Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't even know where to begin. I have been going through all the pre-op tests and what ever. Just recently finished seeing the pshyciatrist, and jumping through all of those hoops. I waited for over a week for the hospital to contact me, and nothing. Finally I called them, and they said that the recomendation from the psychiatrist stated that I needed to see another head doctor to learn to deal with "issues". When I asked what they were, I was told that she said that I needed help with giving up junk food, pop and smoking. I haven't had pop in over 2 months and told her that, and as for junk food, I can take it or leave it Im not really into that. My only issue that I have is smoking which, I know, I have to give up 2 months before surgery. I admit that I haven't worked very hard on that aspect, but I am prepared for that and ready to do what I have to do. Im kinda pissed cuz the original shrink said nothing about seeing anyone else, and led me to believe that I was on my way. Now, I have to make another appointment with another doctor!!! GRRRR. I know that the insurance is going to require alot of proof about alot of things, it's just that I am so fricking tired of jumping through hoops and getting NO WHERE!

I quit smoking in April, so i was a non smoker when I got banded a couple of weeks ago. If you need support for the smoking thing, feel free to pm me. Hang in there!!

they say that gastric bypass patients are the healthiest patients there are because of all the pretesting we endure. i began my hoops in february... it got discouraging sometimes, but hang in there cuz i thought sometimes that they wanted to know who is serious about it and who isn't.

I'm glad I was approved before my insurance started requiring patients to see the head doctor. I don't like head doctors, as they like to "read" into everything. It seems like no matter what you say to them, they find an "issue" related to it. Geeeezzzzz!

Good luck to you! As the others have said -- just hang in there.

Wow! The red tape in this country has gotten completely out of hand!

No wonder it costs twice as much here to get banded & our medical care is so outrageous anymore. It isn't like you are going in for a sex change operation! Most of us have a clear head & know that we want to do this. We've researched it till our heart's content & know exactly what to expect before & after. Heck I had even watched the actual surgery on YouTube a couple of times before getting it done!

Why we need a shrink telling patients that they have a problem with junk food is WAY beyond me! What a stupid thing to say...if none of us had an addiction to junk or any other food we wouldn't even be here@!@

Of course...this is the country where insurance companies are saying the Lap-Band is still experimental. I thank my lucky stars I had the money to go to Mexico & get my surgery 25 days after first seeing my Doctor. All they required was a blood test & an EKG with an internal medicine Doc. I would have had to go through holy hell to get banded here since my BMI was 38.

Why everything in the medical field here has to be blown out of proportion can only be attributed to the insane lawsuits that are going to make it cost prohibitive to get medical help here in a few years. I've been to Docs in Mexico for other things & nothing is really a big deal like it is here, they are very calm & assertive about treating the patient. Maybe it's because they don't have to worry about a lawsuit around every corner & they can more freely talk to their patients.

Enough with all the red tape already!!!:)

I smoked for 23 years and i quit in Feb. I took this wonderful pill called chantix. I have tried eveything up until this point, patch wellbutrin you name it I tried it. The chantix was expensive but a God send . I still have a hard time believing I am a non smoker. 8 months. Im here if you need support cherforth@gmail.com

Hi there,

I quit smoking years before the surgery and i did it using nicotine Patches. I strongly recommend that.

Hala

I have tried MORE than once to quit smoking. I've tried the patch a couple of times, but I am VERY allergic to that and break out everywhere I put a patch start running out of places. LOL. I absolutely can't stand the gum tastes like crap. And, I can't take Wellbutrin, I've had a seizure, and my Doc won't even let me near that. She did give me a script for Chantix, and I do hear wonderful things about it, one of the guys I work with used it and has done really well. I am gonna get that this week, if my paycheck allows. Am I just stupid or is it kinda dumb that my insurance will pay for all the treatments I may need due to the fact that I smoke, which could come to how many thousands of dollars, but they won't put out for a treatment that actually may help me quit? Hmmm, don't see any logic there. Insurance, can't live without it, can do a darn thing with it!

I'll be honest--I smoke. I simply told them that I quit...like I told them I switched to Decaf coffee; made up menus that didn't exist. Basically told them what they wanted to hear. The insurance company gave me 8 visits and the guy was trying to soak us for all 8. I finally got smart and told him what he wanted to hear after being jerked around. The 8 appts he thought he'd get turned into 5, because I told him I've done everything he asked and I won't be returning. He signed off on me and sent a positive report the next day.

the surgery was 16,000---the tests were more!!! and don't forget about the time,enengy,gas,and last but not least the parking fees!! Welll worth the effort...down 111lbs!! 52 to go.....the only thing however that has changed is the size of my clothes!! The rest of me was ok--just the packaging was a bit bulky!!! Of course I have the same experiences and bad tastes as everyone else...but apparently the wollowing was kept at bay--I had to many other things to do other than listen to others peoples opinions....my mother died when I was 17--raised my siblings,got an education,married,raised a family/worked...and to cope...I ATE!! Thank G-d for the band!! It is NOW that I have to decide what creative things I have to do with my extra time now that I don't spend every minute shopping/making/putting away FOOD!!! Oh what tangled webs.....guess I will go knit and hold the new grandbaby!!!

I quit with chantix as well.

This pill is wonderful.

I didn't even finish the full month supply.

I quit by day four of taking the pill.

For one I really wanted to quit.

For two my daughter was diagnosed with leukemia in june.

I know my smoking didn't cause it but it sure doesn't help.

I thought how selfish and stupid of me to continue smoking with her illness.

For three I have asthma,allergies,excema.

For four I dont smell and I dont look like a fat chain smoking,non breathing addict.

I have so much energy and I just feel better gurl.

I know it is a hard habit to quit but when you really really want to acheive something nothing in this world will stop you!

I came out of anesthia with no problem.

You need to make lifestyle changes to better the quality of your life and the loved ones around you.

My daughter is so so proud of me.

She tells everyone I quit smoking.

Do this for yourself honey it is worth it!

You weren't born smoking and you wont die without it.

Jump into the new you and enjoy the ride!

Much love and blessings.