Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post opp/ extreme hunger

I am 4 days post opp, surgery date 12/15/16, im 90% back to normal, i.e doing everything except driving, i dont plan on doing that for another week or so, i have also learned what size sipt to take and have developed a method of patting my chest, (similar to patting a babys back during feeding) when i feel pain w/ my liquids ; However, im extremely hungry & my cravings are through the roof, to the point that its making me argumentative with my loved ones! Im trying hard to stick with the liquid diet because my dr. Is in Tijuana Mexico & my life & success depends on lettin my body heal and follow the week by week meal plan! Im getting depressed, wondering why im reading post that the sleeve "supposedly " remove the part of the stomache that causes hunger.... but i feel like im dying im just going into day 5 & i have all the broths popcicle & Protein Shakes & Water & juice, books to read, work to catch up on aroun the house, but all i see on tv is food commercials i never noticed before, on top of it all , the 8 lbs i lost on the pre opp diet was regained @ the hospital w/ 2 days of IV fluids & natural water retention from trauma of surgery, i know im rambling now, i just needed to vent.... im just wondering y all the successfull sleevers dont report the good bad and ugly, i never thought it was like this, i thought it was a quick fix for a few thousands... bye guys & i love each & every one of you- GN This is my pic 23 hrs post opp

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Gucci

Surgery is never a quick fix. I haven't had mine yet, but I am going into it knowing it by no means is quick, magic pill, cure all. It's a tool. A tool to aid you. Water retention is not actual weight gain. I learned from my classes that the only cure for Water retention is by drinking enough water. Your body holds on to it when it isn't getting enough.

I honestly would seek out a support group at nearby university hospital that does bariatric surgery. I'd also find a therapist asap for emotional support and to address the psychological reason for your weight. Your cravings sound psychological to me.

I already go to support group, and have my own therapist who by chance had weight loss surgery and failed several years ago. The realities are 95% of all people that lose significant weight loss go on to regain if they do not stick with the program. Any attempt at weight loss especially surgery will be the most difficult journey of your life. To become a butterfly the caterpillar had to transform itself.

Hang in there. Stick to the diet, drink water, get your Protein like you have been. Most hunger is actually thirst so always keep that in mind.

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

If I recall correctly, I felt "hungry" too for a few days after surgery. I think it was just my stomach starting to heal. I am generally not bothered by hunger now and can easily forget to eat a meal here and there.

I'm having hunger too (4 days post op) and I started to think "everyone said they didn't want to look at food after surgery. What is wrong with me!" I think our body's take a long time to tell our minds what is going on. My hunger is for things that I know if I started eating I would throw up. I drink 4 ozs of a Protein drink and I'm full. It's just that head hunger and that takes time to adjust. Try to remember this.

Hi I'm having the same problem. I had surgery a week ago. But i have been finding it hard not to eat the things I love. So i have been eating. Not a good idea by no means b uh the i just can't help it. I'm actually scared that I have messed something up.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Hi I'm having the same problem. I had surgery a week ago. But i have been finding it hard not to eat the things I love. So i have been eating. Not a good idea by no means b uh the i just can't help it. I'm actually scared that I have messed something up.

I feel the same way I had my surgery 12/17 and I'm so hungry I cheated for the holidays I hope I haven't messed things up but I'm sick of Protein , broth and Soup

I was soooo hungry for the months after surgery, I didn't think they had done the surgery until cleared for solid food and felt the restriction. For me, it was "head hunger"....my brain wanted the stress relief from the act of eating. The head hunger lasted almost 12 months and then was just gone. It seems that the wiring in my brain took that long to give up. As soon as you are able....start walking. Not only does it help heal your body, it will relieve some of the mental game. Your body and your mind at at war. You will win, but there is a bit of discomfort to be endured along the way. Hang in there!

Hang in there. A lot of that is mental. You have to overcome the urge to eat, esp knowing you can stretch your stomach out even this soon after surgery. When you get to the soft foods stage, it'll be a lot harder to get things down. Most of the issue is thinking, wait... I haven't eaten. But when you look at food as a necessity & not a want, it helps.

I was sleeved 11/18 & down 43lbs. It's definitely been a journey, but find stuff that is semi satisfying.

By the way, I went overboard on buying stuff throughout my eating phases. I bought products from Bariatric Choice, to include Protein rich chicken Noodle Soup (post surgery approved), Cappuccino drink mix & protein Water enhancers. All products are 15grams of protein or more & decently flavored. Let me know on here if you're interested in trying these products before buying them yourselves through Bariatric Choice. I have protein water & Ensure, all of which I'm willing to sell for the per unit cost plus shipping. This is an inexpensive way to try these products before buying them in bulk the way I did. (I can post pics if any of you would like them.)

I feel the same way I had my surgery 12/17 and I'm so hungry I cheated for the holidays I hope I haven't messed things up but I'm sick of Protein , broth and soup
I hope you haven't "messed" up the process. I was sleeved 11/18 and I couldn't cheat if I tried, as I got so terribly sick.

Hang in there... 6 weeks may feel like an eternity when you're going through it, but think about the long term progress & your overall goal. Hopefully you didn't take your body through this evasive surgery just to mess it up because you fell victim to your cravings.

By the way, I went overboard on buying stuff throughout my eating phases. I bought products from Bariatric Choice, to include Protein rich chicken Noodle Soup (post surgery approved), Cappuccino drink mix & protein Water enhancers. All products are 15grams of protein or more & decently flavored. Let me know on here if you're interested in trying these products before buying them yourselves through Bariatric Choice. I have protein Water & Ensure, all of which I'm willing to sell for the per unit cost plus shipping. This is an inexpensive way to try these products before buying them in bulk the way I did. (I can post pics if any of you would like them.)

Unfortunately, it sounds like you haven't taken care of your mental & emotional connection to food. If you had surgery last week, there's no way you should be on anything more than smoothies. Trust the process & get back on track while you can. You can end up doing more harm than good & trust me, that'll prove to be very bad.

Call your surgeon's office & talk to them about your cravings. See if there is a Support Group to help with your relationship with food.

They say 1 in 4 people fail after this surgery & I'd hate for you to be that 1. You can do this.

Original weight 291. Sleeved 11/18. Current weight 248. Goal 175. Hang in there.

There is no way any of you are actually "hungry" the desire you have to eat is an emotional one and one of the reasons we ended up over weight in the first place. Your stomach is incapable of sending hunger signals at this point, which is why you should be drinking using a schedule. Think of yourself like a baby. In the first few weeks they will drink up they spit up if you let them. Eventually their stomachs and brains connect and they are able to cry when hungry and stop when full. We aren't there yet at 1,2, 3 weeks out.

This battle is more mental than physical at this stage. Don't let your food addiction win