Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

trouble with liquids

Hi all,

I am two days post op and am having trouble getting in all water/clear Protein liquid that is required. According to the nutritionist I am suppose to dring a bottle and a half of the liquid Isopure along with water/ crystal light totaling 64oz a day.

Did anyone else have trouble with this at first? Any suggestions? I drink little sips at a time but soon after feel uncomfortable. Any one else experience this?

Thanks

Val:help:

First two days I didn't want to drink either. I am one week post op and it got much better. I don't really know the answer but I would call your doctor if you are literally not drinking anything. If it that you are drinking some but not enough I would give it a few more days.

I had surgery on Monday the 13th. I can get all liquids down without any problem. What happens? Do you throw up when you try to drink your liquids?

My problem is different. I can't hardly move. I am so gassy and nothing comes out and its hard to get in and out of bed.

I rec'd mine on Friday the 10th. Today is the first day that I actually feel better. So close to 6 days later. My incision bothered me for some time and my stomach has been upset. I am gassy as well and constantly feel as if I have something stuck in my chest area. Does anyone else have an upset stomach. Will this go away?/

I know how you are all feeling I am one week post op and just starting to feel 'normal' - I couldn't get that much liquid down either at first and even now I get uncomfortable if I drink but the amount that I can now take is a little bit more. Walking and moving around seemed to really help although I still think its important to relax - remeber your body is healing.

Thanks for the advice. I feel pretty good. I had problems yesterday moving but today is much better. I havent had much problem with the gas but I have been walking around the house quite a bit. I dont get sick when I drink liquids just an uncomfortable feeling in my chest. I think this is how it feels now to be full. It will take some getting used to I guess.

Val

I had nutritionist appt today for pre-op visit and she told us that for the first month we would only be allowed liquids for one month. She said 8 oz per day over an 8 hour period. The first week would strictly be Water and after that, if possible, you can have things like watery Jello, raw eggs, cream of wheat, broth and a few other things. She said most people wouldn't even be able to do the 8 oz at first. She said the Vitamins that have to be taken is counted in the liquid total. It seems like some folks here at attempting to eat food in the first few weeks. Are all doctors' guidelines different? She even made sure to tell us liquids did not include Protein Shakes and stuff. There is so much contradicting things regarding rules and regs for this surgery. Of course, I will follow what my doctor says but it is good to know that it may not be as strict as 8 oz of water per day for a month. Little thrown back by that news today. It's all in the name of good health though. I will do whatever it takes. Good Luck All

I was told to drink 64 oz of Water a day plus my Protein shakes. It was very hard to get all that down the first couple of days. After that, it gets a lot easier. I did feel nauseated at times, but my doctor gave me liquid nausea medicine at discharge that worked great.

Banded 7-20-07

I was banded on Monday the 13th. My doc wants me to get about 2 liters in. I am doing it, but it seems to be a lot right now. Sipping is the hardest. I am doing well. A little pain at port site and some gas pains. No biggie. Getting around well- have been taking short walks around the block. I hope to get a longer walk in today.

I was also told to drink Clear liquids the first six days. This includes Jello, broth, and Isopure clear. I was told to drink a bottle and a half which provides enough Protein so you wont loose your hair.

On Sat. I can start on liquids which may include creamy Soups, Protein shakes (which are required) pudding, cream of wheat. I have six days of that and then can go to mushies.

I think Protein is very important at this stage.

Val

She said 8 oz per day over an 8 hour period. The first week would strictly be Water and after that, if possible, you can have things like watery Jello, raw eggs, cream of wheat, broth and a few other things.

Wow! That's rough. Only 8oz of Water for a week!? You are going to be so dehydrated and getting no protein! That doesn't seem very contusive to healing.

(PS. I wouldn't eat raw eggs. Imagine getting salmonella right after surgery? Yikes!)