Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this all normal? Post VSG

I just had my surgery on 1/4! During this surgery my gallbladder was removed and a hiatal hernia repaired.

The hospital stay was terrible. A nurse that left me in the bathroom when I was still very much dealing with anesthesia, hallways that were so filled with machines I couldn't get through to walk, and a bunch of other issues.

Anyway, I'm dealing with some things and I thought I'd ask if it's pretty normal after VSG AND GB removal.

I took my 3 oz of shake today fine. Then waited 30 minutes before beginning my Water. I feel like I can drink more than just a sip every few minutes. I can't chug it but I can tell I can drink sip after sip without issue. Is that okay? I was told sip slowly and small sips so I don't know if this will cause an issue at all.

Which brings me to the next, every couple of hours I have to poop! It is loose, watery poop. Is this normal? Should I be concerned about the consistency? I'm worried that as I drink I just need to use the bathroom pretty urgently and I am worried it will dehydrate me because I drink then go.

Pain wise, I'm okay. My largest incision, next to my belly button but slightly above it on the right side, is where I feel the most pain. The pain meds are making me too loopy and I don't feel like I need them anyway.

Anyone care to give me some advice on whether I should contact my surgeon because of the diarrhea?

Sorry for the TMI, I'm sure you've all heard worse!

By the way, my stats are I am 21, 5'4"

Pre Op weight: 266

GW: 160

I will weigh in on Mondays, I don't know what I weight this soon post op!

Being able to drink is fine. It just means your surgeon did meticulous work and you heal well, so there isn't as much stomach swelling/inflammation as some people experience. liquids aren't really restricted by the sleeve itself.

My understanding is that diarrhea is pretty normal. I didn't have it but I know lots of folks do. I don't think it hurts to call the surgeon's office and just see if they have any ideas about resolving it.

Side note -- were you explicitly told to wait 30 minutes to drink Water after drinking a Protein Shake? Because I understand the rationalization for waiting after eating solid (or semi-solid) food, but I really don't know of any reason to wait to drink one type of liquid after drinking another. Not saying your doc is wrong if that is what you were told, but I have seen lots of people on these forums before confused about that, and then when they go back and check they realize that their instructions had to do with waiting after eating, not waiting after drinking a Protein shake.< /p>

Being able to drink is normal. A lot of people experience swelling that makes drinking challenging in the first couple of weeks post-op. You just don't have as much swelling, which is awesome!

Diarrhea is also normal and I think the only cause for concern might be if you become dehydrated because of it. Since you aren't having trouble getting your liquids in, dehydration is less of a risk. But you should call your surgeon if you are concerned. There's no harm in calling if it brings you peace of mind.

Being able to drink is fine. It just means your surgeon did meticulous work and you heal well, so there isn't as much stomach swelling/inflammation as some people experience. Liquids aren't really restricted by the sleeve itself.

My understanding is that diarrhea is pretty normal. I didn't have it but I know lots of folks do. I don't think it hurts to call the surgeon's office and just see if they have any ideas about resolving it.

Side note -- were you explicitly told to wait 30 minutes to drink Water after drinking a Protein shake? Because I understand the rationalization for waiting after eating solid (or semi-solid) food, but I really don't know of any reason to wait to drink one type of liquid after drinking another. Not saying your doc is wrong if that is what you were told, but I have seen lots of people on these forums before confused about that, and then when they go back and check they realize that their instructions had to do with waiting after eating, not waiting after drinking a Protein Shake.< /p>

About the drinking and Protein shake, yep! I was instructed to wait. The bariatric coordinator actually gave me a schedule of when I should "eat" my shake, then the 30 minute wait period, then when I can drink again. And how much I should drink.

She was so strict about sticking to the schedule and it does make sense.

Example; 8-8:30 am; Drink 3 ounces of protein shake

8:30-9 am; NOTHING by mouth

9-12; drink 20 ounces of Water.< /p>

Then it continues like that until 9pm.

I think starting now just helps prepare for when you can have solid food.

I am sorry to hear that the nursing staff treated you badly. Over the decades I have had several surgeries, with hospital care being inconsistent from one to the next. When I had my right knee replaced in 2007, I felt ignored at the hospital. Since I lived alone at the time, and my sister's house had steep stairs, I opted to spend a week in the rehab center of a nursing home.

I had worked at a nursing home once, supervising housekeepers, and saw first hand how people who did not have a sitter or got no visitors, were ignored most of all. So, Since I always take a notebook with me to the hospital, I got it out and started writing. Every time someone came in the room, I wrote down their name and what they said and what they did. I wrote down when meds or therapy was on time and when they weren't.

I wrote down how the food was and what time it came and was it what I ordered. By the second day, a rumor had gotten around that I was a journalist, keeping track of all of this for an eye-witness report on nursing care. (Gee, I wonder who started the rumor....hmmmm)

Ha! By the second day, I was getting everything on time, and people who were grumpy the first day were absolute angels. Everything was on time and staff introduced and explained themselves like they were supposed to do in the first place. Badges that were turned backward the first day were visible the second.

Every time I need to spend time in the hospital, I have a notebook out and start writing everything down. When the staffer can't be so anonymous and must account for everything they do, their job performance improves drastically and quickly.

Hopefully, any time you must return to the hospital, you will get the care you expect. Hugs from Chicago.

Wow Miss Mac that's a good idea. I remembered everyone's names luckily and complained to the highest person I could reach which was the Vice President of Nursing.

I was left alone in the bathroom when I could barely keep my eyes open. My bed was non functional all day Tuesday. My sheets were never changed. I went 20-25 minutes at a time with IV alarms going off and no one would come after I called in... I was 5 feet from the nursing station.

I had a nurse who was sent from heaven clearly, he was amazing. But everyone else was terrible and I'd go hours without the day staff coming in.

I'm glad I won't have to go back there as it is a further hospital and was only chosen because the date was sooner than the local hospital.