Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Muscle Gain.

The post I've seen from others here have inspired me. I never thought that working out would ever take me to the fitness level I'm at in my old age. Now I'm reading everything I can about weight lifting. I've been strength training for a year. I'm now curious of where this can take me.

How long have you been strength training?

What has given you the best results for muscle gain?

What body fat percentage should you have for your height and weight. (healthy zone)

I'm surprised no one has replied to this post as of yet. My weightlifting in the beginning was to maintain muscle mass to aid in the fat burning. I would say that around January of this year is when I started making strength my goal. My goals are realistic though, I am not trying to gain inches on my arm circumference or anything. My goal is body weight everywhere. Lift my body weight off the floor, 10 pull-ups in a row, squat my body weight... you get the idea.

What has given my the best results is not to focus on a deadline. That's not always the best, but for me it works. Last time I injured myself it was because I was trying to make too big of gains too quickly. As long as I can say I did my best that day, I call it a good day.

Last time I was at my surgeons office, I was at 17-20% body fat. That's right where he wanted me. He said I was getting down to essential fat and didn't want me to go much lower. Honestly though, I don't think fat is my issue, it's the excess skin!

The post I've seen from others here have inspired me. I never thought that working out would ever take me to the fitness level I'm at in my old age. Now I'm reading everything I can about weight lifting. I've been strength training for a year. I'm now curious of where this can take me.

How long have you been strength training?

3 years though I feel like I've only been doing it seriously for 1 1/2 years. The first year 18 months was about weight reduction/ getting to goal.

What has given you the best results for muscle gain?

Consistently lifting and tracking my food. Hitting my Protein number. Progressively lifting heavier. Alternating volume with load. Some days is 3 sets of 20 with light weight, some days it's 3 sets of 5-8 with heavy weights. Play around.

What body fat percentage should you have for your height and weight. (healthy zone)

I am at 21%. Thinking about going sub 20% as a goal after the holidays. Right now I am focused on add strength/mass. I want to rebuild my deflated glutes and improve my shoulders, they are weak. Trying to decide if I really go for it in 2017 and prep for a bikini competition. If I do that then bf would ideally be 15%, I would need to lose approx. 8 lbs of fat, more once this bulk is done.

@@BigViffer

I liked that you don't focus on a deadline. Muscle gains seem to be slow for me. I need to relax. It all takes time.

I had concentrated on running and neglected my upper body. I'm hitting weights with more intensity. I'm just starting to see results in my arms and upper back.

@@erp

No bikini contest for me ;) 8 pounds would drop you to 15% body fat. Amazing~!! Thanks for the tip on alternating.

I use a body composition scale to measure my body fat. How does excess skin factor into body fat % readings? I'm at 23% not bad for my age but I would like to have more muscle to balance my body.

sxd-accu-measure-instructions-chart.jpg

I've been weight training a couple years. Recently getting more serious, I lost a lot of muscle after my WLS. It can take quite some time, I think. I don't use any system or plan though, I just read stuff on bodybuilding.com and do strength exercises that I put together.

I'm also on bodybuilding.com. Their head office is here. Great perk for where I live. I burnt some muscle running after surgery. It was not a good look for me. My goal is healthy. Can't wait to see some gains.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

One thing that has always inspired me to lift weights regularly is not so much body building, although being trim and fit is nice....

I am obsessed with body fat %...dieting and exercising are good, and can lead to fat loss....but what about that visceral fat...the fat marbled within your muscle?

Weight lifting, working your muscles helps to take care of that.

Here's my progression if anyone cares to see. It takes time and patience, more than anything.

Muscle progression

Edited by Chrystee

I'm also on bodybuilding.com. Their head office is here. Great perk for where I live. I burnt some muscle running after surgery. It was not a good look for me. My goal is healthy. Can't wait to see some gains.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

Their Squat Booty Sorority is killer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I had more to offer in this thread.......sorry.

I'm still having to wait on the old ladies to re-rack the pink dumbbells so I can get my lift sessions in.

Weak 'n feeble hombre, here.

@@B-52 @@Chrystee

The fat marbled within your muscle. Good point B-52. In maintenance its not about the weight loss anymore. I'm not afraid of gain only if its lean muscle.

I have to admit I am a bit obsessed after seeing how my body is transforming so far. Thanks for the progression Photos!@@Chrystee. I hope others share them. It inspires me that this can be done.

I was intimidated moving to the guy's area of the weight room. I'm now one of the guy's after a year on the floor. ;)

@@Dub

Weight loss took away my booty! Its all a work in progress.

Dub I've seen your arms..They look fantastic. Woohoo well done!. Even if its girly weights :P.

@@Dub

Dub I've seen your arms..They look fantastic. Woohoo well done!. Even if its girly weights :P.

Grinning.......yer progress has been noted and 'mired by many on here.

And.... my arms are about all I got at the moment.

brb.....acquiring some other parts.......................

@@Dub

The other part's. I will remain silent. I would die of embarrassment to comment.

@@B-52 @@Chrystee

The fat marbled within your muscle. Good point B-52. In maintenance its not about the weight loss anymore. I'm not afraid of gain only if its lean muscle.

I have to admit I am a bit obsessed after seeing how my body is transforming so far. Thanks for the progression Photos!@@Chrystee. I hope others share them. It inspires me that this can be done.

I was intimidated moving to the guy's area of the weight room. I'm now one of the guy's after a year on the floor. ;)

YES. I love working out with the guys too now!

@@Dub

I better check out those arms..