Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling

I'm about at my wits end. I was banded on 1/27. I've lost 135 pounds (92 since surgery). Things were going great, I listened to my band and really hardly ever cheated. I hit a plateau in August and only lost 4 pounds. Found myself "cheating" a bit more but I was still in control.

Fast forward to today and I am completely out of control. I've lost and gained the same 10 pounds since September. I'm eating the wrong things. It's a head game/battle with me. If I listen to my stomach I'm full. But my head is winning. All. The. Time. I'm making horrible choices and eating until I'm in pain. I'm jealous of people who say their band stops them/won't let them overeat. Because I have learned that mine most certainly will let me overeat.

My head knows what I'm doing is wrong but it's like I can't stop it. Has anyone gone through this and if so what helped? I'm desperate to get back to where I was. I don't think I need a fill as if I listen to my belly I'm not hungry. I've thought about a psychologist but I'm not sure. Can anyone please give some advice?

I was on track to meet my personal goal weight by Christmas, a month ahead of "schedule". Now I don't even see being there by my bandiversay. ????????

I can't fail at this too, I can't.

I've been struggling for the past six months. I got my first fill today because it turns out I am simply hungry...and it's not just head hunger or something else psychological. I'm no doctor but I think you may just be hungry. It was my surgeon who said I needed a fill. Why don't you make an appointment and talk to him/her? I'm sure the doctor can advise you as to whether or not you need additional Fluid in the band. If not, then maybe a therapist is the answer.

Oh...and just as an FYI, I see a therapist to help me manage my issues without turning to food so there is absolutely a physical and psychological component to being successful with WLS.

Thank you @@gowalking I found a support group that deals with "head hunger" so I'm excited for that. Only bad thing is the next session isn't until mid January. For now I'm going to try the 5 day pouch test to see if that kick starts all of this again. I appreciate you always having a kind word/advice. It's very helpful. ????

I think at some point we all go through this. Yes, I eat when I'm not truly hungry just because it's something I want. Last week I decided to do the 5-day pouch test. 2 Days of all liquids, mushy, solids and it helped me get back on track and stopped the crazy cravings that I felt were out of control. There is veteran on here that says he does this every 6-8 weeks just to allow his pouch a rest. It was tough but I really do think it helped me get back to basics!!!! Good luck! I know you can do it! Don't give up!!!!

I think at some point we all go through this. Yes, I eat when I'm not truly hungry just because it's something I want. Last week I decided to do the 5-day pouch test. 2 Days of all liquids, mushy, solids and it helped me get back on track and stopped the crazy cravings that I felt were out of control. There is veteran on here that says he does this every 6-8 weeks just to allow his pouch a rest. It was tough but I really do think it helped me get back to basics!!!! Good luck! I know you can do it! Don't give up!!!!

I just finished the 5DPT myself (yesterday was day 5) and I'm so glad I did it! You're so right, it stopped the crazy cravings I was having. I no longer crave sweets at all (this was a definite perk after surgery, no more sweets cravings. I can't believe I pushed myself right back to that!).

while I will always want carbs (even before surgery I would have picked a loaf of bread with butter over chocolate cake any day) I have a handle on them again. I just have to keep them out of the house and that's ok.

I did learn that I was completely wrong about what a slider food is. I thought it was just like ice cream, shakes or food like that but I learned it's all the stuff I was eating: goldfish, popcorn, cheese-it's, chips etc. I truly had no idea!

I feel much more in control now and hopefully the # on the scale tomorrow shows that. Thank you for all the support!

I found this 5DPT on the Internet and wanted to try it. In a couple days I will hit my one year bandiversary. Ive lost 79lbs since surgery, but I lost 75% of that in the first 4 months after surgery. So the last 8 months I've lost very slow. I kind of got comfortable with the weight I'd lost, even knowing I had double that amount to lose. So I'm def in the green zone because I can't eat much at each meal. I think my problem is that I'm not making the right food choices. Eating junk food and eating when I know I'm not even hungry are my main problems. I've gained and lost the same 10lbs several times over the last 4 months. It's just not acceptable. I'm still heavy enough that I should be losing weight faithfully every week. Idk what's wrong with me, but I think I just need to do a reset on my body and start over. I'm embarrassed to even see my surgeon bc I feel like a failure the last 6 months. Once I get some more weight off then I'll schedule an appointment. I do not need another fill, my band is almost at capacity. So it's not how much I'm eating at each meal, it's my poor food choices and what I'm eating in between meals. Lord help me! I had such high expectations for this band. I just need to find a way to get excited about it again. Anyone else going thru this?

With all due respect, I think you may have had unrealistic expectation for the band...not high expectations. It sounds like the band is doing exactly what it's supposed to. Now you have to do what you are supposed to. Make healthy choices, avoid sliders, and exercise. If your band is full and you're at green, work with a nutritionist who will help you with food choices. And let your surgeon know you are struggling. I'm sure he/she has seen it all and won't judge.

@@Mommyfrid I agree with @@gowalking that you should go see your surgeon. The follow up visits for me, even if my weight is static have been important. That being said, remember the band can help with physical restriction, but ultimately it is up to the person to conquer the food demons. There are lots of support groups out there that can help you cope with any food addiction or head hunger issues, if you have them.