Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time after referral

Hi everyone! I just received my referral today from my physician to do the weight loss surgery in fremont kaiser. I completed the seminar. I was wondering how long once your doctor refers you does it take to hear from the bariatric center and start the whole evaluation?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I am also waiting to hear from my bariatric clinic. I submitted my patient information and did an online seminar 1.5 weeks ago. I called the other day to verify that they weren't waiting on anything on my end. The receptionist said my insurance was contacted and approved (called insurance and was told inpatient surgery is covered at 100% after referral!) and they are just waiting on the nurse to go through my paperwork before making my first appointment. She said it may take a week to hear, so I'm hoping to hear early next week! I want to get the ball rolling and hopefully have surgery over the summer as I work in the school district.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am also waiting to hear from my bariatric clinic. I submitted my patient information and did an online seminar 1.5 weeks ago. I called the other day to verify that they weren't waiting on anything on my end. The receptionist said my insurance was contacted and approved (called insurance and was told inpatient surgery is covered at 100% after referral!) and they are just waiting on the nurse to go through my paperwork before making my first appointment. She said it may take a week to hear, so I'm hoping to hear early next week! I want to get the ball rolling and hopefully have surgery over the summer as I work in the school district.

I completely understand. I work at a school district too and I want to get it done asap either February break or April break. I don't want to wait until summer. Are you with kaiser? Knowing myself, ill probably call tomorrow before the weekend to check how it works...im so impatient ahah

I am going through Fremont kaiser too. I got a call literally the day after my doctor referred me. Are you working on losing weight now? They will require you to lose 10%. I wish I would have started before I met with the surgeon so I could speed up the process. I am currently half way to my goal weight for surgery.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I heard the 10% varies depending on your bmi. And I am not right now because my bmi is borderline 40 and i dont have comorbidities so don't want to risk going below it until I'm approved. I hope they call me tomorrow too. When do you plan on having your surgery? ish

I am hoping for March. They go based on your highest recorded weight in the last year. If you have been to the doctor and been weighed at something close to your weight now you would still be approved if you fall under 40%. They don't actually approve you for surgery until after you lose the weight. You will have to attend a group orientation next that will just go over the surgeries and the diet. Then you have another appointment one-to-one with a surgeon and the dietitian to talk about what surgery you want and what diet you will be do before and after surgery. Then you have to lose the weight, then go through a psych exam (when you are within 5lbs of your goal weight), then when you meet your goal you will get approved. They told us in orientation that everyone would be required to lose weight.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I just had the center on the phone, they called me to book the phone appointment with the surgeon. I thought it was an in-person appointment. Anybody else had a phone appointment? Mine is for january 25th :( I wish I had one earlier lol

I am going to loyolas bariatric clinic in Chicago. I finally got a call today to schedule my appointments. I have to see the bariatrican, dietitian and psychologist in that order. Unfortunately the first appointment with the bariatrican is march 8th! And then the other 2 appointments are on march 16. I am thankfully on the waiting list to see if someone cancels sooner. I sure hope so, considering it's 2 months away.

I am going to loyolas bariatric clinic in Chicago. I finally got a call today to schedule my appointments. I have to see the bariatrican, dietitian and psychologist in that order. Unfortunately the first appointment with the bariatrican is march 8th! And then the other 2 appointments are on march 16. I am thankfully on the waiting list to see if someone cancels sooner. I sure hope so, considering it's 2 months away.

Oh no :( im sorry to hear for the wait. Good luck until March. I am already going crazy so I can't imagine

I got into contact with a Loyola WLS patient and was told 2 months was a good wait time for the initial appointment. I should still have a June or July surgery date with starting in early March. I won't have to have a sleep study (already diagnosed with sleep apnea and on cpap), so that will cut out on waiting time.

What kaiser are you with? I tried to call fremont but no one picked up :(

When you say orientation it's the one after the seminar right? If so, did you already have an appointment with your surgeon? I have my appointment on the 25th but I want to start the classes before

I wish I was able to get the surgery in NorCal but I guess if you are a SoCal patient then you have to get surgery at a Kaiser SoCal location. I don't have any family in SoCal which might make things difficult when it's time for surgery and recovery.

I live in Valencia and was referred to the Panorama City Kaiser. The orientation is basically an introduction to the Options program. From what I understand, the Options program is a 12 week class that meets weekly. The Options program is for Kaiser SoCal - Kaiser NorCal does not do the 12 week class from what I've heard. I believe it is after completing Options when I will have a consult with the surgeon. Guess I will find out more on Monday!