Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sticker shock . . .

Wow I just got the bill from hospital and Dr. for RNY.

Total was over $52,000.00

Even with insurance this is a huge pocket shock.

Is this in line with what others are seeing?

That was the range of the surgery. But insurance paid most of it. My cost was around five thousand.

That does seem on the high side. Interestingly, if you pay out of pocket it can cost far less than insurance. I want to say my doctor quoted me low $20ks for out of pocket and closer to $40k through insurance.

Did you get yours done through Spectrum in GR?

It is crazy what these doctors and hospitals charge insurance companies. Mine was right around 55K two years ago but thankfully my out of pocket for the year had been met earlier in the year so it cost me nothing.

I am learning quickly having just had plastics how badly these hospitals gouge insurance companies. I don't understand how it works so this is just my perception.

In a few months I am having a TT and Breast lift with augmentation. The cost will come out of pocket 17,000. My doctor does not require a night or two in the hospital but recommends it. She got me a deal for $500.00 per night. That is cheap compared to what would be charged to my insurance.

Whoever said self pay for WLS can sometimes be a better option is not wrong if their max out of pocket is really high. I know ours is 6K. Doctors can get you a deal.

Crazy!

That does seem on the high side. Interestingly, if you pay out of pocket it can cost far less than insurance. I want to say my doctor quoted me low $20ks for out of pocket and closer to $40k through insurance.

Did you get yours done through Spectrum in GR?

Your surgeon's bill is different than the hospital bill. The bill you received was probably just hospital charges. Outrageous isn't it?

This was done at spectrum in GR and this cost was Dr & hospital

Dr was 12k of it

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My doctor did mention the majority of the charges were not him!

Oh yeah, and he actually makes more money when people self pay. Even though the cost is far less.

It's a messed up system.

Wow thats insane. Mines was like 69,000 and I payed 1700.00 out of pocket.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

My surgery self pay is $10,000. I saw that the hospital charge of $5000

Edited by jenjenp

I work in medical coding and that's about right. Each state and region have different costs for the procedure so it varies but that's about the median.

Cost is usually $5000 ish after insurance. But that sounds about right. The surgery itself is $25000 ish then you have to pay for the anesthesiologist and the hospital stay

If you pay out of pocket in the US, demand they give you a discount. Especially if you're paying cash. ALL hospitals will if you ask.

For an example of bill versus pay out, I recently had surgery on my hand. The hospital and surgeon billed the insurance for $21,000. The insurance paid out a little over $600. I have no co-pay on this.

I have met my maximum out of pocket. So Monday's bypass surgery will cost me nothing!! #feelingblessed