Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to decide which surgery to have and I'm not sure what to do. I'm on lots of meds for my seizure so I'm worried about the DS but it has better results. I have never had any surgery either so I'm mostly just scared about waking up !!!!!

Sent from my N9132 using the BariatricPal App

A sleeve might have worked for me... until the hunger started coming back. Then I knew that me being me.. I was going to need a malabsortive element. I hope to have my brain and body retrained before the hunger returns, but just in case... I have that 2nd tool.

11/11/16: HW 380

11/28/16: Duodenal Switch Surgery

11/28/16: SW 374 lbs

12/24/16: CW 342 lbs

Thank you for responding ! The surgery went ok ? My BMI is like a 52 and my starting weight is 365. I want to loose around 200 lbs it all seems so crazy ........

What about rny? Not as drastic as ds but a bit more effective than the sleeve. I weighed 281 at my Rny surgery on 8/8/16 I now weigh 204. That's a 77lb. Loss in less than 5 months. I needed to lose about 140 to 150lbs. I'm half way there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Yes, surgery went fine. I had to come home on oxygen, but we think that was related to an issue I was having before surgery. It resolved itself.

Ultimately, you have to decide how much you can spend, and how your personality is. I didn't get to 380 lbs because I had control over food. I got to 380 lbs because my food had control over me. I don't want to ever go back to that again. 35 years of being overweight, by being controlled by my addiction, I couldn't afford to try the others and see me fail. I had one chance and spent what little 401k I had saved to pay for most of the surgery, the rest was out of pocket.

But ultimately, it was the long term results that made my decision.

Good luck on your research. I did a lot of it! ????

11/11/16: HW 380

11/28/16: Duodenal Switch Surgery

11/28/16: SW 374 lbs

12/24/16: CW 342 lbs

I had the DS even though my BMI was 40 and I had no other issues. Why? Because if I was going to put my body through surgery I only wanted to do it once and it has the best long term results. I am also fortunate enough to live close to one of the best highest rated DS surgeons in the county. I would never have chose the surgery otherwise. The surgeon is so extremely important esp with DS.

DS surgery 12/14/2016

What about rny? Not as drastic as ds but a bit more effective than the sleeve. I weighed 281 at my Rny surgery on 8/8/16 I now weigh 204. That's a 77lb. Loss in less than 5 months. I needed to lose about 140 to 150lbs. I'm half way there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

That's awesome !!!! Great results

I had the DS even though my BMI was 40 and I had no other issues. Why? Because if I was going to put my body through surgery I only wanted to do it once and it has the best long term results. I am also fortunate enough to live close to one of the best highest rated DS surgeons in the county. I would never have chose the surgery otherwise. The surgeon is so extremely important esp with DS.

DS surgery 12/14/2016

Since my bmi is around 50 she said I'm on the edge of her recommending the switch . I have 215 lbs to lose I'm not sure if I can lose that much on the sleeve. I really don't want to go back and have another surgery in a few years.

I had the DS. My starting BMI was 42, and was 40 at surgery date. Everything went fine! I've heard that the rny is a tougher recovery because of all of the food restrictions. It also changes a lot more of your plumbing (they build you a fake stomach). I opted for the DS because I'm so young and the long term success rate is SO MUCH higher than the sleeve.

My surgery went great and they sent me home on my second day. I'm almost three weeks out with no problems. I would strongly suggest having a super deep discussion with your surgeon, and trusting his/her instinct. I went in with the intention of having a sleeve (least "drastic") and ended up having the DS (most "drastic".) My suggestion is definitely the DS over the sleeve, but that's 100% between you and your surgeon.

Lots to think about .I'm not young and my biggest concern is waking up I can handle the recovery and diet no problem. I'm doing this so I can be a healthy person for myself and my 4 kids

The waking up part is something a lot of people worry about. At that point, it's just trusting the doctors to do their job well. While age had a lot to do with my circumstances, I think the long term is relevant for everyone. I did it for my future kids, and for myself as well. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for yourself and your family. You'll be in my thoughts!

Your surgeon should have anesthesiologists that they work with regularly. I actually got to speak with mine before surgery, made sure they were in-network for my insurance and get an idea of who is holding my life in their hands. I would honestly recommend deciding which surgery is best for YOU by researching it yourself. Not the one whatever surgeon you are talking to wants to do. Some surgeons will promote one over the other simply because it is easier for them or what they prefer to do.

Pick the surgery then shop the best surgeon and team to perform it.

DS surgery 12/14/2016