Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st post - Hi all. I am Lorraine, I should be having surgery in the next month. I was advised to find a tolerable Protein shake about now. I have thyroid cancer history and was looking for recommendations on a good tasting Protein Shake that is SOY-FREE that is between 150-170 calories, 3 grams or less of fat and 20-30 grams of Protein per 8 oz. serving. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

I don't know about soy free, but in addition to Premier Protein, check out GNC Lean shake 25, Syntrax Nectar, ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates, Quest, and muscle milk. If possible, see if you can get samples or single-serve packs or bottles before you invest in a case or tubs.

Thank you both for the responses. I just ordered from Amazon the premier only $7 and change for 4 - 11 oz. containers. After surgery , each one should last a full day. If i spend $ 14 a week on food, that's cheap compared to what i regularly spend. I have read many lime the taste of premeir before and after surgery. I purchased both the chocolate and vanilla and i have EAS powder here in the house. I think i am pretty well set up for my first two weeks. Any other suggestions of what i may need?

Thank you both for the responses. I just ordered from Amazon the premier only $7 and change for 4 - 11 oz. containers. After surgery , each one should last a full day. If i spend $ 14 a week on food, that's cheap compared to what i regularly spend. I have read many lime the taste of premeir before and after surgery. I purchased both the chocolate and vanilla and i have EAS powder here in the house. I think i am pretty well set up for my first two weeks. Any other suggestions of what i may need?

Depending on your Protein target you will need more than one Premier Protein a day immediately after surgery. My Protein target is 100 grams so I needed at least 3 premier Proteins (for a total of 90 grams protein and 33 ounces of fluid) starting the day after surgery. My surgeon said that there is no physical reason anyone shouldn't be able to drink three premier Proteins in a day.

Depending on your Protein target you will need more than one Premier Protein a day immediately after surgery. My Protein target is 100 grams so I needed at least 3 premier Proteins (for a total of 90 grams protein and 33 ounces of fluid) starting the day after surgery. My surgeon said that there is no physical reason anyone shouldn't be able to drink three premier Proteins in a day.
I was told with Water intake i am lucky if i get 2-3 oz in per meal; at least the first week after surgery. I guess, i will just wait and see what my body can handle. I am so glad i found this group. It's nice to have others going thru the same thing. Thanks for your response.

I was told with Water intake i am lucky if i get 2-3 oz in per meal; at least the first week after surgery. I guess, i will just wait and see what my body can handle. I am so glad i found this group. It's nice to have others going thru the same thing. Thanks for your response.

The first few weeks after surgery I didn't really have "meals", I just sipped something all day until I met my targets (which early out meant taking a Premier Protein shake to bed and not turning out the light to go to sleep until I finished it). It truly is a full time job for a few weeks to get in all the protein and fluids but I really believe that it was the most important reason I had such an easy recovery and successful weight loss.

Keep in mind Premier Protein shakes are not 100% whey Protein. And that is what you want and need. My docs and nutritionist abhor Premier and tell their patients NOT to use it. The protein is not as pure. Look for one that is 100% and not a mixture or protein blend as first ingredient. Bariatric fusion makes a wonderful good tasting product and you can order a sampler pack of all flavors in individual serving sizes for about $20

You can also go to Vitamin shoppe and they sell Syntrax nectar powder as well as J Robb and you can grab a ton of individual packets before you commit to the big tubs!

Keep in mind Premier Protein shakes are not 100% whey Protein. And that is what you want and need. My docs and nutritionist abhor Premier and tell their patients NOT to use it. The protein is not as pure. Look for one that is 100% and not a mixture or protein blend as first ingredient. Bariatric fusion makes a wonderful good tasting product and you can order a sampler pack of all flavors in individual serving sizes for about $20

You can also go to Vitamin shoppe and they sell Syntrax nectar powder as well as J Robb and you can grab a ton of individual packets before you commit to the big tubs!

Funny, because my surgeon specifically recommended premier.

The first few weeks after surgery I didn't really have "meals", I just sipped something all day until I met my targets (which early out meant taking a premier Protein shake to bed and not turning out the light to go to sleep until I finished it). It truly is a full time job for a few weeks to get in all the protein and fluids but I really believe that it was the most important reason I had such an easy recovery and successful weight loss.
I don't even think i will be able to sleep in my bed for a few weeks. I think i will be bound the recliner. When i had my gall bladder taken out 10+ years ago it took weeks before i could sleep in bed. I will keep my shake on the table next to me and keep sipping. Thank you.

Funny, because my surgeon specifically recommended premier.
My surgeon and nutritionist recommended EAS, but said to pick which ever one i can tolerate the taste of, so long as it was between 150-170 calories, less than 3g of fat and between 20-30g of protein for 8 oz. I purchased the EAS but because of thyroid cancer history and treatment, i am to have soy in moderation or not at all. It has been extremely difficult finding soy free that fits my nutritional requirements. The Premeir my best choice.

I got Quest at GNC I got a member card and buy it when you can do the buy one get one half off my surgeon also told me about premier that's the most popular one you can get I buy them by the case at SAMs club

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App