Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I use https://www.drugs.com/cdi/omeprazole-magnesium-delayed-release-capsules-and-tablets.html

If you have GIRD symptoms, talk to your doc about stretching the sphincter in your esophagus via Esophageal dilation. See: http://www.healthline.com/health/esophageal-stricture-benign#Diagnosis5

For me, I suffered from horrible acid reflux early post op.

Both Rabeprazole and Pantoprazole did not help at all.

I was advised by another forum member to try Nexium 40mg (Esomeprazole). This worked for me! Got rid of acid reflux completely. I took it for 5 months, and recently slowly weaned myself of it.

No more reflux!

Nexium is long lasting, big tablet though to swallow.

Talk to your surgeon, sounds like you need a strong PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitor)

Good luck, and hope you feel better soon!

@@kimygirl

The "pump" is not a real pump. PPIs are strong acid reducers (like Nexium, and the others I mentioned), and yes, it is a funny name. So don't worry, no real pumps are involved.

Month out from surgery was the time when I started on Nexium, and I was then fine with swallowing larger tablets.

Hope it works for you too!

Let us know how you go.

From memory, Nexium took 2-3 days to work for me, and then I was fine.

Good luck!

I will admit that I have become very biased against ppi's. The rebound effect when they wear off is 10 times what the pain was that got me to take them in the first place. That said, for the first 3 months post-op, take what you need to take to heal.

Once you are healed and eating mostly regular food, you may want to consider how to get off your ppi. I tried orange peel oil capsules (d-Limonene) after a variety of efforts to decrease my dependence on Zantac and Omeprazole. It is not a symptom treatment for when you have active heartburn, but rather a therapy to change how your motility and stomach acid work. I took 1000 mg every other night for 20 nights and managed to stop all other meds. I now take my orange oil twice a week and am good all night without heartburn. Check it out...if you don't want to take ppi's forever.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

@@kimygirl

I weaned off Nexium over few weeks, very slowly, and I did not have any rebound effects.

If they are stopped suddenly, yes, acid may come back for a while.

I started weaning off, and taking Nexium every 1.5 days for few days, then every 2 days, then 3 days, 4, 5, then once per week. Then I stopped taking it.

This way my body adjusted to no PPIs in my system, and haven't taken any now for over a month, and still no more acid.

I did not need any Mylanta or Gaviscon, even though I have them for "just in case".

Good luck :)

Zofran is for nausea.

When acid is coming back up the oesophagus and throat, this calls for a strong PPI, but always check with your doctor/surgeon first.