Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am very frustrated. I have had the sleeve 3 yrs ago and I got very close to my goal weight. Then I got a herniated disc in my spine and 2 other vertebrae that are pinching nerves so the dr. Put me on steroids... so I'm sure u guessed I gained 40lbs back and it won't come off.

Sincerely Sad!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

So what and how much are you eating compared to when you were losing weight? That's what you really need to look at. steroids don't magically make you gain weight on their own. I've been on both prednisone and methylprednisolone for cervical stenosis and pinched nerves since my VSG 2 1/2 years ago and did not gain any weight because I still made myself eat on plan.

Basically steroids cause weight gain because of

1) Fluid retention, which can partially be controlled with a low sodium/high potassium diet;

2) increased appetite, which you need to still keep in check with mindful eating. Track and measure every bite if you have to.

and 3) decreased activity due to pain or doctor ordered restrictions. But in the end, weight loss and gain has to do what you put in your mouth, not necessarily how much you excercise.

Go back to basics. Lots of Water and Protein. Watch your carb and sodium intake very carefully. Try resetting yourself with a week or two of Protein shakes only or try the 5 day pouch test.

Thank You so much for responding. . Please tell me what I need to do.. if it is protien shakes for how long or what... to answer you question. . I am a Coke-cola addict.

P.S. in love wine. :(

Thank You so much for responding. . Please tell me what I need to do.. if it is protien shakes for how long or what... to answer you question. . I am a Coke-cola addict.

P.S. in love wine. :(

First, give up the coca-cola.

Second, make an appointment with your NUT.

Third, start tracking your food if you are not doing so already.

Fourth, drink at least 64 oz non-carbonated, non-caffeinated Fluid a day.

Fifth, focus on getting in all of your Protein. What is your Protein target? Mine is 100 grams a day.

Sixth, avoid starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), and fried foods.

Seventh, take your Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Eighth, exercise.

Well I guarantee your weight gain is from Coke and wine and whatever other empty calories you are consuming, not from the steroids.

Once I was maintaining below goal I have stopped any regains immediately if I pop even 1 pound above my bounce range. 2 things have worked for me....

1) full on preop Liquid Protein "preop" diet. Three Protein shakes/day and unlimited leafy green veggies. At least 80g protein and 100oz Water. Usually only takes a few days of this to drop several pounds and to curb any carb cravings that have taken hold.

Or 2) go back to just protein and veggies. Still the same protein/water goals but my overall calories are higher and it may take a couple weeks to drop a few pounds.

If you cut out all refined carbs (including Coke, alcohol, Pasta, bread, rice, etc) and just go back to the same basics that helped you lose during those first 6-12 months you WILL lose those 40 pounds. It may take several months, but isnt that why we had surgery? To lose weight and keep it off? And remember You've got your sleeve forever. Let your sleeve do what it does (portion control) and you do what you need to do (make smart choices) and it will work.

Thank you so ugh for your info I'm up 20 lbs after two years

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I've gained back almost 40 lbs as well and that's because I never made my goal so I have more than that to lose. I had a baby which accounts for some of it. Due to complications, I was told to increase my calories and Protein intake and I may have taken it too far. I also haven't been able to exercise due to sciatica and knee pain. I was already losing my mind and eating poorly and then these things made it so much easier. I had barely been maintaining my weight with 5 high intensity workouts a week. If I go back to full liquids, how long is best? I'm thinking three weeks at least.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The positive thing about ALL of you is you are on here, reaching out, and desire results. I had my surgery on 2.6.17 after complications from a failed lapband done in 2009. My weight was at 232 when I saw doc for the first time and 218 pre-op. I am at 178 right now toward a goal of 165. I, like some of you, have other physical issues that cause chronic pain. I have learned this is not a sprint but a Marathon. Every day I wake up thankful for a new day to reset the way I eat, move and live. First pic is me two weeks ago. Second is me 15 months ago in black and white dress. You've got this. IMG_5510.JPG IMG_2395.JPG

I'm 18 months since my surgery and was doing great till my father passed away and my mother with Alzheimer's cane to live with me. On top of that the stress of raising a child with autism combined drove me over the edge. I was 15 pounds away from my goal and instead I've packed on an additional 15. My mom is now living with my brother and while in still grieving the loss of my father and in many ways my mother I'm ready to get my life back in track.

My question is mainly about portion size cause Im used to eating till I feel like the food is about to come up. Is it always 4oz or does it go to half cup or one whole cup of food per serving for the long term.