Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Surgery 10/24/2016

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself...I am Liz, 32 years old, I live in Santa Monica, Ca. I have a 12 year old daughter & a nine year old son. I had my surgery just five days ago. I have a lot of abdominal pain and I think the majority of it is coming from the carbon dioxide that was injected into my abdomen. Other than that I have been able to take multiple sips of Water at a time, as well as finish two Protein shakes during the day. I bought the Carmel shakes (the ones they gave to me at the hospital) called Opti Source which are really good. I also have vanilla from Premier Protein, chocolate & strawberry from GNC, & one from costco which is Organic and Plant Based called Orgain. I was a little worried because when I do sip, I am able to take a few sips and not feel so full...has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Congratulations! And yes, I experienced it. How much you can have will change many times over the next year. There will be some things (once you start on food) that will make you full quickly and other things that won't. You are fine! best of luck

Okay good because I was starting to think that maybe something wasn't right ...Thank you!

My RNY feels very different from my sleeve. The sleeve was very restrictive, which is good, but it felt much more uncomfortable. I have good restriction with my pouch also, but it doesn't feel uncomfortable. I just feel satisfied--not stretched or stuffed. I am so glad to be rid of the reflux!

I had the sleeve two years ago and felt the same way....I could barely take two sips without feeling completely full....after converting the sleeve to bypass I feel I can sip much more and I don't get that full feeling....so that made me wonder if something was wrong or what not...but I guess that's okay ?

I hope it's okay...I am only 2 days post-op, so I guess time will tell if it is going to work for me as far as the weight loss goes. I had only had my sleeve for five months and hadn't lost a good amount of weight yet. Hope I can get about 55 more pounds off.

Yeah when I had the sleeve I only lost about 60lbs ....I'm hoping this surgery with help me out . It is suppose to be thee most successful when it comes to weight loss. Congrats on your surgery. Are you home yet ?

You had the sleeve and then the bypass? Did you have to start over with the liquid diet? I am 12 days post-op bypass and having a hard time mentally with it. I can't imaging doing it again. Kudos to you.

Yes I had the sleeve over two years ago and then converted the sleeve to the bypass. Post op six days now. Yes I had to do the two week diet prior to surgery. The first week consisted of a Protein shake for Breakfast and lunch, and for dinner, 1/4" chicken, Turkey or fish with veggies. Second week was all liquids, including Water, homemade broths, Protein shakes & tea. Tomorrow will be two weeks that I have been on liquids and it is very hard. I am so tired of Protein Shakes so I've literally been drinking more of the broths and teas over the shakes. I've been able to do about 1-2 shakes a day. I feel satisfied without restriction when sipping. I can finish one cup of tea or broth without any discomfort. I've finally lost the six pounds that I gained during the surgery from the carbon dioxide and all of the fluids from the IV. I have one more week to go on liquids and then I can have my first egg. Either poached, scrambled or egg whites. I can also have lowfat geek yogurt and cottage cheese during week 3. I can't wait for that. We are almost right around the same dates for our surgery . I'm happy for you! Keep in touch.

@@lectrashep I never thought I would do anything that hard again, but I had such extreme reflux. I couldn't get it scheduled fast enough. Yes, I had to start over, starting with the two week pre-op liquid diet, and now I am working on the three week post-op liquids. I was so sore this time, and I didn't really know how bad it was going to be compared to the sleeve. It was definitely harder. And the bloating...ugh, I look pregnant. I just need to be sure I get enough liquids and I am sure everything will go down. Hang in there! I know it's hard, but it is worth it!

I agree!! It is soooo much more intense "pain-wise" than the sleeve. I feel pregnant too! Lol my goodness it feels good to have others who have gone through this too and experiencing the same symptoms as I. I hope and pray for a speedy recovery for us all. Sorry in advance too if I answered a question that wasn't for me lol I'm not too savvy on this app just yet.

I had my RNY the same day as you did. I had no problem getting fluids and shakes down. I started on food yesterday and it's totally different. One scrambled egg must have really filled my pouch, I was so uncomfortable for a few hours. I'll be eating less and more slowly at my next meal!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@Lynn614 Wow congrats! And kudos to same day ???? ....I had my egg and ate very slowly, and all was good....this morning I was rushing and halfway through felt very full and little pain and a lot of discomfort . Won't be doing that again. Still getting Water and Protein shakes good without much restriction.

@@Sherri I don't feel really any tightness there, but a little pain rather & it's also still very bruised. I still have stomach pain but it has lessened so much. Each day I get better. My incisions are almost completely healed. I am down 14lbs.