Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon is very hard line on coffee - 6 months! This is longer than the recommendation in the VSG handbook for the program.

How do your guidelines compare - any idea why it would be 6 months?

Mine was also 6 mos. But I'm 3 months and I have been cheating. The reason for so long is due to the possibility of ulcers. I am not having more than 1 cup every 3 days or so. But I am still not supposed to.

I should also add that, I actually considered not adding caffeine back into my system after detoxing from 4 shot vent iced lattes daily. I didm;t want to get hooked again. I can already tell that I am headed down a bad path. I can tell now when I don't have caffeine. I crash a few hours after one cup. But when I don't drink it, my body feels fine. Use caution. I may have to give it up again.

Edited by dlappjr

Mine also says 6 months. Blah.

That is rough, although probably not without basis. I was told that as soon as I could get the required 64 oz of Water, I could begin having coffee again, and I did so without delay. The ban is due to the fact that caffeine is a diuretic and removes water from your body of which after surgery, you can hardly spare.

Because that's what your doctor and nutritionist feels works best for all of the reasons listed above. If you trusted this program to perform major surgery on your body and manage your care, listen to them and don't try to find loop holes because it's a food/drink you *really* love. Just suck it up and deal. When you reach goal you'll be beyond happy that your made the sacrifice.

Blerd - That's a rather lame answer to a rather straight forward question????

But thanks Mom!

@@BLERDgirl -- you are a tough dame.

@@Cape Crooner -- lame? really? BLERD went straight to the point, no shilly-shallying about "Why why why...waaaah waaaah waaaah."

(Psst, I'm only saying this to stay on her good side. She really is tough and, when I get around to my story, I don't want her to eviscerate me.)

I agree with @BLERDgirl. My guidelines were no alcohol or caffeine for 6 months. (alcohol may be a year, I forget) but I'm waiting as long as I can before I eat/drink the bad things, I actually dont plan to go back to most of them

It's nice to see you running to defend ole Blerd!

I asked two questions (let me paraphrase):

1. How about you? (did you get a 6 month moratorium on coffee or something else).

2. (If you got different guidelines...) Why do you think your advice differed?

I have read Blerd's "response" several times and for the life of me, I'm having a hard time finding an answer to these two questions. I have no idea what her program suggested.

Instead the lame (motherly) unsolicited "advice" (I never asked for advice) that "that's what my surgeon and NUT recommend". In fact they disagreed - WHICH IS WHY I ASKED.

Spare me!

I am not trying too be mean or lame. I was trying to be honest. It doesn't matter what my program allowed because you don't have my surgeons. I have an unusual diet and multiple food allergies. Everytime I came across information in my handbook that I had an issue with I made it a point to discuss it with my nutritionist. Every program has different protocols that they go by. I took these into consideration when I was looking into programs before agreeing to the one I choose. If you have questions for them, why not ask them? As for me? Here goes.

1. How about you? (did you get a 6 month moratorium on coffee or something else).

No I did not have a 6 mth moratorium.

2. (If you got different guidelines...) Why do you think your advice differed?

Because based on my nutritional needs and my body's response to surgery it wasn't necessary. However, if that was a requirement, I would have followed to the letter.

Looking back at the initial question:

How do your guidelines compare - any idea why it would be 6 months?

It's a diuretic, it can irritate the stomach and make acid worse, leading to ulcers. These are very good reasons to abstain. In case you missed the point in my initial comment, here it is again. They took these reasons into consideration and decided that the best way to get the optimal success for their patients during that early honeymoon phase would be to disallow coffee for the first 6mths.

Thanks Blerd, I plan to stick to the 6 months, I was just trying to find what others have heard/done.

1. How about you? YES - no coffee/caffeine EVER, no alcohol EVER.

2. Why do you think your advice differed? No idea - some belong to "centers of excellence", some don't. Each surgeon / nutritionist has a method to their madness :)

Sorry but I have had coffee every day for a month, and wil do so. I am 2.5 months post op. Have given up a lot of things but I have my morning coffee, tests are all great, One a morning. Half Decaf is fine my doc said

I had my 4 week check up with my surgeon today.

He's perfectly okay with me having 1-2 cups a day.

God bless him. It sure is nice.

I use Splenda and a very small amount of Fairlife milk.