Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The surgery doesn't scare me, but...

I'm scheduled for surgery in early July, and people keep asking if I'm excited for it. I can say with absolute honesty, that I am. However, the month of June is more than a little daunting for me.

During the last several months I've been setting up little deadlines for myself habit/diet-wise, and I've done pretty well with them: no soda since early February, no caffeine as of May 1st... basically I didn't want to be going through withdrawals at the same time I was changing up my eating habits. However, the big goal I set for myself was that starting in June I would simplify my diet to high-Protein, low-carb, no processed food - basically to actually cook/prep my own food rather than letting the nearest restaurant do it for me.

Technically speaking, I'm only required to do two weeks of liquid diet prior to surgery - but I want to prep my mind and body for what to expect when I eventually come off liquids after surgery. I've got a general plan in place, know what I'm doing, and I'll do it... it's just freaking me out a little mentally.

Plus, at work, I'm the one who fixes most of the issues everyone else has when it comes to Word, or how our documentation process works. Do you need something for marketing/proposals that is a little different from the usual, or a new document template to be created? Have a random task that needs done, but no one else is sure how to do it? It comes my way. Except that after July 1st, I'm out for a month.

My employer/co-workers have been fairly supportive, but have recently realized that even though a temp is coming in to help with the work load, that there is a lot of stuff that I'm pretty much only one at the office who knows how things work, so I have been given a rather hefty task list to accomplish before I take off... So yeah, I'm looking forward to surgery in July, but the month running up to it is going to be a bit of a trial-by-fire, and I'm not looking forward to it.

One thing to remember is that they have had plenty of notice to get things in place for your absence. No matter how much they'll miss you, you are not irreplaceable. I'm not saying that to make you feel bad or downplay how much you do, but you need to see that putting yourself in the position of feeling responsible for everything in your office (especially to the point where you're experiencing anxiety about being out for a little while) is putting too much pressure on yourself. They are competent adults and can survive your absence. And if they can't, you'll have great job security. ;)

All you need to do is leave notes on anything that they might want to access easily, and then forget about work once you're out and concentrate on healing and resting. :)

It's natural to overthink things in the months leading up to the surgery.

I know that I did.

I wanted to take action that would get me "there" sooner. lol.

Now.....looking back on things from my perspective as someone who is 7 months post-op......I'd have simply told myself to chill......relax......and do just as you are doing and cut out all sugars and refined carbs.....exercise more......get plenty of rest and enjoy the process.

Know that you'll be able to eat any of the foods you've always enjoyed, so there is zero need to have "goodbye parties" with them. Start the aggressive weight loss approach now and roll into your surgery significantly lighter.

Relax. Don't overthink and add stress. You are doing great with your planning and will glide through this process.

You could tell them they can text or call you if they need to. That usually makes people feel better but they don't actually do it bc they know you're recovering

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@FrankiesGirl...They are competent adults and can survive your absence. And if they can't, you'll have great job security. ;)

You're right. But I'll have to remind them of that too (The competent part).

@Dub... Thank you, wise words.

@Charley27... In most circumstances I would absolutely do that, but part of my time off is filed under FMLA, and if I assist the office in any way while I'm out, it can invalidate my leave. They'll have to survive, as FrankiesGirl said.

after July 1st, I'm out for a month

@

you had major tummy surgery :o

take time for yourself

lots of rest, fluids etc

that's great that you have been approved for taking a month off of work PO

is that your thinking on how much time you feel you need after surgery??

all people react differently PO

some OP might take a month or so to feel able to go back to work

(i don't think that's the norm?")

others need a couple of weeks, i think this is very common

some need only one week

other people returning to work in a matter of days

you won't know where you stand, til you start standing LOL

doesn't have to be all or nothing

how about 1/2 day work weeks

good luck with surgery

life gets better and better!!!!

speedy recovery

kathy

@@proudgrammy

that's great that you have been approved for taking a month off of work PO

is that your thinking on how much time you feel you need after surgery??

LOL... It's a combination of factors that result in taking that much time off. Because I'll be staying overnight in a hospital, my work wanted me to file my time off under FMLA (as a CYA for them, and to make sure I'm fit to come back). Because of the way the FMLA is set up here, it costs me the same amount of vacation whether I take 2 weeks or a month off. Plus, my surgery is in Mexico, and I'm heading in a few days early to play tourist before I go for surgery.. Moreover, by supervisor thinks I'm crazy to try and come back only 3 weeks after surgery. When her daughter had it, it was a month before she was cleared to go back to work. My original plan of only taking 2 weeks was met with utter horror!