Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

'accidentally' cheated on pre-op diet (4 days before surgery!)

If you wanna call it that...

A friend of mine offered me what she called a "health juice" drink. I don't know what I was thinking, but I should have asked her specifically what it was.

Turns out it was one of those energy drinks, packed with sugar! I've never drank an energy drink before so the taste didn't give anything away and I ended up drinking the whole glass! Afterwards when I was feeling funny (and pratically bouncing off the walls) she decided to mention

" ooh yeah, you must not have had an energy drink before, huh?" . I was so dissapointed in myself I thought "screw this day, ill eat whatever I want now since I already messed up!" and ended up eating Pasta and garlic bread :(. I'm so ashamed

Im just a few short days away from surgery (4days) and im ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIED my doc will not preform it becasue my liver may be too big. Has anyone else cheated so close to their sleeve date? I start an 3 day liquid diet tomorrow and I'm praying it helps!!

Be a really good girl until your surgery. That stomach needs to be empty to reduce the chance of any spillage causing peritonitis. Without complications, your recovery will be easier than the next four days. Hang in there.

You will be alright. Although for future reference, remember to stop after you initially make a bad choice. That thinking of "I might as well eat all that I want, since I've already blown it" will get you into trouble. One bad food choice shouldn't have too much of an effect on your weight loss. It is the continuation of bad choices after the initial one that will lead to weight gain.

Think about it, when you run a red light, do you decide to go ahead and run red lights for the rest of the day? No, that would be silly. It is the same for food choices. If you make a small slip up, own up to it and move on with your bariatric diet.

Edited by WL WARRIOR

You will be fine. Smack your friend on the back of her head.

Get back on track, and get some workouts in, because that's what really determines how large your liver is. Fatty liver is one thing that takes time to correct, but excess glycogen storage in your liver makes it extremely cumbersome, and it looks like the carbs you let slip through would've done just that. First and foremost, though, please don't let this destroy your morale. You made mistakes before surgery, and you will make some after surgery. They will not cut you down. Just learn from them and make yourself better because of them.

P.S...if your liver is a problem, there's nothing a couple of days can do, and if your liver is not a problem, one messy day won't make it one. It's all about how you do in general, and the surgeon's requirements are designed to keep you in the acceptable range. Best wishes!