Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Dr says I won't be able to take Naproxen after the sleeve surgery, I have bad knees (unfortunately WL surgery will not help with one of them) I am wondering what other treatments that your Dr's prescribe for anti-inflamitories. Tylenol #3 doesn't work, the only drug that works for me is Naproxen. I really don't want to get my knee replaced before the Gastric Sleeve surgery. But I might have too.

Is it from arthritis? For me the only thing that helps with that is Mobic.

Not good for the heart to take it every day, but if it's the only thing that helps I have to take it occasionally.

I have osteoarthritis in both knees. I started aquafit class which helped tremendously. However my right knee was still causing pain so I got injections that last for 4 years. I forget what it's called but it was a series of injections over the course of 3 months. Each month I would get and injection. Coupled with the steady weight lose and increased range of motion from regular workouts, I am pain free and med free.

If you are not at a place where you can at least pool walk, then talk with your surgeon about other treatments. NSAIDs can be hard on the tummy and with the decreased tummy size you will have post op, you will need to be monitored closely so as to not get ulcers.

Is this your sleeve surgeon or your orthopedist telling you this? I had the same discussion with my orthopod for my shoulder surgery post sleeve, as he was assuming (as most non-bariatric docs do,) that WLS=RNY=no NSAIDs, but I assured him that they were fine in our program.

In the bariatric world, there is some controversy on the NSAID issue, based largely upon surgeons' background. With the RNY, NSAIDs are a giant no-no due to specific problems with that procedure's fundamental architecture, while the sleeve based procedures like the VSG and DS are much more forgiving on that point. While NSAIDs are serious drugs that, if used consistently, should be used (by anyone, not just WLS patients,) under a doc's supervision due to their potential side effects, and with a sleeve we may be more sensitive to them than the general population, we are no where near as sensitive to them as an RNY patient.

I've been getting injections for at least 10years on my right knee. My routine is every 6 months I get a synvisc injection and if needed in-between injections I get a shot of cortisone. I have had 2 arthroscopies on my right knee in consectutive years. The ortho said he cannot do anymore surgeries on my right knee, he ruled out a partial knee too. I will have to get a complete knee once the injections don't work anymore. I just received and injection on Monday and it isn't working.. The ortho knows about my WL surgery and said it was going to help my left knee for sure, but my right knee is too far gone. IT worries me since I can hardly walk the days I don't take the naproxen. Thanks RickM, Susan66 and BLERDgirl

I am 57, 2 months out today for the sleeve and have bone on bone in both knees. I have been walking in pool and riding bike. Not even naproxen helped any longer, so now I take nothing, and believe me sometimes the pain is unbearable. I need 2 total knees and that is part of why I had the sleeve, I did not want to out 268lbs on 2 new knees, so hopefully will lose enough weight to have at least one knee done early next year. I have had every injection you cn think of to both knees and I am done with the injections, even PRP twice, and they say there is nothing better then that. Hopefully you can walk in pool, find an indoor one like the Y, as now cooler weather is coming or ride a stationary bike. It is so much better to have the sleeve first then the knee done, or you will not want too much weight on the new knee. Good luck,