Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering a sleeve in Tijuana.

I have been researching sleeve procedures and have decided to do it. I work in surgery and I am familiar with the surgery itself. My insurance will not cover bariatric procedures. Any advise on Mexico? Any Dr. Recommendations, things or hospitals I should avoid?

Sent from my Z963VL using the BariatricPal App

Copied from another website in that it keeps disappearing from here. My coordinator was Shelly @ 5414502285.

I've had problems for years that have caused me weight gain. Those problems are related to an overproduction of a hormone in my stomach that causes hunger. I have considered weight loss surgery in the past disregarded it after complications when my mom had weight loss surgery in 2001. She died in early 2002. She died of lung cancer that would have been present when they did her weight loss surgery but it was never caught.

My weight has fluctuated a bit over the years with the highest weight that I have had of 333 pounds right around the time that my mom died to as low as 267 pounds just before my son was born in 2009. Various stresses in life have caused these fluctuations and I've never been able to truly get down to a normal weight. A few years ago I gained 30 pounds just by quitting drinking diet dr. Pepper. It turns out that I was allergic to the sweetener used in it. I was having multiple medical issues and almost all of it went away when I quit drinking diet dr. Pepper. Then due to my metabolism slowing down from the lack of caffeine my weight started to increase. In eight weeks from the time that I quit I gained those 30 pounds and I haven't been able to lose them since. I have been through all kinds of different diets throughout the years. The one that worked the best for me was the Atkins diet.

Two years ago my doctor mentioned to me that I would be an excellent candidate for weight loss surgery. Through doing a bit of research we found that an ulcer caused my hormone imbalance in my stomach that we were unaware of. That hormone was 8 to 10 times higher then and somebody in my otherwise same shape. Half an hour after I would eat my levels would be 26 to 28 times higher.

I spoke with my insurance company and they do not cover weight loss surgeries. I considered my options and decided to stay as a fat man for a while. My job requires that I have a commercial driver's license and I had heard rumor that the Department of Transportation was planning on changing the requirements for the medical card that if you have a BMI of 35 or higher they would require you to prove that you do not have sleep apnea. I do not have sleep apnea, it can be picked up on an overnight oximetry. I have used an oximeter many times but that is not considered proof.

The combination of the Department of Transportation regulations changing and knowing that I physically had a problem with me made me decide to do weight loss surgery. Fortunately my boss, a respiratory therapist, had weight loss surgery last year in Tijuana Mexico. From talking with her I found out that two of her family members both members of the medical professions also went to the same doctor in Mexico as well as her dad and a friend of theirs. I met with all five of these people and came to the conclusion that I was extremely comfortable with the surgeon. He has an amazing track record. He has performed over 3,500 surgeries with never so much as a single infection. The three people that I know in the medical field all said that this is the cleanest facility they have ever been to period.

The decision was made and I was comfortable after doing some research on my own. What I was unaware of is that part of this Medical Group also does stem cell therapy, immunotherapy ,cancer therapy, and they are also able to completely stabilize most medical issues.

My wife and I were so impressed with everything that they did for us and everything that we saw. We were treated like family not like patients or a family member of a patient. They have the ability to cure, not treat, but CURE my wife's lupus. We plan to do whatever it takes to return there next year for her. Very impressed.

I am also a member of a bariatric website. What I'm posting below I have posted on that website. Hopefully this will open some people's eyes to the quality of Medical Care and the possibilities that are out there. I will say though make sure you do your research! There are many bad companies down there as well. Please don't hesitate to check out somebody through the Mexico board of Medicine.

So yesterday was my day to get the sleeve. I'm down here in Tijuana Mexico with doctor Mauricio gutierez at Trinity Medical. I got down here on Sunday and they treated my wife two tacos for lunch and lobster for dinner at local restaurants. They also took us sightseeing. One of the restaurants was absolutely gorgeous out on the coast. Everybody that we've met here has been beyond anything I've ever received in the states. I have to admit that shortly after the sleeve I was in quite a bit of pain but I'm over that now. Most everything is just a little discomfort. In about 10 hours I get to have my compression socks off anb the IV removed. Part of their follow-up care while I'm here is to take us shopping. While doing so they will have a member of the staff pounding on my back to help with releasing the gas. I couldn't have been treated better.

Little bit of strangeness last night. I rolled on my left side and I felt what can only be described as a fart inside the tissue of my back. It scared the heck out of me. I immediately rolled back on my back and let out a rather large burp. I did find that rolling from one side to my back and then over to the other side and back to my back got a lot of the gas out. Kind of interesting.

They are taking my sweetie for an hour of massage this afternoon. We're getting treated nicer than we've ever been.

One thing that I'm quite happy about is that everything went good during my pre op so they didn't need to put in a drain. From what I've heard that is the worst part of this. They estimate that my liver shrunk 40-50% and I didn't have bleeding. Whew!

Everything is going well. I'm definitely weak and tired. I slept 18 of the last 24 hours. I overdid it yesterday by trying stairs and I paid for it. We will be back home tonight around 8pm. All that is left is x-rays and a leak test in the morning and I'm good to go.

This morning I got to see the flip side of things. I mentioned xrays and a leak test. We did that in a different hospital. I saw 4 other people who looked like death warmed over. They were struggling bad. We overheard that one of the girls had a leak and it will obviously have to be repaired. Scary stuff! My xrays and test were great. I'm in the San Diego airport suckling on Vitamin Water and looking forward to being home.

Ahhh the joys of home! Home that place where my devoted chocolate lab (chocolate moose) was so excited that she started jumping the moment that she saw me. I just barely kept her off my chest. It is also where our neurotic, psychotic love ball of a cat launched onto me in the middle of the night. Ouch! Needless to say he got thrown out of the bedroom with the door closed behind him! He has been a purrrrrfect angel this morning because he knows that he screwed up.

I started the liquid diet on 8/19/16. My surgery was 8/29/16. I have copies of all of the blood tests, the EKG, the X-rays and everything that was in their chart notes. So far I have lost 25 pounds and 10.5 inches total. I've already dropped a notch in my belt.

I used alighterme...not sure if they're still around but the treatment and hospital stay was hands down better than what I've gotten here in America. I think ppl just make it sound scary but my procedure was a great experience. My dr was Dr Alexander. Best thing I ever did for myself

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I used ALM...not sure if they're still around but the treatment and hospital stay was hands down better than what I've gotten here in America. I think ppl just make it sound scary but my procedure was a great experience. My dr was Dr Alexander. Best thing I ever did for myself

ALM?? Is that an abbreviation for a Hospital?

I used ALM...not sure if they're still around but the treatment and hospital stay was hands down better than what I've gotten here in America. I think ppl just make it sound scary but my procedure was a great experience. My dr was Dr Alexander. Best thing I ever did for myself

A lighter me.... Got it.

I had my surgery at Tijuana bariatrics, Dr Garcia. The medical staff, hospital and hotel were great. Very clean and someone was always there to help. Good luck on your new path in life.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for sharing! I would like surgery next month. How long does it take to get a surgery date?

It literally took me a week and a half. I was back and forth with my insurance company for three months. During that time I researched "A Lighter Me," the Doctors, the Hospital and cost. Straight after my insurance company rejected me, even though they approved the lap band, I made the call to ALM and they made the arrangements. I was not playing bc I knew I had a week of vacation coming up and wanted it to get done during that time.

ALM.... Got it.

Mine is scheduled with them in Jan

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I had surgery with A Lighter Me "ALM" in July. Dr Ortiz was my surgeon. It was the best decision of my life and one of the best experiences of my life. I've also had 3 other friends go through ALM with amazing results. Definitely look into it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by cajrich85