.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi @Jordan Flake, minus the depression I had all the same issues. Every single one has improved in the 3 months since my surgery. I don't think anyone can tell you which, if any, side effects you may have after surgery because we are all so different. You just need to weigh the pros and cons and go with what you are most comfortable with. Good luck with everything!

Hi [mention=318241]Jordan Flake[/mention], minus the depression I had all the same issues. Every single one has improved in the 3 months since my surgery. I don't think anyone can tell you which, if any, side effects you may have after surgery because we are all so different. You just need to weigh the pros and cons and go with what you are most comfortable with. Good luck with everything!

I agree with this. I've had depression and I can't tell if the surgery has effected this or the hormonal changes. I weighed up the pros and cons and found the pros are much better than the cons. I'm 8 months post op.

Thanks for responding! I realize that everyone is different and will have different reactions to weight loss.

I also see alot of people on here posting about side effects and problems. I kinda just wanted to figure out if these are new to them after the surgery or if they had these problems before and they just didn't go away.

Hi [mention=318241]Jordan Flake[/mention], minus the depression I had all the same issues. Every single one has improved in the 3 months since my surgery. I don't think anyone can tell you which, if any, side effects you may have after surgery because we are all so different. You just need to weigh the pros and cons and go with what you are most comfortable with. Good luck with everything!

Have you been able to get off your CPAP yet, that thing bugs me.

I get it. I mean I do have a bad side effect from surgery, I had sciatic nerve issues and since the moment I woke up both legs in the sides are numb and have shooting pain. During the surgery the way they had me on the table caused compression of the nerve. I now need to go for an MRI and see the ortho. This may sound horrible, but the reality is that at 410 pounds I had already messed up the nerve due to the weight pushing on the sciatic nerve, so I do have a bad side effect, but without the surgery I would have probably had worse sciatic nerve pain anyway and the benefits of the reduced weight have been a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

I have not had a sleeping test yet, but I have noticed that the amount of pressure from the CPAP is causing my mouth to come open at night since the amount of fat in my neck and related related areas has decreased. So I will definitely need to have the pressure reduced. I am one of the rare people that after 16 years of use loves my cpap.

Edited by Navigating the Wilderness

Bear in mind that most people will only post when something is wrong and not when everything is going great. This site gets a lot of traffic so it may seem skewed that there are more people with complications than there really is. Not saying complications can't happen (it did to me), but that's part of the risk of any surgery.

All in all my well being has greatly improved. My sciatica before surgery left me only able to walk for a few minutes without my leg beginning to go numb and lots of pain. For about a month after surgery it went away completely. The pain has come back somewhat but nothing near as bad as it was. I also suffer from arthritis, and like Navigating said after carrying this weight around for most of my life some damage is done that can't be repaired completely. Naturally I ask myself if I would have gotten the surgery done a few years ago would I have avoided all the pain from the sciatica because it got worse as my weight went up.

The one thing you listed that would be of concern is the acid reflux. Do some searches for that and GERD on here and you'll get a lot of threads on that topic. Some people choose to go with a bypass over the sleeve if they have reflux issues. It's something you would want to discuss with your surgeon to help decide which procedure would be best.

Despite having some complications after surgery I have no regrets and wish I would have done this years ago when I first started considering WLS.

Hi!

What@Orionburn said about Gerd is really consistent with what I read. Your surgeon or a surgeon can provide insight into which will be better for you and your conditions.

I had the bypass a little over a year ago and am glad I did it. It has been really difficult, not gonna lie. The complications I have are different now. Overall I have less problems, can do more and am happier.

Depression can be a tricky beast. For me, it has been a constant up and down rollercoaster. A good therapist or group can help. I still have to work on keeping depression and anxiety at bay. But I had depression for a long time before and still have it now. It is just one of those things that won't go away for me. Life is still good.
For some people it does lessen a lot though so there is hope.

Would your quality of life be better with less weight and potentially less of these problems?

Like the other people said, you don't know what will come and having the surgery is walking into the unknown. For the majority of us all the work has been worth it. Good luck on your decision!

P.s. @navigating the wilderness I love the guinea pig picture!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you all for the replies. I will be self paying for the surgery and have to save up but I think I am going to go ahead with it. My mil and wife have both had it done as well as about 6 other people that I know. They all recommend it and say they wish they did it sooner. I am the type of person that thinks and learns about ALL the options before I make up my mind.