Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't shoot the messenger- carbonated drinks

Hi all! I'm simply putting this out there to see what YOUR experience has been- not for a thorough lambasting!

Regarding carbonated beverages ( non-alcoholic)- on my NUT list it clearly states no carbonated beverages. I asked her about this. We have a very good report and she knows I'm ridiculously compliant. However, I have always been a Diet Coke fanatic. I asked her why it was forbidden. (Keep in mind I'm dealing with a HUGE top rated health care system, some of the best bariatrics in the states- so I really value their knowledge and opinion.)

Her reply was this- MOST patients are not compliant. If you give them an inch, they take a foot. And then they get into trouble. An occasional Diet Coke turns easily into a three can a day addiction. Sometimes people go all the way over and start drinking "regular" pop. However, there really isn't any solid evidence that carbonated beverages ON OCCASION do any harm to your new stomach.

This was MY experience- what has yours been? I will say that YES I have had a few Diet Cokes since my surgery. However, where I once would have downed the thing in an hour, I only had 5 or 6 sips and that was enough for me to "taste" my old friend

Hi Lisa,

I too have had a few sips of Diet Coke & it was great, but the bubbles crept back up and it was just too hard lol I also burp enough already without adding to the cause.

My Nutritionist said I can have it occasionally if I choose.

I'll have a sip every now & then...it will never compare to my old habit of 3 cans a day :)

My nutritionists keep saying the same thing....over and over about diet sodas. "No Greg, you can't have them".

I asked my surgeon about the matter during my 6 month post-op appointment. He told me to have at 'em so long as my sleeve agreed with them.

Just hearing that I could was enough for me. I've yet to try one, though. I am happy with my coffee and Water and occasional tea.

Two of the most successful wls people that I know.....both have been at their maintenance weight for years.....both drink a real soda....one likes real Mountain Dew and the other likes real Cokes.

They each drink a very small amount....no more than one a day, but they sip on them throughout the day. Again.....I stress....both of these ladies have achieved their weight goals years ago and have been living that way ever since. Looking at them you'd never know they had wls. Never.

I've come to a certain level of understanding concerning my nutritionists rulings on things.....they are always gonna give the safe advice and promote the generic advice they give to every single patient. They are consistent if nothing else. The two in my current program suck outright at one-on-one advice so far. The nutritionist in first bariatric program I started with last year was much more thorough and everything was one-on-one and customized to my needs and goals.

My surgeon, though, is all about me as a patient and focuses on where I am....not where a group of us are.

There are folks at all degrees along their weight loss process on here. They advise all sorts of strategies to gain advantage over their weight loss endeavors. It's all about finding what works for you and finding the daily pleasures that you enjoy and can do so without adverse impact to your health.

I'm sure I'll knock back a Diet Dew at some point.....but for now I'm content just knowing that it's been okay'd by my surgeon. It's just not something that I yearn for like I did in the past. Pre-op found me killing those things in silly quantities.

It's been a fun process....learning about myself all throughout. Some of the discoveries are funny.....some scared the crap outa me....some just leave me wondering what the hell was I thinking.........

Thanks! I've found your posts very well thought out on this forum. I completely agree with you. I find myself fortunate in a couple of instances-

First, my nutritionist is extremely thorough, and for the rest of my life my Bariatric program allows me monthly access to her one on one. That is huge for me- I've run across others who see them pre op and then only a couple times post op. That's it. Anything beyond that is "not included".

Secondly, where she gives "blanket" advise, she always takes it a step further to tailor it to me. I'm sure she does this for all her people. She weighs strengths and weaknesses and adjusts accordingly. Case in point- during preop diet, it was 4 shakes a day, and raw non starchy veggies as needed to help you "fill up" and get the crunch crave met. Unfortunately, there are certain veggies like broccoli and cauliflower I like warmed up. Not soggy, but a bit cooked. When I queried her in this, she ok'd me to go ahead and steam as I pleased. Her rationale for requiring only raw was that many patients would cook, add butter, or perhaps purchase the frozen bags with sauces. Being compliant, she wasn't worried about me. ( Besides, I've always preferred my veggies "undressed")

Thanks for your input!

I drink soda quite often. Not a lot at a time, half a glass that I will sip on. I generally shake it a bit first to get out some bubbles. But it doesn't bother me

You ran it by docs, hell, guzzle away! (occasionally...) yeah, as long as we're losing the weight, healthy etc