Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Days Post Op - Questions?

Hi all,

I am 12 days post-op, and still feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest. :heh: My shoulder pain finally subsided, but I do feel nauseated and have pain around my port site. Does this sound normal? I have progressed from clear fluids, to full liquids, but tend to get more tightness in my chest when I have anything creamy or milky.

I haven't gone back to work yet, as I don't know I will manage taking my crushed meds & painkillers, eating so little, the nausea and the stress of my job. The surgeon also had to repair a hernia (that I didn't know I had), so I am wondering if I am not recovering as fast as others because of this? I have read that some people are up cleaning their houses after 5 days, but I am still in bed most of the day (I do get up walk around every few hours) so I feel I am lagging behind! :cry The clinic I used hasn't been very helpful, so I am wondering where other people were at 2 weeks post op?

Thanks!

Hi Kero,

I am one week post op and like you I had a hernia repair. Recover has been very hard for me and ver discouraging...I did speak to my doctor over the weekend..he told me that there is extra swelling due to the hernia repair..but I discovered this morning that I had an extra 3 cc's of Fluid in my band since the surgery...I went today and got the Fluid taken out...there is some releif...maybe ask if any fluid was left in your band and see how that works out.

I'm feeling about the same. I remember reading about how quickly I would get back on my feet but it hasn't happened. There was some post from a guy who went back to work the day after surgery. I had my first surgery on the 2nd of august and then a redo 4 days later. I managed to aspirate some stomach contents into my lungs and now have a fever I can't get rid of. I had to call today and get a refill on my pain meds. I'm supposed to go back to work next week but hope things get better quick so I can. I fortunately don't feel any nausea but have so little energy. I have never watched so much lame tv in my life. I am lucky to have a supportive wife and kids. I keep trying to remind myself that it will pay off in the end. I'm going to just keep on doing what I'm supposed to.

rick

Glad to hear I'm not the only one post-op and not up and about as soon as others. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong.

Well actually not glad that you feel like me.. :paranoid but felt good to be validated....

I had surgery on Monday. I have gained a lb. since.. Have not had a bowel movement since. Started getting gas pain this morning..stomach is talking.. but from pain.not food. I THINK :omg:.. who knows. I barely eat anything.

I have terrible searing pain on my right side most of the time. Only helps when I sit. And certain positions when I walk.. I feel like my muscle is ripping.

I'm getting sick of clear broth.. thinned fruit juice... Water... broth.... had maybe 1/8 cup of proteing shake today. but w/ gas and Constipation scared to have more cuz then I get pressure in chest.

Not sure how much eating.. scuse me. I mean sipping is considered too much...

:sick :Banane20: :angry :Banane20: :cry :) :paranoid :tired :think :speechles :phanvan

NOt happy and BORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey gang! First, congrats on being banded!!! It is an awesome journey. Second, I want to say try not to compare yourselves w/others regarding your recovery. You are doing great listening to your bodies and your docs. Just continue to get up and walk and sip and you'll be fine.

Some of us recover very quickly. I am one of those. But, that's just me. It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong at all. You're gonna feel a bit nauseated and bloated, but that's normal, too. Most likely, the nausea is coming from anesthesia in your system and probably your pain meds. Pain meds will also cause Constipation.< /p>

Also, you may have a prego-looking belly for a couple of weeks, too. I did. Just an FYI. This comes from the gas they blow your stomach up w/during surgery.

As for how much to eat (drink), my dietician told me to sip from the moment I woke up until I went to bed. That's pretty much all you can do at this point. I was sipping on my Protein drink, Water, and Crystal Light.

I hope this helps!!!

Recovery differs for everyone. I had to do liquids for two weeks post op. Moving and walking post-op as much as possible will help disapate the gas. I hope they told you that. Walk, Walk, Walk. Movement helps break apart that hugh air bubble they blew your abdomen up with. Goes from a big bubble to a bunch of smaller ones until they dissapear. Takes lot of movement. Heating pad helps too. If you are not up to par in two weeks or three tops you should see your surgeon.

Clorox123 you need to call your surgeon. Where did they put your port? Right or left side? Hope you are better soon.

Sugarbear,

you SCAREd me till I realized I left one major detail out. Surgeon told me that my stomach muscle was swollen on right side.. (have a rib that snaps out of place constantly) and taht she cut through some nerves... therefore I have the pain and will have it for a few weeks... sighhhhh

but if it's not any better by monday... i'm calling cuz this is ridiculous..

thanks for the heads up

Clorox123, yes, that was a detail.... Was your surgery done laproscopically? Didn't mean to scare you but other than lots of soreness you shouldn't be in that kind of pain especially that far out from surgery. Guess the rib thing can be painful. Hope it all goes well. Have you been back for post op check-up. Never said if your port is on right or left side. Take care. This should pass soon. Welcome to "BANDLAND!"

I am 4 days out. Feeling pretty good. Had some pain at my port site this morning and took a little of my pain med. Never again! It made me so nauseous! Now I have a huge headache and I'm dead tired. Other than that, it's going well. Been sipping all day and walking as much as I can bear. I am hungry now, though. Maybe that's the cost of feeling better so soon after surgery!

Hi all - thanks for all the replies. It has been 25 days now and I am feeling much better, and much more optimistic. I am glad to hear I wasn't the only one not up and running a marathon in the first 2 weeks! I still have alot of port pain, but only if I press on it - and have been feeling okay, except for the day I ate some broccolli - I wouldn't recommend it. I guess I need to accept that I can't eat everything I did before, and for he most part I don't want to, which is good - just didn't think that broccolli would have me up all night screaching in pain - oh well, live and learn. I hope others are coming along as well. Now I get to enter the scary 'first fill' phase of my journey....... we'll see how that goes, most importantly - I am down 21 pounds and counting. Yey!

Day five for me.

My gas pain is much better!

I'm still bloated and my weight hasn't changed yet.

I get this pressure on my chest and port site from time to time.

I was running a slight fever 100.2 two days ago.

Every now and than it feels like I'm coming down with a cold but it wont completely set in.

I'm still on liquids and trying to be creative as possible!

Is tomatoe Soup with basil and paemesean cheese bad?

I had it for dinner yesterday.

Sometimes I'm a little hungry and other days I dont think about it.

My port site is still a bit sore.

Why haven't I lost weight yet?

Day five for me.

My gas pain is much better!

I'm still bloated and my weight hasn't changed yet.

I get this pressure on my chest and port site from time to time.

I was running a slight fever 100.2 two days ago.

Every now and than it feels like I'm coming down with a cold but it wont completely set in.

I'm still on liquids and trying to be creative as possible!

Is tomatoe Soup with basil and paemesean cheese bad?

I had it for dinner yesterday.

Sometimes I'm a little hungry and other days I dont think about it.

My port site is still a bit sore.

Why haven't I lost weight yet?

Lawanda, congrats on being banded!!! I know for me it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. As for the bloating, you may be bloated for a couple weeks. I know I was. During the surgery, they blow your stomach up w/gas to have easy access to e'thing. I just had to keep walking to get rid of the prego belly. As for the wt loss, don't worry about it at this stage. This time is for healing. The wt loss will definitely come. Remember, you have been pumped w/IV fluids, gas, and anesthesia. All of this may be keeping wt on you. Trust me, the wt loss will come. And your port incision is usually the most tender of all. It will be tender for a while. I know mine is still a little tender and I'm a month out.

And no, the Tomato Soup you had isn't bad. You're doing great!