Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am on Day 9 or 10 of my pre-op diet & IM GAINING WEIGHT! Why on this green earth would I be gaining weight?! My Fluid intake is phenomenal, I'm hitting every last calorie and macronutrient goal you can think of, yet, I'm gaining. I'm friggin gaining! I tried implementing exercise, I've tried not exercising and just focusing on the diet. Just why! This is so incredibly discouraging because I'm literally over here STARVING from the lack of calories and gaining, when I can easily eat whatever I want and gain!

I'm following the plan to a T just so I don't have any complications post surgery. But I'm starting to lose hope. I keep telling myself to stay off the scale, but how else will I know what's working?! Just. Someone. Anyone. Please tell me what could possibly be happening or how I can fix this!! I'm trying everything I can to NOT cheat, but things like this is what's pushing me closer to the edge.

*Also, I'm aware of Water retention, etc. But I lost 7 lbs the first week. Now, it's steadily going back up. It started going up by .4, then a pound, now a few pounds. *

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by UnkemptCaptain

A few pounds is normal fluctuation. You are going to hit some pauses along the way, which could be anything from hormones or stress making your body temporarily insane to Constipation. Generally the preop diet is about shrinking your liver, not about weight loss -- though weight loss is often a nice side benefit -- so keep in mind that you are doing this for a safe and successful surgery, not trying to hit some arbitrary weight loss goal.

I had a two week pre-op diet. The first week I lost 12 lbs. The second week, I went up a couple pounds in the first few days, despite doing everything correctly and eating the same way I had the first week. By the end of that week I was down 2 lbs from where I started the week, but losing 2 lbs in a week is a big difference from losing 12 lbs! But our bodies are not calculators or machines and don't always behave the way we expect. Keep following your program religiously and everything will be okay in the end. Good luck!

A few pounds is normal fluctuation. You are going to hit some pauses along the way, which could be anything from hormones or stress making your body temporarily insane to Constipation. Generally the preop diet is about shrinking your liver, not about weight loss -- though weight loss is often a nice side benefit -- so keep in mind that you are doing this for a safe and successful surgery, not trying to hit some arbitrary weight loss goal.

I had a two week pre-op diet. The first week I lost 12 lbs. The second week, I went up a couple pounds in the first few days, despite doing everything correctly and eating the same way I had the first week. By the end of that week I was down 2 lbs from where I started the week, but losing 2 lbs in a week is a big difference from losing 12 lbs! But our bodies are not calculators or machines and don't always behave the way we expect. Keep following your program religiously and everything will be okay in the end. Good luck!

Your response totally is bringing me to tears!! Lol! Ugh! It made so so much sense! You're most certainly right. I kept thinking about the weight loss and NOT about the fact that this is shrinking my liver. I get scared that because I'm gaining, that it's not actually shrinking my liver! I sure hope that's not the case. Mine is two weeks as well & I'm definitely following EVERYTHING to a T! Nothing is out of place. Stress levels have been very low because I've been home for the entirety of it aside from the bit where I exercise or just go for a leisurely walk. I'm just going to focus on the fact that it IS shrinking my liver. Again, just thank you so much!! You've definitely pulled me far far away from the edge.

I am on Day 9 or 10 of my pre-op diet & IM GAINING WEIGHT! Why on this green earth would I be gaining weight?! My Fluid intake is phenomenal, I'm hitting every last calorie and macronutrient goal you can think of, yet, I'm gaining. I'm friggin gaining! I tried implementing exercise, I've tried not exercising and just focusing on the diet. Just why! This is so incredibly discouraging because I'm literally over here STARVING from the lack of calories and gaining, when I can easily eat whatever I want and gain!

I'm following the plan to a T just so I don't have any complications post surgery. But I'm starting to lose hope. I keep telling myself to stay off the scale, but how else will I know what's working?! Just. Someone. Anyone. Please tell me what could possibly be happening or how I can fix this!! I'm trying everything I can to NOT cheat, but things like this is what's pushing me closer to the edge.

*Also, I'm aware of Water retention, etc. But I lost 7 lbs the first week. Now, it's steadily going back up. It started going up by .4, then a pound, now a few pounds. *

Please calm your nerves. Your is adjusting to the new you. Just be patient!

Adjusting is perfectly fine. I understand that. Where I'm irritated is the fact that my body is now gaining. My doctor can easily deny the surgery if I gain weight. So easy. So no, nerves are not going to be calm as this situation can easily cost me an opportunity to help better my health.

Adjusting is perfectly fine. I understand that. Where I'm irritated is the fact that my body is now gaining. My doctor can easily deny the surgery if I gain weight. So easy. So no, nerves are not going to be calm as this situation can easily cost me an opportunity to help better my health.

We don't want you being denied! Have you tried the My Fitness Pal app? It can really help with monitoring your calories & physical activity.

We don't want you being denied! Have you tried the My Fitness Pal app? It can really help with monitoring your calories & physical activity.

Yeah. I'm doing that and the Baritastic app

Wow! That's a scary place. I had a period of being afraid I would be denied. It's heart breaking. Sending positive energy your way. Keep us in the loop.

Sent from cyberdiva's iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wow! That's a scary place. I had a period of being afraid I would be denied. It's heart breaking. Sending positive energy your way. Keep us in the loop.

Sent from cyberdiva's iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you! I most certainly will!

I know that this can all be very scary and unnerving. Try to keep in mind that insurance/doctor approval or denial is not a one time shot. (Not that it's going to be denied) Paperwork can always be resubmitted, God forbid it need to be.

I was basically doing Keto the couple of weeks before surgery. Didn't really loose while getting off sugar; was up a couple of pounds at my 1 weeks pre-op. I was so bloated from the hormone dump...

But my surgery went well and my liver looked amazing! (I know because they showed me pictures.)

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I was basically doing Keto the couple of weeks before surgery. Didn't really loose while getting off sugar; was up a couple of pounds at my 1 weeks pre-op. I was so bloated from the hormone dump...

But my surgery went well and my liver looked amazing! (I know because they showed me pictures.)

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Oh I hope I can get a picture of mine. I vlog and I would love to show everyone interested! Lol!

Follow my

Like my dr told me it's not to loose weight even though you will it's to shrink the liver so that he can lift it up to get to the stomach to perform properly the surgery otherwise if your liver is too large they can close you up and move the dates further out or open you wide open Nd do the surgery which won't be laparoscopic...