Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your hair ever come back to normal?

Hi,

I am interested in getting the vsg but I am so scared about the side effects of Hair loss.< /p>

I would be okay with hair loss if it was guaranteed that it would grow back later, but I'm scared that my hair won't ever be thick as it used to be.

For those experienced sleevers, what has been your experience like regarding hair loss? does it come back to the state it used to be before the surgery? or does it come back thinner than before? Please help. i'm so anxious about this because I already have thin hair... :(

I didn't lose much, if any. I do have really thick hair, but I didn't notice any increase in shedding. The doctor said to really follow the guidelines for Protein and supplements and that would minimize it. It has for me.

I've been told once your weight loss normalizes, the hair goes back to normal

I've also heard keeping up on Protein as the previous poster said can really help prevent Hair loss

I've read mixed reviews about Biotin

I'm hoping too have the surgery in November and I am also so worried about losing my hair. My friend had the procedure and lost most of hers. I know we are all different but if we follow the guidelines w should be good. I hope.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

I'd rather be able then fat. At least if you lose your hair, you can get some cute wigs! I am/was worried about it too but there is nothing you can do to avoid it. If it happens, it happens. I'm only two months post op and haven't experienced it yet but I've heard it does grow back. Regardless, the benefits outweighed the risks for me. No one ever died from thin hair.

I've heard hair loss is all about Protein. If you hit your Protein goals you shouldn't have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I too am terrified of losing it. I was never that worried til menopause came and my hair has thinned out. People always say wow your hair so thick, but between WEN and meno, I probably have half of what I used to. Been taking Biotin and evening primrose, use Rosemary oil in it. Still can tell the difference.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

I'm almost 18 months out and have lost 75% of my hair. And I had the thickest hair of anyone I know. It just started to really show how thin it was. I take in over 100 grams of Protein a day, take Biotin, and drink an insane amount of Water. There is nothing you can do to prevent it. I'm currently using some hair stuff that I put on my scalp each night. Yesterday my hair dresser told me I have tons of new growth and that it's just really thin on the ends. I know it will grow back, it's just awkward stages you have to go through while it's growing back. Surgery is still the best decision. But be prepared to lose a lot of hair.

Edited by hwmedina

I too have lost a crazy amount. I have slowed down on my weight loss even tho I think I need to lose around 20 lbs or so. I am at 172 now. Down from 329. I wear hats and scarves and have a wig and a hairpiece. I'm hoping it grows back. I'm 16 months out from a RNY. What are you using for the regrowth? My blood work is normal. I could do better with Protein and Vitamins but for the most part, I'm consistent. What is the name of the product/products that you are using??

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

I am 50 and have female pattern baldness. I can relate to your concern. Last year I backed out of surgery because of the hair loss side effect. I was afraid of my hair not growing back, and needing to wear a wig. Now it's a year later and I'm waiting for my surgery date. I decided that I'd be better off healthy, wearing a wig, than morbidly obese with thinning hair.

Good luck with your decision.

@@barcelona37 So far I am going for it, and hoping not to back out. I have been taking meds for H. Pylori (Day 7 today and 7 more to go) and I am one who has not taken antibiotics for over 20 yrs because I don't believe in them....and here I am. These are heavy duty. I am trying to come to terms with the hair thing, keep taking my Biotin supplements. I will have an endoscopy next week Friday (another $309) and the following week psych evaluation ($185)....the only reason I put those amounts is that I will be paying out of pocket. So it keeps adding up, paid $365 at original office meeting. So the more I spend, makes me think I will be going thru with it and not backing out. ;-) :D

@"Ginsin007" I think it'll be worth it. I'm not looking forward to wearing a wig, but there are a lot of nice, realistic ones out there. Think how good you'll feel when you're thin, healthy and energetic. It took me a whole year to realize that those benefits are worth sacrificing my hair. You've already invested a lot of money, another reason to go through with it. Good luck.

Tamara