Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexican Surgeons

I've had serioulsy bad experiences with my Mexican surgeon. But he is only ONE doctor among many, and only a small percentage of his patients have complaints that I know of (he's done 1500 surgeries and I know of 7 complaints.) Maybe my experience sucked, but Inamed stands behind my doctor 100%, which is why I am considering giving my original surgeon a second chance. I'm not speaking in his defense, and I don't forgive his lack of aftercare, but for anyone new that's considering Mexico, there are Mexian doctors that get raving reviews. Even with the hell I've been through with my band, I'd let him put another band in me this minute! The risks are worth every tear, every anxiety attack, every nervous breakdown. I've lost almost 70 pounds since May. I tried getting the band in the United States, but it cost over $25,000.00, and insurance wouldn't pay, and I only qualified for an $8,000.00 loan. That $8,000 and my band saved my life. I was in therapy last year discussing suicide. My therapist asked me what was holding me back, and I told her "my animals are my babies, and they would die of broken hearts if Mommy never came home again." I had fantasies of bringing all my fur babies into the garage with me, connecting a hose from my exhaust pipe into my car window, and letting the engine run till we all died peacefully in my truck. I even stood in the garage to visualize the procedure. Now I'm sitting here with tears welled up because I'm so happy today. I take pictures with genuine smiles (go see my Christmas pictures thread, and THAT smiling face has a Migraine and is STILL smiling.) My port problems have never been life-threatening. So for anyone thinking that surgery in Mexico is a risk, well wake up and smell the anesthesia cause you can get botched up just as bad in the United States as anywhere else on the planet. Sure, it's scary going to Mexico even just to shop for the day, let alone having surgery there! But I put my life in the hands of a Mexican band surgeon because I didn't have anything left to lose since I was planning on ending my life anyway. Instead, Dr. Lopez saved my life. Even if he burned my file the second I left his office, the fact remains that Dr. Juan Lopez Corvala in Tijuana, Mexico, saved my life. If you can get a band in the United States, then you are one lucky person, but if you are desperate for life and can only afford Mexico, then THANK GOD FOR MEXICO.

AMEN LISA!!

I too had surgery in Mexico by a very experienced band Doctor Dr. Ariel Ortiz who also cam highly reccomended by Inamed and I DO NOT regret my decision one single bit, and would do it over again in a hearbeat..8 months 72 lbs later Iam very very happy with my choice of going to Mexico & My aftercare is fantastic !!

There are several experienced Dr's in Mexico

I also was banded in Mexico. For some reason this didn't make me nervous in the slightest. I was banded by Dr. Rumbaut in July. A day or two after my appointment was set, he called me personally. I was completely shocked. That probably helped with any nervousness I might have had about going down there. I've also been to Mexico dozens of times, so I don't really have any reservations about it in general.

My band is the longest 'diet' I've succeeded at. I can't remember the last time I lost 30+ lbs. And to know I'm going to KEEP IT OFF is really amazing. I go to Dr. Kuri simply because he's closer, and he also is a really great, caring surgeon.

Again, THANK GOD FOR MEXICO!!

Amen to this thread. The only caveats I'd issue to anyone considering surgery in Mexico are:

1. Line up your aftercare before you get banded. Lots of US band surgeons won't care for other US doctors' patients, much less those of us who crossed the border. If you're thinking Mexico, check old posts on this board for aftercare options. Inamed has lists of doctors sorted by state, but you'll have to call each one in your area to see if they'll take you as only a follow-up patient. Your surgeon may have suggestions, too; that's how I found my fill doctor, who was one of Rumbaut's proctored students.

2. If you don't speak Spanish, consider travelling with someone who does. Most of the doctors and their office staff that I've read of here seem to speak English (Rumbaut's fluent), but the hospital nurses responsible for your basic care do not.

¡Buena suerte a todos!

I too had a great experience. As I sit here in my size 16 pants I realize how much a difference it made in my life. My 22-24's are long since given away and I owe it all to the caring Dr. Rodriguez I found in Monterray. This is the same Dr. who took my mom to lunch while I was recovering and paid her way to Mx. The same Dr who just called to check in on me, just because. He answers his phone ...oh and called mmy husband back in california when I came out of surgery. HMMM how many American Drs do the same. I have had slower progress probably because I have to stay in contact by phone and email... however my insurance wanted me to have a bi-pass and wait another year (which I am sure would have killed my knees) I feel blessed...BTW I do need a fill anyone have info for Dr. Kuri I would appriciate it. Thanks!

I was also banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico, and I cannot praise them high enough. All the nurses but one spoke English, and I LOVE Dr. Martinez and his aftercare at their clinic. I'm grateful for them, and would do it again in a heartbeat. I know I'm just starting this journey, but I'm glad I'm taking it!

I was a bit nervous about this lapband forum as some people don't believe in going to Mexico. My sister was banded by Dr. Ortiz early last summer and I'm on my way next week to get mine! My sister has nothing but praise for Dr. Ortiz, Dr. Martinez and the whole team there. My insurance will not pay for any kind of WLS, but I can get financing enough to go to Mexico. I am so excited to begin my new life.

Infaith, besides checking the "Doctors and Hospitals" forum, you might want to take a look at the "Mexico misconceptions" thread: http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3111 Also, a lot of us have written about our medical experiences with various Mexican docs; check out the old posts.

There's as much variation between the standards of care and bedside manner of Mexican doctors as between their US counterparts. If you're going the Mexican route, make sure you pick a doctor that suits you. Good luck!

Thanks Zoe!

I have looked at several forums and done a lot of research, plus going by my sister's(who knows me very well) great experience with Dr. Ortiz. She is going with me so I feel real confident about the experience.

Take care all and have a wonderful holiday. I know what I will be having for Christmas

dinner...big decision on what flavor Jello to have for dessert!!

(sorry about the 2 messages...newbie here didn't know how long the quick reply could be!)

Darcey, I know a lot of people on this board have great respect and admiration for Dr. Ortiz. How great that your sister can go with you! Try mixing cubes of lime and cherry Jello if you wanna get festive. Desperate times call for desperate measures! Good luck on the 21st -- I'm sure everything will go well.

I will add that my experience with Dr Kuri is equally as impressive and I would highly recommend him to anyone considering surgery and cannot afford it locally.

I do, however, recommend surgery there with the strict recommendation that the patient have a plan for post op care and band maintenance lined up if they are unable to return to Mexico.

With 2+ years banded, I have yet to have a band emergency of any kind where I felt I really needed my doctor in town or close enough by.I know a gal who was banded after I was who was willing to pay $30K out of pocket to go to a surgeon nearby just for the security of knowing he was close..I thought that was a waste of an additional $20K given the cost of going to Mexico, but that is what made her feel safe.

I am also in Northern california so though it is still a hassle from here..at least I am not back east and needing to quickly get to the border. A 10 hr car ride or cheap, fast flight down to SD is doable if I need to do it. This is the main reason that I did not go with my first choice, Dr Rumbaut was because he is just too far and too costly to return to if needed.

I have seen many bandsters just consider the cost of the surgery and think they are done, but you really have to consider the cost of aftercare in the equation: money loss from unpaid leave from work, airfare, car, gas, hotel, radiology, etc. I have gone back to TJ for fills with Kuri for 6 fills in 2 years and I have probably spent about $1,000 total in costs for those fills..probably less since we always drove and had a free place to stay en route in Los Angeles..but it is all part of the cost. My backup fill doctor I just started to use, charges $300 for a non-flouro fill and allows a 2nd "free" tweak if needed. It is more than what I would pay for one trip to Mexico..either driving or flying..but the time and hassle factor is worth paying more. And who wouldn't love a weekend in Tahoe once ina while. Another free place to stay there as well so it makes the trip less costly if we decide to stay in the area.

So..if you are researching Mexico..I only advise is to consider aftercare cost and hassle as part of the equation when choosing a doctor and location.

Patty

8/13/02

Dr Kuri

Dr Helmuth Billy-back up fill doctor

Thank you Patty!

Actually my sister has names and numbers of backups for fills without fluro and for emergencies. I am going to contact them too.

I love the input I get from this website. You guys are awesome!

Patty gives some excellent advise. The long-term aftercare is vital to making your band work. That expense and time must be figured into the equation.

Darcey, please contact any fill drs. direct before you are banded. Unfortunately, a lot of bandsters are finding out that the fill drs. names they are being given are invalid.

Hi Darcey,

Congratulations on your approaching band date!!! I am glad you found this website. We will become invaluable to you and you will make life-long friends here. Like Lisa, I had my surgery in Mexico by Dr. Lopez. I don't have a regret in the world and haven't had any complications of any kind. I think you'll be happy with your choice as well. Definitely have the fill doctor arranged ahead of time though. That cannot be emphasized enough. Otherwise take slippers and a magazine with you, have all your liquids purchased before you leave and we all send you our best wishes, Teresa