Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve surgery

I was banded in 2005 and never had much success with it. Initially, it seemed to work once I got a good level of fill. Right off the bat, I hated having to adjust the fill level but I thought if I found that sweet spot, it would be worth the messing around. I got pregnant in 2007 and my band was never good again. I tried, unsuccessfully, to find a good level of restriction again and ultimately I just left the band empty. Even empty, there were days where I couldn't swallow Water, let alone any food. It sucked! I made up for the days I couldn't eat or drink by eating a tremendous amount on the days I could eat. On those days, it was like I didn't have a band. That inconsistency drove me crazy. I also developed very bad acid reflux and a mildly dilated esophagus.

Summer of 2015 I finally talked seriously with my PCP and he recommended I have revision surgery to the sleeve. I researched heavily and in December I settled on a great bariatric surgeon who came highly recommended and we started the insurance approval process. I was approved in February 2016 and had revision from band to sleeve in one procedure on April 4.

I am so happy that I chose to do it. Not a moment of regret, other than I wish I had done it sooner! The sleeve is everything I wanted the band to be. At 9 weeks out now, I have no appetite and great restriction. I am back to eating all regular foods now with no restrictions and I take in 900 to 1,000 calories a day. I stick with high Protein, high fat, and low carbs and have lost 44 pounds so far, 7 lbs on my pre-op diet and the rest since surgery.

Best of luck to you!

I hope I have this success!!! I am SO nervous Sleeve is on July 7

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20160610-171409.png

Sent from my SM-G930F using the BariatricPal App

I had the band in 2008 and had one issue after another. In about 2010 we opened it up all the way and I still had an issue now and then. Mostly with reflux and with swallowing. I had pneumonia back in April and had to have a chest x-ray. My pcp told me that I needed to follow up with my surgeon or go to a gastroenterologist because the radiologist reported something showing up around the band. I went to my original surgeon and he said it was just an air pocket or something but he wanted to do a swallow test. I told him I was interested in doing the sleeve and he changed the test to a different swallow test. It showed that there were motility issues. I had been feeling nauseated for six months or so constantly just not super bad. We then went on the trek of getting Insurance approval and all the preop stuff.

I had surgery on June 2nd. It was a success. There was swelling around my band so my surgeon put in a drain. I go back for my first post op visit on Monday. I'm not really hungry. The only issue is being really weak and tired.

For me, the nausea in the hospital was pretty bad. But they kept me really drugged up so it was manageable. Once I got home and the drugs were out of my system the nausea has gone away and I feel pretty darn good.

I hope you have great luck!

This is my EXACT story, well minus having the baby part. I too was banded in 2005. I was 280 lbs, lost 70 lbs, didn't keep it off for very long and am now back up to 288. I have had HORRIBLE HORRIBLE reflux, able to eat anything, and am so frustrated!! I have been 3 times to talk to my surgeon about a revision to the sleeve & each time he tells me I need to get an EGD & then I just never go back. I've been looking into revision now since 2013. My insurance covers bariatric surgery but not sure if that includes revisions. I am going to call my surgeon again on Monday & make another appointment. Unfortunately I am in graduate school right now, in addition to working full time, so I don't really have a lot of down time available, so I'm not really sure how this surgery would fit into my life. At this point though I have GOT to do something. I can't continue on this way. My BP is out of control, I'm pretty sure if I'm not diabetic by now I am RIGHT on the edge & this reflux is the worst.

I am so happy to hear that you are loving the revision. If I get it done I definitely only want to have it done in one surgery. I can't even imagine the weight I would gain with NO restriction...Anyway, thanks for your post & keep us update about your progress!

Candi

I had my band surgery 2008 lost 40lbs and gained it back and than some. Some days I can eat everything and anything in front of me and others I cannot even drink Water. I have been going through this since September 2015 I kept telling my pcp he never listen to my concerns in December I threw up really bad and had pains kind of where the band is and i decided to switch Drs as my pcp just ignored everything I was telling him. My new PCP is very proactive and has had me seen the cardiologist, OBGYN, and sleep test done. I have seen the Bariatric Dr that the insurance sent me to and she said first I have to have my band removed and than the sleeve. Which to me is getting really frustrating. I called her Dr's office today and someone there told me that she does not have a hospital to do the leeve at the moment and that is why they have only submitted auth for my band removal. I am getting really frustrated as I keep gaining weight. I appreciate any support or any other Ideas on how to get this going faster. I have called my PCP and left a message for him as I just saw him yesterday and expressed how frustrated I am.

I had my band surgery 2008 lost 40lbs and gained it back and than some. Some days I can eat everything and anything in front of me and others I cannot even drink Water. I have been going through this since September 2015 I kept telling my pcp he never listen to my concerns in December I threw up really bad and had pains kind of where the band is and i decided to switch Drs as my pcp just ignored everything I was telling him. My new PCP is very proactive and has had me seen the cardiologist, OBGYN, and sleep test done. I have seen the Bariatric Dr that the insurance sent me to and she said first I have to have my band removed and than the sleeve. Which to me is getting really frustrating. I called her Dr's office today and someone there told me that she does not have a hospital to do the leeve at the moment and that is why they have only submitted auth for my band removal. I am getting really frustrated as I keep gaining weight. I appreciate any support or any other Ideas on how to get this going faster. I have called my PCP and left a message for him as I just saw him yesterday and expressed how frustrated I am.

I can tell you they do not like to do the band removal and the sleeve at the same time. I was fortunate because I know my surgeon personally and he knows I will run to him or call him if there are any issues. He told me before my surgery that he would do it only if it was safe to do it once he got in there.

He explained that about 5% of the cases they can't do it at the same time.

My advice is to possibly see if there is another surgeon that will try to do them at the same time. The other thing is that you all are not wanting to do the EGD - well, that's what provided me with the ammunition I needed for my insurance to cover the revision surgery. As long as you have something to support the need to have it done, in addition to your weight gain then you'll probably be able to get it approved. The doctors know what they need to do to get the procedure approved.

The one thing I will tell you is the sleeve is very different. Be prepared to be super tired and weak for a week or more.. it may not be the same with you. I'm used to being able to bounce back fast. I haven't had real pain, the drain was a pain and it was in for 12 days.. and that made it a little difficult to do much. But.. it's not bad.

so the Bariatric Dr said I was going to have the EGD done at the same time I have the band removed. this is just all confusing to me but I find this website's info to be so much support and to know that I am not the only one going through this.

so the Bariatric Dr said I was going to have the EGD done at the same time I have the band removed. this is just all confusing to me but I find this website's info to be so much support and to know that I am not the only one going through this.

Interesting.. You know... I do remember him telling me that he was doing one when he removed the band before he did the sleeve. I had to do a swallow test before I had my surgery. I can't remember what I was called... but you had to swallow this stuff that was like a diluted sprite with pop rocks in it.. while you swallow it they do the xray. The radiologist is in the room and watching and telling you what to do... how to turn etc.

I think the EGD must be so they can see the inside of the stomach and make sure all is ok.