Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

38 BMI and only 75 to lose

Hi! Is there anyone else out there that doesn't have a lot of weight to lose? I am only 5' and weigh 197 right now. I've lost some since starting out and was planning to get the sleeve all along until yesterday at my 4th visit and my PA informed me about my scope results. She said I have some reflux (which I had no idea) and I have the start of barrets esophagus so she is stating I will most likely need bypass instead.

Anyone else out there in the same or close situation as me?

I just had the sleeve done 17 days ago.i have about 60 lbs to lose my bmi was barely 35...i have high blood pressure so it was a breeze to get quiified. I went to one dr and they qualified me but ended up going to a Dr at UCI..a suggestion from my support nurse at Blue Cross Boeing..the surgery was easy.no pain meds after I left the hospital..no problems ..i have lost 18 lbs so far again 17 days after surgery.i will tell you.follow the diet the nutritionist gives you.drink lots of Water slowly. And walk walk walk.this helps weightloss and healing and gets you outside or off the couch if you live in the cold....You will be fine..alot of it is mind over matter.i went into this very possitively.said I was not gonna have problems and I didnt.. i had a wonderful team of Dr's and a great staff helping me...

I had the sleeve done back in 2011. do your research if you have reflux. I am about to go in for revision surgery to RNY because due to the sleeve I now have severe gerds. I've been suffering from it for the past 5 years. Make sure you research each surgery. I think I read that if you suffer from acid reflux you should not get the sleeve. since coming back on here I have noticed a lot of people being revised from sleeve to RNY.

Hi, yes I also have Barrets, pretty scary stuff when you read up on it so it's great that they found it. I have also seen an article praising the benefits of RNY in patients with GERD and Barrets .

So I think the Bypass may be our best option.

@@claddagh66

When I started the process I was planning on the sleeve. I suffered from very severe Gerd in which I coughed everyday for over a year. The acid was so bad that it actually made me cough like that and nothing resolved it. They had me on the max dose of nexium and no where to go.

When I saw the surgeon he recommended bypass instead of sleeve. I did a ton of research and ended up getting the bypass.

I am so very glad I did. It cured my reflux completely. They had me take nexium for the first 30 days following surgery and then stopped it. I have never had even the slightest bit of heartburn and I am down 141lbs, less than 5lbs from goal.

It also resolved many other medical issues for me including diabetes, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and anemia.

Don't be afraid of bypass, it works!

Thank you so much for the insight and sharing your story. Sounds like you made the right choice for you. Good luck to you!

I just had the sleeve done 17 days ago.i have about 60 lbs to lose my bmi was barely 35...i have high blood pressure so it was a breeze to get quiified. I went to one dr and they qualified me but ended up going to a Dr at UCI..a suggestion from my support nurse at Blue Cross Boeing..the surgery was easy.no pain meds after I left the hospital..no problems ..i have lost 18 lbs so far again 17 days after surgery.i will tell you.follow the diet the nutritionist gives you.drink lots of Water slowly. And walk walk walk.this helps weightloss and healing and gets you outside or off the couch if you live in the cold....You will be fine..alot of it is mind over matter.i went into this very possitively.said I was not gonna have problems and I didnt.. i had a wonderful team of Dr's and a great staff helping me...

Hi losetobemeagain! Thanks so much for your story. I'm sorry you are having difficulty. It seems as if you don't have this problem prior you can get it and if you have it prior your better off not getting the sleeve. Maybe you are right and I should just go the bypass way. I too have read about alot of revisions. I'm sorry you have to be one of them. Good luck to you and please keep me posted on your update! I'd love to hear how your doing

I had the sleeve done back in 2011. do your research if you have reflux. I am about to go in for revision surgery to RNY because due to the sleeve I now have severe gerds. I've been suffering from it for the past 5 years. Make sure you research each surgery. I think I read that if you suffer from acid reflux you should not get the sleeve. since coming back on here I have noticed a lot of people being revised from sleeve to RNY.

Thanks so much justright66! I'm thinking so too! Sounds like the smartest move. I was shocked when I got my report. I have no symptoms! Have you had the procedure yet yourself?

Hi, yes I also have Barrets, pretty scary stuff when you read up on it so it's great that they found it. I have also seen an article praising the benefits of RNY in patients with GERD and Barrets .

So I think the Bypass may be our best option.

I absolutely love your story! You are a whole new person because of this surgery! Yay for you!!! And congrats on your almost goal weight loss! So exciting! I can't believe it helped you this much! I will definitely look more into this procedure. Unlike you, I don't have symptoms. At all! I was shocked when she told me the news. I mean there are moments I take a tums but nothing to complain about. I do have the start of Barrets esophagus and that really concerns me. Thank you so much for sharing your story with me!

@@claddagh66

When I started the process I was planning on the sleeve. I suffered from very severe Gerd in which I coughed everyday for over a year. The acid was so bad that it actually made me cough like that and nothing resolved it. They had me on the max dose of nexium and no where to go.

When I saw the surgeon he recommended bypass instead of sleeve. I did a ton of research and ended up getting the bypass.

I am so very glad I did. It cured my reflux completely. They had me take nexium for the first 30 days following surgery and then stopped it. I have never had even the slightest bit of heartburn and I am down 141lbs, less than 5lbs from goal.

It also resolved many other medical issues for me including diabetes, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and anemia.

Don't be afraid of bypass, it works!

Hi i also only have 55 lbs to lose. Bmi is 35 an im 5 2" an weigh 196. I also have barrettes esophagus an cannot have the sleeve bc of the acid reflux. My Q is how much weight will drop in 3 to 4 months. I start on Feb 8 for my pre op diet an surgery is the 29th of feb.

what's a normal wt loss amount on the pre op liquid diet?

Hi i also only have 55 lbs to lose. Bmi is 35 an im 5 2" an weigh 196. I also have barrettes esophagus an cannot have the sleeve bc of the acid reflux. My Q is how much weight will drop in 3 to 4 months. I start on Feb 8 for my pre op diet an surgery is the 29th of feb.

what's a normal wt loss amount on the pre op liquid diet?

Hi there! I went onto a website last night called obesity coverage.com and it allowed me to put in my weight and height. It gave me what I would lose with both bypass and the sleeve. It was pretty cool. Your surgery is coming up!!! So your going to go ahead with the bypass then cause of the Barrett's. I will meet my doc next month. I was hoping for better news myself at this past visit but... Where are you from Loriann?

Hi! Im 50 yrs 5"9 and 220 Id like to get to 160 so that's 60 lbs. I will be getting bypass within the month I hope, no date yet but I'll keep you posted. From what I read I could be at goal by June! So excited! !

Hiya, my BMI is 38 & I'm 106KG (234lb). I'm having bypass due to Type 2 Diabetes & a cardiac condition.

I've lost 6kg since the start of Jan & my surgery is in 2 days time. I'm so scared!

Hi! Im 50 yrs 5"9 and 220 Id like to get to 160 so that's 60 lbs. I will be getting bypass within the month I hope, no date yet but I'll keep you posted. From what I read I could be at goal by June! So excited! !

That's awesome! So exciting to be so close! What made you decide bypass over sleeve?

Well, I had the band placed in November 09 and removed October 15 so this is the last time I want to go through wls. Ive heard of people bypassing the sleeve and I dont want anything but the strongest surgery I can get. I will have to check out that site obesity coverage. Com but I've heard from many sources youll loose more and faster with bypass.