Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A bit of a shock and a hard lesson

I am finally getting back into my shop and doing some heavier work now that my weight lifting restrictions are safely behind me. I work on our property in an old garage converted to a shop. The shop is only about 130' from the house, but once I get up there and get going, I tend to lose track of time. In the old days, I would work until I was so hungry I couldn't stand it, and then come down to the house and eat an enormous meal. That's one of the reasons I'm here today, I suspect.

Today, I discovered all old habits die hard. I've been real good about keeping on a tight schedule for eating. When I go to the shop, I always take a Protein Bar with me, and of course, the fridge is stocked with plenty of Water. Today proved to be my undoing though.

Just as I described, I went off to the shop, Protein Bar in hand (actually, it was in my shirt pocket). I was busily working on Mrs LittleBill's drawers (for the kitchen!). I came across a technical issue I wanted to check, so back down to the house I lumbered (do you see what I did there?). For some reason unbeknownst to me, I removed my protein bar from my pocket and laid it on my desk in my office. As I think back upon it, I am pretty sure I intended to eat it, but looking at the clock, it was not time. So I forgot about it.

With one problem solved, and another in the offing, but unnoticed, I headed back to the shop armed with the knowledge I needed to continue my drawer construction. One thing led to another to another to another. I had just one more task to finish, and I could take a break. Meanwhile, I was ignoring the increasingly frantic pleas from my tiny stomach to PUT SOMETHING IN HERE!!!!

My old habits had the bit in their teeth, and they ran with it. By the time I realized what I had done to myself, I was so hungry I was ready to eat my left arm. I had also gotten very irritable, and edgy. In all seriousness, it really did shock me. I was not prepared for the physiological reaction to not eating on time.

I will be stocking the shop with an ample supply of Protein Bars for future use. Chewing my arm off is not an option. And while wood might have Fiber, it sure doesn't have much protein.

Edited by LittleBill

It only took me one time of getting myself into a position of not eating for a long while before I decided to keep a Protein Bar in my purse at all times. Planning ahead has become so important with the sleeve. Not hard to do, just a new habit to develop.

Friends don't let friends work hangry!

No, seriously, there is a land beyond "hangry" and I've only been there a few times but I get so listless I can barely function. It happens around hour six without food. Not pretty. I always try to have a supply of Protein bars or Jerky stashed in my house, purse, glove compartment or work desk drawer. For everyone else's safety.

HW 290+/SW 261/GW 160/CW 159

@@KristenVSG2014 Haha, I remember telling my kids one time when they were being particularly intractable and I was trying to eat, "Don't get between me and my food!"

They teased me for years about that one.

I know that frantic feeling well. I now have an emergency food kit, small can of tuna and packets of Mayonnaise, pepper, hot sauce and a baby spoon in my purse.

@"LittleBill" what is your Protein bar of choice?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

There are a bunch of Quest bars I really like. The top of my list is occupied by their Mixed berry Bliss. Close on the heels of that is a new one, Apple Pie. They also have a couple of really good chocolate ones. The double chocolate chunk should satisfy anyone's craving, and Mrs LittleBill really likes the Mint Chocolate Chip. They have a huge assortment of others as well.

Double post deleted. This forum is slower than molasses. Wait! Molasses is bad for us! It's slower than... than... me running uphill!

Edited by LittleBill

Please don't chew your arm off unless you happen to be caught in a trap. :)

Please don't chew your arm off unless you happen to be caught in a trap. :)

I'd only chew a little bit. I wouldn't want to be disarmed. :P

@@LipstickLady I took up leather working as a hobby recently. I'm going to have to make a holster for my Quest bar so I don't forget it again. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit it on my belt. My belt is getting shorter and there's a bunch of stuff on it already. :D