Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being banded on Monday

Hi my name is Jane. I am 52, have been overweight for as long as I can remember and I am being banded on Monday. I am having mixed emotions as the day gets nearer.:nervous Some days , hours or minutes I am so convinced that this is the best thing to do :clap2:and other times I wonder what am I setting myself up for.

Having said that my whole process of thinking about, researching and actually committing has been very fast. In all it has taken about 8 weeks since I first decided and went to an information night . From there I talked to my local doctor and then went for some blood tests etc before getting to see my surgeon. By the end of that first appointment I had a date booked and a month ago started on the Optifast. Over the month i have lost 8 kilos but today has been a no goer in I seemed to have told myself that it is okay to have the last meal etc.

I am not thinking banding is going to be a magic pill or cure having lurked in this and other message boards and reading other bandsters blogs I am well aware of what is ahead of me. I

I guess I am interested talking to others who are due to be banded soon as well as people who are older ( I have been looking at the over 50 thread) a

Hello Janer i am being banded on Wednesday the 26th September i am 57 and can relate to most of what you say,i am geting mixes emotions too

Having mixed emotions is very very normal! I told my DH that even though I knew I was making a very sound and good decision for me, as it got closer I would probably be scared so he needed to help me stay strong. Turns out on the day of surgery, I was so much more calm than he was!

If you are making the choice to be banded for the right reasons, you will be fine. Being nervous about any procedure is a normal reaction! I trusted my surgeon and the staff to take good care of me, which they did.

Good luck to you both!!!

I'm being banded on Oct. 5th. I too wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Then I think about how hard I've tried to do this on my own and have failed for years. Well, this is it. This will work. I believe it will and I will work hard to make sure that it does. I'm doing this for me. If for some reason, God forbid, it doesn't work, then I know for sure I"m meant to be fat forever and I will give up. But like I said, this WILL work.

:biggrin1:Hi Jane , I am 54 and have had my band two months. I love it!!!!! I do not have the craving to eat all the time anymore. I have not had any junk food or fast food in two months. I do not eat anywhere near what i used to. I also recovered from surgery very quickly. No problems other than gas pain in my shoulder, and that goes away in a few days. I also feel better than i have in years. Donna

:clap2::ranger::whoo:

Good morning all

What a pleasant surprise to wake up and find several replies .

I know having mixed emotions is fairly normal but it is great to hear that someone is going through the same thing sirusman it makes you feel you are not quiet as loony as you think. I know that I sit here and keep telling myself off for the doubts that crept in .

While I am not a strong believer in God I do like your attitude Barb that if it doesn't work then I am meant to be fat. Again in saying that I am not expecting a wonder drug/ cure I have to put in the hard yakka and watch what i eat etc.

I know I have made this decision to have the band done because I have failed at everything else I have tried ( well not really failed but once off diet weight goes back on) and I think it will give me that edge both mentally and physically that I can't get from dieting alone. It is so easy to break a diet but with the band it seems you have that physical barrier to help stop overeating. Does that make sense?

Donna I was glad to read your comments as that is exactly what I am hoping for.

Sorry to ramble and Jenn I have told my DH the same. He has been great through the whole process and supported me 100%

Good luck on Wednesday sirusman and take care all

Jane

Janer i too am now very nervous,only 4 days untill i am banded and just hope it all goes well and quick recovery.Let us know how are getting on after your surgery

Mike

I am sure we will both do really well . As I keep being told the nerves are a common thing but it doesn't really help when you mind is racing off in hundreds of different directions.

All the best for Wednesday and same with you keep us posted on your progress

Take care

Jane

Jane - You will be in my thoughts all day - big hugs!! I am nervous for you, and I am starting my TF shakes 3 times a day on Monday to coincide with your op. You have done so well sweetpea, you are inspiring! Focus on the positive, and chat whenever you need to, ramble, moan, winge, whatever you need to let out........... I beleive in you, you can do this - xxK

Hi Jane, I am 58 and was banded two months ago. I was very nervous before surgery and was wondering if I was doing the right thing. I'm so glad I went through with it. For the first time in my life I feel like I'm in control of my weight. I recovered very fast from surgery. Good luck to you.

Hi Janer

I truly understand how you feel. I have my tentative surgery scheduled for November 13th and I am going through the same emotions. One of the things that I found myself doing when the doubts come is READ THIS BOARD. The majority of people are doing well and most do not regret it. My primary care doctor that I have gone to for over 15 years is happy that I made this decision. I trust him obviously with my life so I feel that I am making the right decision. My biggest fear is that I live alone and I don't know if I will need help. I am actually putting everything in place now. My family have all moved out of town and my ex will look in on me. I am boarding the dog for three days she is only 17 pounds and yes!!! she is a puller but I think I will be able to handle her. But Janer I will think of you and you will be in my prayers. I KNOW that "we" are making the right decision and for what it is worth I hope that I can be a support to you as your are a support to me. Just think of how great we will look next summer. I almost can't wait to go shopping in a store outside of Ashley Stewart :clap2: so I applaud you in your decision for wanting a healthier life. Remind me of this the closer I get to 11/13

:):) Donna

Hi Karen

Good luck with the TF. I appreciate the thought. It is hard going but just keep repeating to yourself what good it is doing to you and your liver. I think I found the past week the hardest.

As for inspiration you have had a great influence on me since first coming across you on boards. Your zest for life and honesty has been great. Hope to see you on Wednesday if up to it.

Your time is near just remember that

Take care

jane

Hi Janer

s:clap2: so I applaud you in your decision for wanting a healthier life. Remind me of this the closer I get to 11/13

:):) Donna

No problems I will definetly do this and:whoo: I agree that no matter how nervous we maybe this is an excellent life choice. Like you I found the boards and people on it an inspiration

:clap2:

Thank you all for your support and I will catch up with you in a few days