Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm so bummed. Surgery was 3/23. HW was 405 on 1/18/17. Day of surgery was 379. Today I am 6.5 weeks out and I'm at 352.8. 26.2lbs lost since surgery. The majority of that was in the first couple weeks after surgery since then it's been 1 to 2 lbs a week. I accepted that as I had not started my exercise routine until I was cleared to do so last week at my 6 week follow up appointment. I immediately started exercising. My surgeon told me to incorporate resistance training, which I did. I'm sore but I loved it. And this week I only lost 0.2lbs. I don't understand. Is this a stall? And why am I losing slow? I have a hard time believing that my muscles retain Water from soreness. I'm right at where they want me to be nutrition wise too.

To add I eat around 800 calories a day, usually around 30g carbs a day, 30-40g fat per day, 90-100g of Protein a day. 64-70oz Fluid per day. This is where they want me. I have so much weight to lose so it doesn't seem right.

I'm so discouraged. I thought the weight came off fast in the first 6 months and then slowed down. Do your bodies really need to get "used" to things? Most things I read say people stall at the 3 or 4 week mark but I'm at the 6 week mark. Any advice, or experience would be very much appreciated!

-discouraged

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Don't fret. You are losing according to how most people lose. I have stalled for 3 weeks, and then overnight 5 lbs come off. I am 3 months out and have had 2 big stalls. You are 6 weeks out and have lost 26.2lbs. You are doing great. Keep with the plan and it will come off.

you'll need to lower your expectations a bit. You're probably reading about these people who lose 30 lbs the first month, and 20-25 lbs after, but those people are rare birds. Most people seem to drop 15-25 lbs the first month, and then 10-12 lbs for the next six months or so, then it drops even further. But as long as you're committed, you'll lose the weight. I've lost 234 lbs and I never had any huge drops. I lost 16 lbs the first month and 10-12 lbs a month after that (then, as I said, it starts slowing down after month 6 or 7). It adds up over time. You just have to stick with it, and the weight will come off.

I hear you! I lost like 16lbs the first week (no preop diet so that was a huge amount of water), then the next couple weeks were around 4-5 per week. But now weeks 7-13 have been more like 2lb a week. I too had the impression from my preop research that the weight just flew off the first 6 months. That's why it's the "honeymoon phase" right? But I guess everyone is different. As long as I'm still losing consistently I'm ok...the slow loss is hard though because I have a long way to go. Hang in there!!

Drink more Protein Shakes and eat more. After the first 8 weeks u don't need to be eating 800 calories a day. Exercise 30 mins daily everyday. I didn't start lifting weights till 6 months post op but walked hour daily until was ready for aerobics at 4 months post op. Sometimes u have to eat more to get things moving. The honeymooon phase u can eat petty much anything and you'll either dump or vomit and won't gain weight. That will pass.

On 5/8/2017 at 11:53 AM, YeaMe said:

Don't fret. You are losing according to how most people lose. I have stalled for 3 weeks, and then overnight 5 lbs come off. I am 3 months out and have had 2 big stalls. You are 6 weeks out and have lost 26.2lbs. You are doing great. Keep with the plan and it will come off.

its crazy how the human body works! So frustrating, but glad to hear that this is common with others. Thank you for your message.

On 5/8/2017 at 4:14 PM, catwoman7 said:

you'll need to lower your expectations a bit. You're probably reading about these people who lose 30 lbs the first month, and 20-25 lbs after, but those people are rare birds. Most people seem to drop 15-25 lbs the first month, and then 10-12 lbs for the next six months or so, then it drops even further. But as long as you're committed, you'll lose the weight. I've lost 234 lbs and I never had any huge drops. I lost 16 lbs the first month and 10-12 lbs a month after that (then, as I said, it starts slowing down after month 6 or 7). It adds up over time. You just have to stick with it, and the weight will come off.

Congrats on your loss, that is amazing success! Im glad to hear this is normal. I see these people that lose a bunch on instagram. I follow a lot of WLS profiles, just seems like they are losing faster than me and some of them arent even exercising, and I see them post food I couldnt even imagine touching at this phase! Sounds like I am more normal than I thought. No wonder they were not concerned at my appointment last week.

22 hours ago, Sadiebug said:

I hear you! I lost like 16lbs the first week (no preop diet so that was a huge amount of water), then the next couple weeks were around 4-5 per week. But now weeks 7-13 have been more like 2lb a week. I too had the impression from my preop research that the weight just flew off the first 6 months. That's why it's the "honeymoon phase" right? But I guess everyone is different. As long as I'm still losing consistently I'm ok...the slow loss is hard though because I have a long way to go. Hang in there!!

Yes it is hard! And discouraging when you see others. I think I just need to stop comparing myself to others and focus on what my doctors and nutritionist have set up for me.

7 hours ago, blondie66 said:

Drink more Protein Shakes and eat more. After the first 8 weeks u don't need to be eating 800 calories a day. Exercise 30 mins daily everyday. I didn't start lifting weights till 6 months post op but walked hour daily until was ready for aerobics at 4 months post op. Sometimes u have to eat more to get things moving. The honeymooon phase u can eat petty much anything and you'll either dump or vomit and won't gain weight. That will pass.

Hi, thank you for your comment. Are you saying I should be eating more than 800 calories? Im kind of maxed out with my food options (im still on the soft food phase per my nutritionist instruction). I drink about 1-2 Protein Shakes a day to meet my goal of 100g. How much Protein were you on at my stage (6.5 weeks currently is where im at). For the strength training part it was per my surgeons direction. He advised me to do resistance/strength training 3-4 days a week and 2 days a week of high intensity cardio (like 30 seconds fast, 30 seconds normal pace). He told me to not focuse on the treadmill or eliptical because it would be hard on my joints at this point, Im guessing due to my higher starting weight. I thought it was strange that he told me to focus on building muscles but the way he explained it to me is that as you build muscle your body burns more calories. So at rest Ill be burning more calories as i build more muscle. Still seems strange to me because I feel like I should be focused on burning fat. I know strength training is part of the process but I dont know. I feel slightly lost.

You will also find that each individual processes the intake of food differently, so you have to tweak it to find your sweet spot. My dietician wanted me on 600-700 calories a day for the first 6 months. I hadn't lost any weight for 3 weeks so I upped my calories to 850-900, and the weight started falling off the next day. I also eat a lot of carbs, where most people keep them low. I don't eat bread or potatoes, but I drink a lot of milk, and eat fruit. I have to have them to be able to work out or I just stand there due to lack of energy which is pointless. Our drs./dieticians all have their "plan" which honestly, doesn't necessarily work across the board.

Hi, thank you for your comment. Are you saying I should be eating more than 800 calories? Im kind of maxed out with my food options (im still on the soft food phase per my nutritionist instruction). I drink about 1-2 Protein Shakes a day to meet my goal of 100g. How much Protein were you on at my stage (6.5 weeks currently is where im at). For the strength training part it was per my surgeons direction. He advised me to do resistance/strength training 3-4 days a week and 2 days a week of high intensity cardio (like 30 seconds fast, 30 seconds normal pace). He told me to not focuse on the treadmill or eliptical because it would be hard on my joints at this point, Im guessing due to my higher starting weight. I thought it was strange that he told me to focus on building muscles but the way he explained it to me is that as you build muscle your body burns more calories. So at rest Ill be burning more calories as i build more muscle. Still seems strange to me because I feel like I should be focused on burning fat. I know strength training is part of the process but I dont know. I feel slightly lost.

Hi there! If you're still on the soft food part just eat what you can...I know not much!! Cottage cheese and I used Premier shakes on ice. Just keep at it and walk as much as you can it honestly is the best exercise at the beginning. The weight will come off you're still very early in process. You will find you'll lose more later when you move into normal food. But don't rush it! It's all part of the process. Good luck!! I lost 150 pounds but it took just under 2 years...120 first year and rest slowly afterwards...basically 1/2 my body.

Only weigh yourself once a week! Same day in morning don't become a slave to the scale and you will also find one day u think hey I feel slimmer and weigh yourself and you'll be down 5 pounds or your clothes are loser.

Hi there! If you're still on the soft food part just eat what you can...I know not much!! Cottage cheese and I used Premier shakes on ice. Just keep at it and walk as much as you can it honestly is the best exercise at the beginning. The weight will come off you're still very early in process. You will find you'll lose more later when you move into normal food. But don't rush it! It's all part of the process. Good luck!! I lost 150 pounds but it took just under 2 years...120 first year and rest slowly afterwards...basically 1/2 my body.
Only weigh yourself once a week! Same day in morning don't become a slave to the scale and you will also find one day u think hey I feel slimmer and weigh yourself and you'll be down 5 pounds or your clothes are loser.

Just wanted to add weight training is great and I do some weights but I waited about 4 months I use light weights and do mini trampoline high intensity workout for 30 mins. Exercising has helped my metabolism which seems higher now. But still think while heavier walking is the best :)

I started back at Bootcamp at 6 weeks postop which includes weight training, cardio, etc. I contacted my nutritionist and she upped my calories to 900-1100 per day with +80g Protein. You may want to confirm you shouldn't be moved up in calories and protein.

I also had several long stalls. I particularly noticed that I stalled for 2-3 weeks after I started exercising. I truly believe my body was confused and needed to adjust to intense workouts again. The weight starting falling off after that.

Best of luck! I know you'll look back at this post one day and laugh that you were ever worried! :)

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app