Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My generations jane fonda...

I think that this generation will have quite a few "hanoi jane's".

Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon,etc. I am pretty conservative but I believe EVERYONE has the right to his/her own opinion. My opinion is no more right or wrong that a liberal's opinion. The celebrities seem to think their opinion is more important than everybody else's. I think that is what pi**es me off more than anything else. Why do they think we give a rat's behind about their opinion??

Haven't you figured it out yet?! They are brilliant. They can memorize a script. Oh and someone pays them lots of money to do it. What a con. LOL

I'm so tired of their opinions being shoved down my throat. It's so annoying.

I don't look at it as them shoving their opinions down everyone's throats as much as the media shoving their opinions down everyone's throats. The media thinking that they're important enough people to cover doesn't necessarily mean the celebrities themselves think that their opinions are more important. I mean, I don't blame Angelina Jolie for being covered constantly by the media. I blame the media.

Although everyone knows that poor Elvis had his problems, I remember an interview with him where a reporter asked him about his opinion about politics. His response was along the lines of....... I am an entertainer. I am not a politician. My opinions are my own and I get paid to sing. ( or something like that) You know I was just a kid and that impressed me and I still remember it. He was wearing a blue suit. (Don't laugh but I think it was when Nixon made him a drug agent or something).

laurend - you're right in a sense the media does report on it but these celebrities know what they are doing. The know that everything they say will get printed somewhere. However, I do agree with you that not all celebrities are like that and yes they are hounded. Some are smart and choose to keep their personal and political opinions to themselves.

Although everyone knows that poor Elvis had his problems, I remember an interview with him where a reporter asked him about his opinion about politics. His response was along the lines of....... I am an entertainer. I am not a politician. My opinions are my own and I get paid to sing. ( or something like that) You know I was just a kid and that impressed me and I still remember it. He was wearing a blue suit. (Don't laugh but I think it was when Nixon made him a drug agent or something).
Interesting (not just about Nixon making him a drug agent). I just don't think we should criticize celebrities for being open about their opinions just because they happen to get put on the nightly news. I mean, I think we should all have the right to be open about our beliefs and our opinions. Being famous doesn't take away someone's right to an opinion. Honestly, I think everyone should have the right to say what they think. That opinion being shown on the news doesn't mean that it carries any more or less weight than anyone else's. It's not their fault if some idiot decides that they want to change what they believe just because some celebrity had a certain opinion.

I don't think celebrities should be above criticism, especially when they use their status for photo ops with dispicable dictators or leaders of countries hostile to ours. Seeing pictures of Sean Penn or Danny Glover kissing up to a Chavez or Castro makes my blood boil. What gets to me the most is that the leader they are shaking hands with would never allow one of his own countrymen the freedom to do what these guys do.

I don't think celebrities should be above criticism, especially when they use their status for photo ops with dispicable dictators or leaders of countries hostile to ours. Seeing pictures of Sean Penn or Danny Glover kissing up to a Chavez or Castro makes my blood boil. What gets to me the most is that the leader they are shaking hands with would never allow one of his own countrymen the freedom to do what these guys do.
I guess I'm just having trouble putting my opinion into words. I don't think their opinion is any more or less valid than my own or yours. It just makes me incredibly uncomfortable when people say that they should keep their mouths shut or that they should leave the country. I mean, what does our country stand for, if not the freedom to believe what you want and speak about it? So what if they are celebrities? They have the same rights as the rest of us. Judging from how vocal we are now, we certainly wouldn't shut up if we had the opportunity to have our opinions covered by the media. Criticism is one thing. Saying that they should be forced to leave the country is another.

Laurend: You are quoting my post in your response, but I never said anything about forcing anyone to leave the country or that they shouldn't express their opinions. I am just using my right to state my opinion that I hate to see celebrities use their status to flaunt their disrespect for our country by kissing up to dictators and the like.

Laurend: You are quoting my post in your response, but I never said anything about forcing anyone to leave the country or that they shouldn't express their opinions. I am just using my right to state my opinion that I hate to see celebrities use their status to flaunt their disrespect for our country by kissing up to dictators and the like.

I know you didn't. I never said you didn't have a right to state your opinion. I was trying to state my belief that while criticism of a person or their opinion is all well and good, people saying that celebrities (or other people) that state certain opinions should be forced to leave the country isn't Kosher. I wasn't trying to imply that you carried that belief, just trying to figure out a way to state my own opinion more clearly.

I was trying to refine my opinion, since it came across as you believing that my opinion was that celebrities shouldn't be criticized, which wasn't what I was trying to say. Does that clear it up?

Remember Natalie Maines from the Dixie Chicks? She got up on a stage in the UK and bashed our president. Keep in mind that I am no fan of George W. either.( Sorry, W supporters) I just felt that was way over the top. It also pretty much cost her her career especially in the country music circles anyway. I am just saying that I think some celebrities live in a bubble surrounded by fans and staff telling them how wonderful they are. Perhaps after a few years, they begin to feel smarter than they are, or we are .....who knows their motivation? Since they KNOW that when they speak people do listen, it is hard for me to believe that they are surprised when people make a big deal about what they think. I do agree that anyone who would change their opinion on an issue to match their favorite celebrity is a moron.......

This is actually quite funny. None of these guys would be cool with Rosie's homosexuality were she to live in the Middle East.

And as for freedom of speech or the freedom to make an ass of yourself, I am all for it. :heh: It is part of the added fun of living in a democracy. :rose:

I can't get my computer to play the video. Is it just what the description said, an invitation to her, or did she take them up on the invitation? If it's just the invitation, they can invite anyone they want. Hell, they could send green, mrspruett, and myself invitations to come, but that doesn't mean we all sympathize with them.