Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

drinking protein shakes after surgery..?

Hi,

I was just wondering, but 2-3 days after the surgery how much Fluid can you usually drink?

about How much of a Protein Shake can you drink when you are allowed to drink it?

I am just scared that I will become nutrient deficient after the surgery (because I don't wanna lose any of my hair!!)

So I wanna make sure that I am able to drink at least an ample amount of Protein shake after the surgery

Please let me know how many cups of liquid/protein drinks you were able to drink following your surgery!!

thanks for all the replies in advance!

Before surgery 8 oz serving. After 2-4 oz. now 2 1/2 weeks out I'm at about 6 oz. Getting in that Protein has been tough with puréed food. So the shakes are still my best bet to hit over 50 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Before surgery 8 oz serving. After 2-4 oz. now 2 1/2 weeks out I'm at about 6 oz. Getting in that Protein has been tough with puréed food. So the shakes are still my best bet to hit over 50 grams.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

do you drink constantly throughout the day like as on a mission to get 50 grams in? @ragdollarchild

or are you purposely trying to drink as little as possible? I'm just scared about hair loss so i wanna get in enough Protein asap after the surgery. thanks!

I did 2 Premier shakes a day in the first month post op. I could only drink a little bit at a time, so an 11 oz shake took about 1.5 hours to get down.

I highly recommend you take a Biotin supplement if hair loss is a concern. costco sells a Gummy version (pink container called hair, skin and nails). I chew 2 a day and have since the very beginning. I am 10 months post op. I had a little fall out at 5 months, but not too bad. (And I have had bad Hair loss in the past, so I know how awful it can be!) Biotin gummies are the best defense in addition to Protein.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

If you don't want to lose hair then don't have an unnecessary surgery.

@@Dairymary, I don't think it's right for you to be on a support site telling someone that what they are preparing to do is unnecessary. I personally do not want to lose my hair either. However, I do want to be healthy. For me, surgery was necessary, I couldn't do it on my own.

@@iloveorganicmilk1, I would definitely invest in Biotin supplements. I am 3 weeks post RNY. I have not started taking mine yet, but plan to as soon as my dr clears me to swallow gel caps again. I was losing my hair at a higher rate before surgery, so without the Biotin I will probably lose more soon. I do make sure to hit my Protein goals daily as well. I drink 3 8 oz shakes a day. Sometimes I even eat cottage cheese which provides a good amount of Protein as well. It takes about 2 hours for me to drink an 8 oz shake at this point, but I use Body Fortress shakes 30 g protein per 8 oz shake. So 2 of those and a pureed snack usually do the job. Good Luck. I hope this helps.

HW: 267

SW: 260

CW: 247

GW: 130

RNY: 9/26/16

Sent from my LGMS428 using the BariatricPal App

@@Dairymary, I don't think it's right for you to be on a support site telling someone that what they are preparing to do is unnecessary. I personally do not want to lose my hair either. However, I do want to be healthy. For me, surgery was necessary, I couldn't do it on my own.

Like you, I had surgery to become healthier. Like you, it was necessary for me to be able to lose my excess weight and keep it off. But this poster has described herself as having a binge eating disorder which she is not addressing with a psychiatrist. She has a BMI of 21 and does not need to lose weight. So yes, what she is preparing to do IS unnecessary.

Edited by Dairymary

Hi,

I was just wondering, but 2-3 days after the surgery how much Fluid can you usually drink?

about How much of a Protein shake can you drink when you are allowed to drink it?

I am just scared that I will become nutrient deficient after the surgery (because I don't wanna lose any of my hair!!)

So I wanna make sure that I am able to drink at least an ample amount of Protein Shake after the surgery

Please let me know how many cups of liquid/protein drinks you were able to drink following your surgery!!

thanks for all the replies in advance!

Just be cautious and follow your doctor's orders don't push it getting down more than you should you CAN stretch your stomach back out if you don't be careful... You're going to have some hair loss but from everything I've read on it it's temporary and your hair will be fine.. Make sure you got your chewable Vitamins and take them to make sure you're getting your nutrients.. G'luck with everything

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

@@Dairymary, I apologize then. I don't see that in her post or profile, but that could be because I am on the app which shows less than the full site on the computer. I don't understand why any surgeon would agree to do surgery for someone with that low of a BMI. I am still fairly new to everything so I still have much to learn. No hard feelings.

Gordita81 im on the app also and i didnt see any of that. But regardless nobody still shouldnt be telling someone what they shouldnt be doing. Maybe she has other health issues. Im sure that a bariatric surgeon wouldnt just be handing out Weight-Loss surgeries. And plus she has to see mental health so maybe she wont even get past that if she just binge eating. Anyways, good luck with everything.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

@@Dairymary you are not saying these things because you are sincerely concerned about my health at all. you just say those things because you are a bitter person who enjoys minding other ppl's businesses. I don't need any of your comments so do not reply on any of my posts. so much negative energy from you all the time lol

I don't need or want ANY of your thoughts @@Dairymary so just go and mind your OWN business! THANKS :)

I drank 2 Protein shakes right after surgery and just sipped liquids all day long(creamed Soups, shakes, Water or sugar free pops and jello) I don't know how much I was taken in, I just drank what I tolerated. I had hair loss to begin with because I had radiation for thyroid cancer and it seemed to be an issue with my hair. I have not noticed and significant Hair loss post op. I am nearly 8 weeks out now and drink one shake a day.

Gordita81 im on the app also and i didnt see any of that. But regardless nobody still shouldnt be telling someone what they shouldnt be doing. Maybe she has other health issues. Im sure that a bariatric surgeon wouldnt just be handing out Weight-Loss surgeries. And plus she has to see mental health so maybe she wont even get past that if she just binge eating. Anyways, good luck with everything.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

You're right. No ethical surgeon would touch her and she certainly would not qualify for surgery in the US. No mental health professional would OK her for surgery. So she is flying to South Korea, where they have no psych requirements and they DO just hand out weight loss surgeries. All you need is a plane ticket and plenty of cash. She's already had a Lapband, stretched out her pouch from overeating and ended up in the ER with a slipped band after going out to a bar drinking with her friends. Do any of you really think VSG is the best answer?

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/379038-bmi-of-21-getting-gastric-sleeve-thoughts/

And yes, organic milk, I do care about the fact that you are taking a path that will cause permanent damage and likely result in serious illness or death. Its very frustrating to watch because you have no intention of taking any real, constructive advice. But I can get the word out to others so maybe one of them will be able to say something that will click with you. You need help, not more enablers. You have a serious mental disorder and are refusing to seek the proper treatment. PLEASE reconsider your decision to have surgery.

@@Dairymary oh wow. You have already become an expert in my life biography. Seems like you know me better than how I know me. Its just kinda ironic that you have never even met me or even seen my face lol

and btw, if you were truly concerned about my health, there was no need to talk in that nasty tone that you wrote your posts in in my last thread. I had read plenty of caring and sincere advice from people who were actually NICE!

If you even wanted something to perhaps "click" with me, why don't you first try by being NICE?

If you aren't gunna be NICE then GO AWAY. Life is already full of problems as it is in an imperfect world. Don't need another internet troll just blasting their own negativities at an innocent poster.

I don't like you. I don't like how mean and nasty you are when you post on my threads. so GO AWAY. if you truly are concerned? LEAVE and hope that a nice poster will give me some good advice. Okay? THANKS :D