Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thiamine (Vit. B-1) supplement question

Blood work shows that I'm low on thiamine. My doctor told me to take 100mg daily.

I'm wondering if there is more than one type and if one is better than the other(s) in terms of efficient absorption, et al. The question occurs to me because of the existence of calcium citrate and Calcium carbonate supplements, the former being better.

Love to hear from someone knowledgeable. I've done some googling to no avail. Thanks.

They gave me a shot of it at my first post surgical visit. Hurt like heck, but happy to not have to add another pill!

@@Inner Surfer Girl@DaisyAmy@@Cervidae

I posted the question in SparkPeople.com. The RD who works for the site came back with this info that you may want to know:

Most thiamin supplements contain either

thiamin mononitrate or

thiamin hydrochloride.

Both are very stable and Water soluble.

For more information, go to the Office of Dietary Supplements: http://ods.od.nih.govsearch.aspx?zoom_query=thiamin

Then select either or both fact sheets, consumer or professional.

Beside dosage info, there's much interesting material. My doctor (first time seeing her, a neurologist) told me to supplement because of lingering dizziness/headache/effects from a concussion I sustained last May. The fact sheets don't mention concussion, but they do refer to dizziness, confusion and the like. The doctor also told me to cut out Vit. D for the same reason. The blood work showed a high number, so I'll shop for a Calcium without the D.

I give IM shots every month. B12 & B1. I have oral problems, so would you be looking at something else?

@@swimbikerun

It has to do with dizziness and fuzzy-headedness. The doctor said that my low B1 and high D levels may be contributing factors.

I didn't see mention of "oral problems" in the NIH link. Please explain.

P.S. I spent many years going to Great Bridge a few times a year, but that ended nearly 20 years back.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@swimbikerun

It has to do with dizziness and fuzzy-headedness. The doctor said that my low B1 and high D levels may be contributing factors.

I didn't see mention of "oral problems" in the NIH link. Please explain.

P.S. I spent many years going to Great Bridge a few times a year, but that ended nearly 20 years back.

That makes sense. My eyes tracking funny, dizziness, fuzzy stuff, all has to do with low B1 but I have other Vitamins that tank also. How do you manage high D? I envy you. I envy you a lot.

No, the oral problems are mine. I have GI track issues, getting down pills can be an adventure or hit and miss sometimes. Its not really funny when its your thyroid medication you've having problems with. That's why its easier to go for shots (or a midline when I get in major trouble).

You are lucky. Great Bridge can be a horror to get too. Lots of traffic and they put the toll road in.

@@swimbikerun

If you take synthroid, then it isn't funny that you have trouble getting it down. It's so tiny.

No idea how my D went high. My guess is humiliating to report here, but... shoot. Even though it's Calcium carbonate, I'd been taking a store's private label version of Viactiv chocolate chews w/vit D. For years I was sane, one in the early part of the day, the other later on. Then in the past year, I'd eat the whole container in a few days. They're like tiny tootsie rolls, one of only two childhood candies that still taste good to me. I've been unable to control the craziness, so have stopped buying the chews.

A number of years ago I was tested so low that I was in debt. I took a high dose then for a while.

I'd fly to Norfolk for my G.B. visits. I suppose the toll road was put in after I stopped going, as I don't recall such a thing. Unless you mean a road that bypassed the business areas? That existed and was fairly new, I think, near the end of my visits. I don't recall a toll, though. Wasn't a replacement for the Great Bridge bridge built about 25 feet from the original? That, too, was after my time. My nieces went to Crestwood Jr High and Great Bridge High..

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

@@swimbikerun

If you take synthroid, then it isn't funny that you have trouble getting it down. It's so tiny.

No idea how my D went high. My guess is humiliating to report here, but... shoot. Even though it's Calcium carbonate, I'd been taking a store's private label version of Viactiv chocolate chews w/vit D. For years I was sane, one in the early part of the day, the other later on. Then in the past year, I'd eat the whole container in a few days. They're like tiny tootsie rolls, one of only two childhood candies that still taste good to me. I've been unable to control the craziness, so have stopped buying the chews.

A number of years ago I was tested so low that I was in debt. I took a high dose then for a while.

I'd fly to Norfolk for my G.B. visits. I suppose the toll road was put in after I stopped going, as I don't recall such a thing. Unless you mean a road that bypassed the business areas? That existed and was fairly new, I think, near the end of my visits. I don't recall a toll, though. Wasn't a replacement for the Great Bridge bridge built about 25 feet from the original? That, too, was after my time. My nieces went to Crestwood Jr High and Great Bridge High..

I don't have a problem with that. I mean I can understand that and sympathize. Its definitely better than eating too many McDonald French Fries.

Yes, the toll road that bypassed Battlefield. The replacement is now a 4 laner that is just as much as issue. LOL.

Privately educated here. We, our church, etc. tend to be more homeschooler and the like.

Oh yeah Thiamine totally a must have for me. After short term memory loss post surgery I was on a prescription Thiamine for a month. Since then I've been taking an over the counter pill capsule thiamine suppliments I got from the Vitamin Shoppe. I've been doing it for the last 6 months or so and I indeed notice the difference. Memory has improved greatly and I'm able to focus and concentrate more now.

Sent from my SM-N910P using the BariatricPal App

post-245068-1457806054945_thumb.jpg

That's what my bottle of over the counter Thiamin looks like.

Oh yeah Thiamine totally a must have for me. After short term memory loss post surgery I was on a prescription Thiamine for a month. Since then I've been taking an over the counter pill capsule thiamine suppliments I got from the Vitamin Shoppe. I've been doing it for the last 6 months or so and I indeed notice the difference. Memory has improved greatly and I'm able to focus and concentrate more now.

Sadly I'm starting to see that also.

Sadly I'm starting to see that also.

I would strongly suggest contacting your doctor asap for issues with memory and then look at getting on suppliments. And if they say thiamin then get on them.