Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:hungry:My lap band surgery is August 13. I was suppose to start my pre-op diet Monday and I was traveling back from Fla. I ate lunch and nothing else. Tuesday I did my admitting (upper Gi, EKG etc). When I left at 2:00 I was so hungry I stopped and got a huge salad. Today I drank my Protein Drink and I want SOMETHING to eat. I am suppose to have 2 Protein Drinks and 1 Healthy Choice. Can I eat celery, carrrots, tuna to get me through?

Please help me.:help:

When I did my pre-op diet I too struggled with being hungry so I chose to have a slim-fast at 8, 12, 4, 8. on day 1, 3, 5, etc. Then on the other days I'd have a slim-fast at 8, 12, 4, and a salad after 6 or so.

If I did not have 4 slim fasts then I'd die of hungar. For some reason the 4 meals helped me feel more full and drink as much Water or crystal light as you possibly can- this will also help with the hungar.

I'm not an expert but if you can break the snacking/munching habbit now- it will make it much easier after the band. I'm 8 weeks post op and I eat four smaller meals a day and it seems to do much better for me.

Guest ZenGarden

Aww, I feel for you guys. I was lucky in that my surgeon did not require any pre-op diet. My suggestion is just to drink fluids in between your 'meals' to try and keep your tummy satisfied.

Best of luck and congrats on surgery!

I don't see why you couldn't have those things you mentioned. Carrots are high in carbs though, and carbs set off the hungry feeling. tuna is Protein, and protein stops hunger. I 'd skip the carrots and eat the tuna and green Beans or brocolli.

I get banded on August 13, too! Only 11 days to go! I am on a 2 week clear liquid diet. I do get 1 glass of OJ and V8 per day. No food in any way, shape or form. I have to get 30 grams of Protein a day through a whey or soy Protein isolate. No milky based drinks. Talk about hungry! This is day 4, and it is rough. I have not cheated. This is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. I weighed myself this morning, lost 5 pounds in 3 days. Watching the scale is worth it, plus my doctor will see that I am following his orders. This diet shrinks the liver so that it is easier for him to to get around inside me during surgery. My only suggestion for you, follow your doctor's orders, and you cannot go wrong!

Good luck!!!!!

Hey, are you a CRAZY ATE??? I AM!!!!!!!!!

OK! I TOTALLLYYY feel for you! I'm also getting banded August 13th. I am FALLING apart and ready to throw in the tile from this liquid diet. I think i'm dehydrated. I'm on an all liquid diet and in my opinion it's barbaric!!

There has GOT to be a better way to shrink the liver. I can eat some veggies, but I'm not enjoying it...

I also lost 5 lbs. in 3 days. but i'm feeling like -----.:cry:cry:cry:cry

this morning i literally feel like (fainting):faint:

It doesn't help that I got a period from hell... I had to bring it on as I didn't have my period for almost a year. I took medication and should've gotten it over 2 weeks ago. Instead I got blessed with it this Monday the first day of the barbaric diet.

There has GOT to be a better way to shrink the liver... lol.. any ideas? ways around it??

Good luck!

Laurel

lap band 8/13

Guest ZenGarden

I get banded on August 13, too! Only 11 days to go! I am on a 2 week clear liquid diet. I do get 1 glass of OJ and V8 per day. No food in any way, shape or form. I have to get 30 grams of Protein a day through a whey or soy Protein isolate. No milky based drinks. Talk about hungry! This is day 4, and it is rough. I have not cheated. This is one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life. I weighed myself this morning, lost 5 pounds in 3 days. Watching the scale is worth it, plus my doctor will see that I am following his orders. This diet shrinks the liver so that it is easier for him to to get around inside me during surgery. My only suggestion for you, follow your doctor's orders, and you cannot go wrong!

Good luck!!!!!

Hey, are you a CRAZY ATE??? I AM!!!!!!!!!

Hey Lori,

Why no milk products? Are you lactose intolerant? I lived on skim milk and EAS AdvantEDGE carb control shakes for two weeks post-op...I wouldn't have made it without milk

Best of luck to you guys!!

Hi! I am so glad i did not have to do a pre-op diet. I went to Mexico to Dr Zapata and he did not make me do that. I am sure it must be hard. I have fallen in love with sugar free choc pudding by Jello. If you need a treat it is great and only 60 cal. for the little cup it comes in. Donna

I am also being banded on Aug. 13 and I feel bad for you guys. I do not have to be on liquids until the day before.

we will have to keep in touch to see how we are doing.

Val

Lorsbander, Hi there! You and I started at 232 lbs. and are both at 215 lbs. I had my Lapband surgery on 7/24/07 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I have been on a high-protein food supplement supplied to me by my doctor since 7/13/07. Tomorrow 8/03 I see my surgeon and dietician. Will finally be able to eat real food. I am looking forward to eating cottage cheese, applesauce, Jello sugar free pudding, tuna. I am 5'7" tall, started at 232 lbs. and my goal weight is 140 lbs. Isn't it exciting to be losing weight!?! I bought a pair a khaki pants for work 5 weeks ago and now I don't fit in them. (Will be taking them in. - save money). Wish you well. Debra

<p>My Dr only required a liquid diet on day prior to surgery. Since the anethesia basically totally relaxes your muscles you do not want any solid food in your digestive system or you could get really really sick reason for the liquid diet. I was banded 07/10 and am down 28 lbs so far. Followed a liquid diet for 2 weeks post surgery...no on pureed foods for 2 weeks then mushy foods then real foods. Doing ok on bad days when I want to eat emotionally I found some sugar free dove dark chocolate treats....so far indulged 3 times in 4 weeks.</p>

Hey Lori,

Why no milk products? Are you lactose intolerant? I lived on skim milk and EAS AdvantEDGE carb control shakes for two weeks post-op...I wouldn't have made it without milk :)

Best of luck to you guys!!

My doc doesn't want us to have the fat. He orders a clear liquid diet to rid the liver of excess fat. It shrinks it and makes it easier to get around to do surgery. He said some people's livers are huge and full of fat- it can make their livers hard. It is possible to "crack" the liver if moved around in this state. So, I will follow the diet- whatever he wants me to do. If it makes the surgery easier and safer for him- that's the ticket! This leads to better results and less complications. :D

Lorsbander, Hi there! You and I started at 232 lbs. and are both at 215 lbs. I had my Lapband surgery on 7/24/07 in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I have been on a high-protein food supplement supplied to me by my doctor since 7/13/07. Tomorrow 8/03 I see my surgeon and dietician. Will finally be able to eat real food. I am looking forward to eating cottage cheese, applesauce, Jello sugar free pudding, tuna. I am 5'7" tall, started at 232 lbs. and my goal weight is 140 lbs. Isn't it exciting to be losing weight!?! I bought a pair a khaki pants for work 5 weeks ago and now I don't fit in them. (Will be taking them in. - save money). Wish you well. Debra

Hi, Debra! :clap2: I love losing weight, too. (I hate the liquid diet, though!) I am from Iowa! I am 5'2" and my goal is 130. I get banded on the 13th. Can't wait! Best of luck to ya!!!