Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to site and considering surgery

Hello all, I am new to the board and seeking some guidance and advice. I have gained so much weight and regardless what I do or dont do I cannot change and my number keep going up!! I am 36 and growing up was heathy weight then grew an obsession with being thin and developed anorexia. It stuck with me until early 20's. Since then I have been gaining weight. Right now I am 5'9" and about 240 pounds. I feel so horrible, worthless, unworthy person among many more feelings. I have been diagnosed wiyh fibromyalgia, chronic pain, insomnia, knee, ankle, back pain and depression. I honestly feel so helpless and worthless. I cannot even bare to be intiminate with my hubby, that is just wrong. I have tried every diet, life style changes, coaches, groups, books, workout sets/methods and with little or no changes . I am thinking of surgery. What are great tips and ways to get the ball rolling? Is there a slower weightloss surgery that would prevent or limit the saggy skin?

I need help. Thank you

Lucky you, you are only 36! If you think your knee pain is bad now, just wait. I'm over 50 and just got the courage to get HEALTHY. Get to a Bariatric Center of Excellence, pick a surgeon and have surgery. We all have struggled and haven't been successful on our own, these tools work. Regarding saggy skin, YAHOO, it means you have lost weight. I'm getting sleaved in a month and I am so excited to live again.

Hello all, I am new to the board and seeking some guidance and advice. I have gained so much weight and regardless what I do or dont do I cannot change and my number keep going up!! I am 36 and growing up was heathy weight then grew an obsession with being thin and developed anorexia. It stuck with me until early 20's. Since then I have been gaining weight. Right now I am 5'9" and about 240 pounds. I feel so horrible, worthless, unworthy person among many more feelings. I have been diagnosed wiyh fibromyalgia, chronic pain, insomnia, knee, ankle, back pain and depression. I honestly feel so helpless and worthless. I cannot even bare to be intiminate with my hubby, that is just wrong. I have tried every diet, life style changes, coaches, groups,  books, workout sets/methods and with little or no changes . I am thinking of surgery. What are great tips and ways to get the ball rolling? Is there a slower weightloss surgery that would prevent or limit the saggy skin?
I need help. Thank you

I can relate to how you are feeling.
My weight has caused me to feel worthless, hopeless, suicidal and lost.
I am 38 years old, 6 foot 1 and 420 pounds.
I am currently pursuing gastric sleeve surgery with a target date of August.
I can no longer tolerate being in my own body and have to do something.
I do not know the answer to your question about sagging skin, so I apologize for that.
I have decided on the sleeve due to its proven results.
I would not want the lap band as I have read about too many people not having long term success.
I would not want bypass just for personal reasons.
I would say, you should at least go to a weight loss surgery seminar or meet with a trusted surgeon in your area.
I hope this helps.

I agree: attend a weight loss surgery seminar in your area. Many of your questions will be answered. I found it helpful to read The Big Book on the Gastric Sleeve: Everything You Need to Know to Lose Weight and Live Well with the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. There are books from the same author on the other surgies, too. I have another book I havent read yet, Mindset Breakthrough: Achieve Weightloss Surgery Success. This last one was written by a bariatric surgery patient, so consider her individual results when reading.
Youve made the decision to do something, so thats a big first step! God luck in your journey[emoji4]

11 hours ago, Large.and.sick.of.it said:

Hello all, I am new to the board and seeking some guidance and advice. I have gained so much weight and regardless what I do or dont do I cannot change and my number keep going up!! I am 36 and growing up was heathy weight then grew an obsession with being thin and developed anorexia. It stuck with me until early 20's. Since then I have been gaining weight. Right now I am 5'9" and about 240 pounds. I feel so horrible, worthless, unworthy person among many more feelings. I have been diagnosed wiyh fibromyalgia, chronic pain, insomnia, knee, ankle, back pain and depression. I honestly feel so helpless and worthless. I cannot even bare to be intiminate with my hubby, that is just wrong. I have tried every diet, life style changes, coaches, groups, books, workout sets/methods and with little or no changes . I am thinking of surgery. What are great tips and ways to get the ball rolling? Is there a slower weightloss surgery that would prevent or limit the saggy skin?

I need help. Thank you

I can relate with you. I have tried every single diet plan and purchased nutrition for dummy's, diet for dummy's lol.

I broke my ankle at the gym trying to lose weight and now run the risk of breaking the other ankle (pretty much any day now at this point).

I am very self conscious of my body. I do not like it when my bf, looks at me naked so I hide (although he does not care and still thinks I am beautiful).

The best tips to get the ball rolling and this is what I did, is the following:

1) Call your insurance company and make sure that bariatric surgery is covered.

1a) Ask what are the guidelines such as weight, bmi, comorbidities, required wait times (3 - 6 months or anytime for surgery).

1b) Confirm whether or not you will have to be at a center of excellence.

2) Start looking for a surgeon. The more views and rating the better. You can also look here on this website as many wls patients have referred their surgeons.

3) Read up on the surgery and watch a lot of videos. The more informed you are, the better you will be at adapting and using the tool properly.

I hope this helps. I am sure that I am missing some steps in there.

Make sure you really have your eating disorder in check before you have surgery. WLS makes it very easy to fall into eating disorders or have old issues resurface.

I suggest you start working with a counselor and continue to do so through the whole process and for up to 2 years post op.

WLS is basically a person with an eating disorder dream. You can go hours and even days without eating or feeling hungry and you can make yourself vomit very easily.

If you feel depressed and worthless now, the hormone dump from rapid fast loss and the rapid changes to your body will only make you more depressed.

You need to get to a good place mentally before you are ready for surgery. Losing weight won't solve all your problems, you will just trade them for different problems.

17 hours ago, queendeborahbee said:

Lucky you, you are only 36! If you think your knee pain is bad now, just wait. I'm over 50 and just got the courage to get HEALTHY. Get to a Bariatric Center of Excellence, pick a surgeon and have surgery. We all have struggled and haven't been successful on our own, these tools work. Regarding saggy skin, YAHOO, it means you have lost weight. I'm getting sleaved in a month and I am so excited to live again.

Thank you for the advice. I am worried of my joints and pain. I already have arthritis in my ankles with bone spurs, plantar fasciitis and 4 knee surgeries.

Good job of you taking the steps to get healthy.

Edited by Large.and.sick.of.it

17 hours ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

I can relate to how you are feeling.
My weight has caused me to feel worthless, hopeless, suicidal and lost.
I am 38 years old, 6 foot 1 and 420 pounds.
I am currently pursuing gastric sleeve surgery with a target date of August.
I can no longer tolerate being in my own body and have to do something.
I do not know the answer to your question about sagging skin, so I apologize for that.
I have decided on the sleeve due to its proven results.
I would not want the lap band as I have read about too many people not having long term success.
I would not want bypass just for personal reasons.
I would say, you should at least go to a weight loss surgery seminar or meet with a trusted surgeon in your area.
I hope this helps.

Thank you Walter. It is really a tough situation and feeling. I feel like my friends and family doesnt truly understand. Thank yoy for your insight and research you've found. I have no idea of what type. I do have a MD appointment on monday to discuss.

I wish you all the best with your journey.

Thank you all for your reply and info. I have a doctors appointment on Monday to discuss. What a great group and resource you all are.

Have a great day!!

The hard part is to be honest, so here goes I see that your weight is a catalyst for your mental health... but until you actually deal with your mental health your weight will ALWAYS be an issue. Before you seek life altering surgery consider please seeking professional help for your mental health and once you are healthy that way make an unbiased decision of whether or not you NEED weight loss surgery. Please know I wish you many blessings.