Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the board and have found tons of great info, thanks to everyone who posts here.

I have been diag'd w/ a fatty live, does this generally exclude a person from this banding proceedure? I know it more than likely a "DR" decision, however the combined knowledge of this board surley has the answers I seek.

Thanks

I've had a fatty liver for years. Unfortunately it is usually the way with people who are over weight. I doubt it will stop you from being banded, my understanding is that it another reason to be banded.

But your Dr. should very much want you to go on a 1-4 week Protein type diet prior to the surgery to shrink your liver. If you haven't seen a lab band surgery, watch one of the videos. I saw one at a seminar. The liver is very close to where they work. If the fat/size isn't reduced enough, my Dr. says they may have to switch to an open surgery to protect the liver (bleeds easily and they want to avoid it).

You'll be amazed how much weight you lose on the pre-op diet. The diet may be pretty strict, but you will enjoy watching the pounds drop - makes it a bit easier!

My Doc, in Mexico didn't require any preop diet of any kind. In fact the night before surgery we had steak and all the trimmings in Monterrey. He did tell me after surgery I had a fatty liver. I said what do I do able that and he said you just did, you had the surgery. He said it would correct itself with weightloss and better eating habits.

I am scheduled for 7/30/07 and am really scared of being cancelled. I had a two week pre-op diet and just can't manage to stay on it. I am so embarrassed, but I simply can't do it. Hopefully I won't get cancelled.

I cheated on my pre op diet and was truthful and told the doctor, he didnt even say anything!!!!

I then asked how many people did he or the other 5 surgeons in his office have trouble banding. He said only one person and it was a man.

I am not saying cheat but remeber that there are alot of surgeons who dont have you go on any type of pre op diet so if you did cheat just get back on and do your best

melissa

my doc said he would not convert to "open" with lapband if he had difficulty working around the liver. that was motivation enough for me--i did not want to go through to the point of being on the table and NOT being able to complete the surgery because i didn't comply with the pre-op requirements. he's a tough S.O.B. but i am VERY confident in him.

How do you know if you have a fatty liver or not? My doctor is not making me go through any sort of pre-op liquid diet at all. I'm just a little concerned since I'm unsure if my liver will be a problem and I'm scheduled for surgery in less than a week!

How do you know if you have a fatty liver or not? My doctor is not making me go through any sort of pre-op liquid diet at all. I'm just a little concerned since I'm unsure if my liver will be a problem and I'm scheduled for surgery in less than a week!

i am copying (i hope it's okay to do that..?) a post just a bit further down from faithmd....check it out: pjanes54

I also posted this on your duplicate thread:

The theory is that the liver can be shrunk by eating a low calorie, low fat no sugar diet. Several studies have been done to prove this theory. Though some say that any weight loss will help it to shrink.

Many surgeons prefer their patients to do this diet to shrink pre-op because it is easier to retract a smaller liver out of the operative field. The lap band is placed laparascopically through several holes in your belly and then a gas is pumped into it to blow it up so they can see where they are operating. The liver lies over the area that needs to be accessed to place the band. It must be grabbed with an instrument and moved out of the way. If it is big and boggy and fatty, then that does make it a bit harder to move (retract) out of the way. If your liver tears, that's a bad thing. So a smaller liver helps to avoid these problems. I have heard tell that there have been occasions (though I don't know of any personally) where people have either had to be opened up to place the band (though that's really tough as it was not designed for placement via an open incision), or some folks have been woken up and told their liver is too large to safely do the surgery and then they were placed on a longer diet. Again, I don't have any personal experience with either of these scenarios, but that's what we're told can happen.

Some docs do not require a pre-op diet. Usually you will find those docs have been placing the band for a VERY long time and are very skilled at what they are doing, others may just not buy into the liver shrinking theory. Though it was presented at the ASBS (American Society of Bariatric Surgeons) meeting last month again.

I'm being banded tomorrow and was supposed to follow a 2 week pre-op diet. I only lasted 6 days, as it was only yogurt and cottage cheese... way too much dairy for me. I was nausious most of the time.

Now I'm panicing, thinking that my liver will get in the way and there will be lots of complications, or no band.

Take my advice... stick to the diet. I'm very scared right now!!!