Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excruciating Internal Incision Pain

Hey everyone, I posted a few days ago on this same topic, but my issue has gotten worse. Surgery date 1/19/17. Incision sites externally all healing fine. Thy could not look any better. They're itching and on the road to recovery. I'm having no complications aside from internal pain near upper left incision site. It's an unbearable burning and pulling sensation. I've spoken to the doctors at length. They say it's normal. You're only a week post-op. I've had two children and numerous kidney stones. This is up there!! I'm fine if laying or sitting back. To get up and walk or even go to the bathroom I'm holding my abdomen in agony. Also I was prescribed zero pain meds aside from Tylenol. Is that normal? I just needed to vent. I've been on the internet searching for answers, relief, just something to get through. I never expected this agony. I've had laparoscopic gall bladder surgery and did very well. I'm just so confused. Anyone going through or went through this? If so, how long did it last? Did anything provide relief? Much love, Melissa.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had the exact same thing. You can read my posts. For me, and what made it feel better is walking around for two days while holding my stomach. It was so annoying because I couldn't do anything with my hands while I walked except support my belly. There was a deep suture that needed to heal while I was in motion. I was in so much pain every time I moved that it was healing in a sitting position. And I needed to force myself to walk through it. It sucks so bad I just made myself start walking and that stitch started relaxing and healing in the right way. Instead of pulling and burning. I also used a heating pad at night to relax that deep suture and muscle. When I decided to walk through the pain, it was gone in 2 days. And by day 4 I felt nothing at all. Best of luck!

I had a particular issue with my largest incision. I have a lump underneath the skin and it's been much more sore than the others. My dr explained to me that specific incision was sewn from the inside out. There was much more damage to the surround tissue and muscle. I babied mine a little bit more and I'm feeling great, I was sleeve on 1/11/17

I had surgery on January 25th and just came home on 27th. They gave me script for hycet. And told me to get liquid Tylenol for full pain. I never had pain like this.

Sent from my B1-810 using the BariatricPal App

hey there. I had a hernia repair at the same time as my surgery, but only because it was emergent, as they found out when they got in there. I will have to have it fixed with mesh later on, but for now am babying that spot. It doesn't hurt, just itches.

IDK if you had a drain, but that incision is where I had the most of my uncomfortable feelings. Your doctor should have told you to look out for pancreas pain, which is in the upper left quadrant and the doctors should be monitoring that, because they move stuff around, and your pancreas is right there.

constant pain, fever, pain up to like a 10, go to the er. No one will fault you for it and insist on a cat scan of your pancreas.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/pancreatitis

good luck and feel better!

Edited by melliecat

Same here! I really thought something was wrong but it is normal and one day it hurts really bad and the next it is gone. Really weird, i agree though i had a c.section a year and a half ago and that was a piece of cake compared to this. sleeping wuth the heating pad helped me a lot.

Sent from my SM-J700T using the BariatricPal App

I had the pulling sensation and the liquid pain meds felt like they navigated directly to my incision and it would light me on fire. I found most of my relief with ice chips and an abdominal binder. Only when up and moving it definitely made walking post op so much easier and not as painful. Take it slow N keep your chin up. At one point I was cursing why I Spent money to do this to myself... sleeved 11/9/2016.. I still have moments that pull when I turn or bend a certain way but it has gotten much better. Good luck I hope you find relief and remember walk walk sip sip you can do this!!

I had surgery the same day, and experience that pain when I overdo things physically. It was a lot of internal trauma. Also, I think the larger one is the more painful incisions can be from the force the surgeon had to use, to the weight of stomach hanging which all puts pressure on it.

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

I'm so sorry that you are hurting so much! can't completely relate to you because I really had very little pain with my surgery, but I do remember that about day 4 or so, that same incision spot started hurting worse than the others and hurt more than it had in the prior days. I have read that that is where the most work is done, and I think is the spot where they pull your stomach out of. So I think it has more trauma than the other incisions, so its pretty normal for it to hurt worse than the others. But I do remember it only hurt like that for a few days, and then it was gone. Walking definitely seemed to help. Hang in there, I promise it will get better.

It seems there are some that have less pain than others. I had a decent amount of pain, but it was also my first major surgery and I haven't had kids, so I figure I don't know what real pain is, lol... but the first few nights out of the hospital, I was really grateful to have some Tramadol...something that was okay for me too take at that stage. Without it, I was too uncomfortable to sleep, or walk much, so it really helped with both. After about a week, the pain had subsided. I hope you are feeling better soon! It's no fun to be in pain!

Thank you all so much for your responses!! You truly have no idea what the support has done for me. Still really struggling, but taking it one day at a time. I'm also holding the area while getting up and walking. I feel as though sitting and, or laying is not the answer. I've been through pain and by far this has been one of my biggest struggles; however, I will prevail. Especially with all the help from this site...it's been my saving grace. Thank you all again!!

Mine was a strange pain, with my other surgeries it was like the pain slowly dissipated over the weeks but this one it's was like excruciating pain one day then I was sleeping on my stomach the next. It was like over night my pain vanished. Late at night after I full day I too would get that pulling pain but it was usually gone by morning. Good luck!