Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG & autoimmune diseases?

Is anyone out there suffering from an autoimmune disease? If so, has the disease affected your weight loss journey? How so?

I have a genetic autoimmune disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis. My overactive immune system attacks my spine, large joints, and eyes among other things. I got this surgery because of AS. I know it won't cure my AS, but I welcome any measure that will reduce the pressure on my spine.

Ways my weight loss journey has been affected: AS causes chronic fatigue. Couple that with the fatigue we all feel following WLS, and it's a bear. I'm limited to two forms of exercise: walking and swimming. No weight training. Since muscle burns fat, that's a bummer.

But I'm still hopeful. I've lost 36 lbs (pre op and post op combined, height 5'1, surgery Feb 25). I'm at a stall at the moment, and I would love to hit the gym with gusto. My body and mind/will are not in sync.

I would love to hear from those with similar battles. Tell me all of this gets better? :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Well, I have Ménière's disease. I was diagnosed at 17, I'm now 37. It affects the middle ear and causes extreme bouts of vertigo. In fact, I was deemed disabled 9 years ago because of it. My WLS can alleviate the results of the falls due to sudden vertigo, as at 350lbs falling usually resulted in broken bones or fractures. Now, very recently, I was diagnosed with alopecia. My eyebrows went missing overnight!! These are both considered auto immune diseases. I've fought so hard to have this surgery to feel somewhat normal/accepted and yet the battle goes on, albeit a different battle but nevertheless a battle. Good luck!!

@@UalreadyKnow I'm sorry to hear about your struggles with these illnesses. I've fallen down the stairs in my home, in the grocery store--just randomly when my knees give out. My eyelashes fell out. All autoimmune related. I find that autoimmune diseases can and do overlap. I understand the need to feel normal: a normal weight and, in my case anyway, as able-bodied as possible. Good luck to you in your battle!

Thank you @@gingeryank same to you love!! Although I'm in no way happy that you have similar illnesses, I'm certainly glad you shared your story!! Thank you again!

It will be interesting to see if there are others like us. I know that I don't like being defined by my disability, but it sure would be nice to be part of a sub-community of folks going through similar struggles. Feel free to PM me anytime!

Edited by gingeryank

I probably have sclerosing mesenteritis. I say probably because they would have to biopsy my lymph nodes deep in my belly to find out for sure and that has been more risk than benefit.

I just had surgery so some things I do not know - but my weight loss has been good just from walking. I love to swim but don't have access in the winter/spring.

As for weight training, see if there are any yoga poses you can do - use your body. you can probably manage 5 wall push ups which are easier on you than a regular push up - get creative! just do what you can and I am sure it will help.

@@Christinamo7 that's a new one for me. What symptoms do you struggle with?

I'm glad walking is working for you. Someone mentioned something called restorative yoga. It's supposed to be good for AS patients. I'd like to try yoga. I always felt out of place in yoga classes (mental thing).

it was found when I was trying to prepare for surgery with a high WBC. I had stabbing pains in my belly, some swelling in my belly. PET scans and cat scans showed "stranding" in the tissue that holds my small intestine in place. mostly belly pain, fatigue and diarrhea were the symptoms I was dealing with.

It was either an infection (ruled out) or cancer (probably ruled out) or most likely the sclerosing mesenteritis.

I finally got symptoms under control enough to get one normal WBC so they went ahead with my sleeve, but I will have a cat scan again in July as they will continue to watch me closer.

check out Peggy Cappy's yoga for the rest of us. she makes people feel more comfortable and always has three examples, one easy, one normal and one advanced so it is easy to follow along.

Edited by Christinamo7

Ouch. Sorry you had to go through that. Glad you were able to get the surgery. Just looked up Peggy Cappy. Her DVDs are affordable. I might check out the one for Arthritis. Thanks for the tip!

I have ulcerative colitis and am getting the VSG. My GI doc is hoping that losing a good amount of weight will help me better control my disease. I am on Remicade for treatment of my UC. My surgeon wasn't too excited about that but he has collaborated with my GI doc to come up with a plan. My surgery will be 4-6 weeks after an infusion and I won't be able to have another infusion until 4-6 weeks after surgery. I just hope I don't flare up! A lot of my weight gain came from using steroids a lot of the last 5 years. My surgery will be sometime in the next couple months!

@@shrinkingkimber I had to hold my Cimzia injections 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after. My surgeon wasn't happy either because of the higher risk involved. But everything turned out fine. Btw, I'm going to Remicade next if I fail Cimzia. I've already failed Humira. A lot of my weight gain also came from steroids. Good luck on your surgery! :)

@@shrinkingkimber I had to hold my Cimzia injections 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after. My surgeon wasn't happy either because of the higher risk involved. But everything turned out fine. Btw, I'm going to Remicade next if I fail Cimzia. I've already failed Humira. A lot of my weight gain also came from steroids. Good luck on your surgery! :)

I'm so glad to read everything went well! Thank you for your kind words! I found out my surgery will most likely be on June 9th!

Hi, I have a neurological disorder called CRPS and I have been really hit hard with pain since 2011. The pain in my feet had doctors increase medications which resulted in a 50+ pound weight gain. I know I am so lucky to be in a position to slow down, not work and focus on aggressive treatments but the extra pounds were really causing the pain in my feet worse. I had elevated blood pressure and sleep apnea. Happy to say that after my surgery on Mar 29, Mt apnea and blood pressure have normalized. Too soon to tell how much of my chronic pain will be affected but just loosing weight alone will be a huge start!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

@@littlered12973 I've been on sick leave since January--also to focus on aggressive treatments, some of which caused a considerable amount of my weight gain. I'm so glad your blood pressure and sleep apnea have normalized! That's quick if your surgery was only on Mar 29. My BP has normalized, too, and my surgery was on Feb 25. I can tell you, being 6 weeks out, that the weight loss has had a significant impact on my chronic pain. WLS has been the best AS "treatment" I've had thus far. I hope the same is true for you and your condition. Good luck!