Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:help:Hello. I just joined this group. I have spent hours reading posts and threads. I have also spent endless amounts of time on the Lap-band web-site. I have met with everyone necessary for the surgury. Everytime I meet with a provider I get different information about the process and expected outcome. So, since NONE of my providers have lived through it, I am asking your help.

How long after the banding do most people need to miss work? I know that everyone is different but, if I keep hearing that answer I am going to scream. I want to know what is average, how much time should I anticipate not being able to work?:phanvan

Weight loss- O.K. this is the most troubling. I have read that most people lose only about 50% of their "extra" weight from the banding. I weight 251. My "ideal" weight is 130ish. So, 50% of my extra poundage is only about 60# which will bring me down to 191# which is still very unhealthy and obese for me. So, I keep asking myself is a surgery worth going from Morbidly obese to obese? :phanvanEither way it's still obese. Any insight?

Also, I noticed by many people's trackers, that they lost a lot of wight the first month. How much could I expect? How much is average per week after the banding. Again I know everyone is different, any guidance would help.

The port- Can you feel the port through your skin? If so, is it uncomfortable?

Vomiting- I know that if you eat too much you will vomit. Is it sudden? Is it projectile? I keep invisioning myself at my mother-in-laws having a family dinner and suddenly throwing up because I ate too much. I'm scared of this.

Privacy- No one other than my husband knows that I am having this procedure. I have lost significat weight in the past so, no one will be shocked when that happens again. Other than the weight loss, is it possible to be descrete about the procedure or are there other blatently obvious signs that identifies that I had the procedure?

I have other questions but this should shed some light for me. Thank you so much for your help. :help:

Confused - I am by no means an expert but I can tell you about my personal experience.

I missed 3 days of work and had no problem going back when I did except for being very full of gas and gas pains. Sitting around at home is not the answer to that though so I went to work. I actually drove home from the hospital myself the next day because everyone at home had a stomach virsus. The hospital was 2 hours away.

Weight loss is huge in the beginning if you have a preop diet. I was required to follow one. Afterwards my weight loss has been entirely dependent upon me. I had two months where I only lost 2 pounds but my fill was anywhere near where it needed to be. I am where I need to be now and average about 2-2.5 pounds per week. It is not effortless though. I exercise at least 6 days a week. It will slow way down if you don't. Some people are fine with that, but I need to see the scale continue to move. My ticker is not updated but I have already lost 50% of my weight and don't feel it will stop anytime soon. It depends how much you want to use the tool when you get it.

I can feel it with my fingers but just enough to know it is there. It doesn't protrude like a pacemaker or anything. You can't see it when I am in a bathingsuit. It doesn't hurt or anything just because it is there.

For me, vomitting is the sudden excess saliva but I have always had enough time to discretely make it to the bathroom. It is almost like I tip over my head into the toilet and it falls out. I don't have any wretching or really noisyness.

Most people do not know about my procedure. I just told my brother yesterday and it has been 4 months. The only people at work who know are people who I thought would genuinely have an interest in the procedure. They are now in the process of getting the band themselves. My boss knows but only because I told her when she was scheduling a luncheon for chinese food one time. I told her I couldn't eat chinese and asked if we could do something different. She never knew when I missed work or returned to work. I simply used three days vacation time and no one was the wiser.

I have a 4.5cc band and have 3cc's in it. That might be a little too much but I am staying at that level for a while as long as I can get enough food in to remain healthy.

If you want to PM me with any other questions, that would be fine. The final answer to all your questions though - it depends on the person, everyone is different. I hate that answer too but ultimately, it is the only one that is 100% accurate.

Thank you so much. That helps tremendously. I do work counseling people and my schedule is filling up for September and Oct. and that is when I will be having the surgery so, I just needed an idea of how many days to block off. I will be having the surgery on a Friday and the surgeon seems to think it is perfectly reasonable for me to be back at work on Moday but, I watched the videos and the surgeons in the videos say a week.

Another question. Could you tell me what a typical meal you eat is?

You exercise 6 days a week? That's great, what kind of exercise?

I just had my band done this past monday 6/25. My doctor wants me out of work for 2 weeks--even though I have a sedentary job. Come to think of it, i'm not so sure I could sit at my desk for 8 hours quite yet. I still have a tremendous amount of bloating. I think they pumped enough gas into my abdomen to make me float like a helium balloon!!! So, while I'm recovering, I'm trying to keep busy. I haven't watched daytime TV in a long long time, and it's just not for me. Has anyone else noticed how much food related stuff is on tv? From cooking shows to commercials, we're flooded with it. Hard for someone to watch that stuff when all you can have is liquids. :D

A friend of mine just had hers done last Tuesday and was back to work on Friday no problem.

What do I eat in a day? Depends on the day and time of day. For Breakfast I usually have a Protein Shake since nothing else will go down. For lunch (early 10:30ish) I eat 3 crackers with Tomato basil tuna on it. Late lunch/snack (2:30pm-ish), 3 crackers with cheese on it. Supper - usually a lean turkey burger (no bun) with tomato and cucumber (no seeds).

That is about it.

:help:Hello. I just joined this group. I have spent hours reading posts and threads. I have also spent endless amounts of time on the Lap-band web-site. I have met with everyone necessary for the surgury. Everytime I meet with a provider I get different information about the process and expected outcome. So, since NONE of my providers have lived through it, I am asking your help.

Try going to the website <getbandednow.com> They have a what to expect page that is very helpfull.

How long after the banding do most people need to miss work? I know that everyone is different but, if I keep hearing that answer I am going to scream. I want to know what is average, how much time should I anticipate not being able to work?:phanvan

I know a lady that went to work the next day.

I know a lady that went home early got complicated and lost her band.

Look it is different for everyone and there is no average.

How heavy are you? How big is your liver? How sensitive are you to the General Anethesia?

What kind of shape are you in? Whats your age?

There is no average. It is prudent to be thinking it may take two weeks of rest to come out of this. Maybe in your case more. Maybe less.

Whats really important here is that you do what is correct for you. You need a team that has a SAFE protocol. One that is built for folks that are not average. Like me and like you.

Weight loss- O.K. this is the most troubling. I have read that most people lose only about 50% of their "extra" weight from the banding. I weight 251. My "ideal" weight is 130ish. So, 50% of my extra poundage is only about 60# which will bring me down to 191# which is still very unhealthy and obese for me. So, I keep asking myself is a surgery worth going from Morbidly obese to obese? :phanvanEither way it's still obese. Any insight?

Those that lose only 50% of their weight simply stopped working their bands. Simple. No finger pointing, no blaqme just a slow return to old habits.

This is best controlled by being prepared for banding long before getting banded. Again a good team should be working with you on this by educating you one on one. By phone email etc.

If you can't get good training before you pay then kiss it goodbye after wards. You will be stuck talking to us strangers and hoping for the right info.

Also, I noticed by many people's trackers, that they lost a lot of wight the first month. How much could I expect? How much is average per week after the banding. Again I know everyone is different, any guidance would help.

OMG you and your averages haha! JK! Many of us lose 3 - 5 lbs a week after surgery. Then down to 1.5 -3 a week there after. Slow and steady..

The port- Can you feel the port through your skin? If so, is it uncomfortable?

If you can feel the port through your skin your surgeon is a quack!

It should be placed 2-3 inches below the skins surface. Too deep and it can be very difficult to reach with the fill syringe.

Vomiting- I know that if you eat too much you will vomit. Is it sudden? Is it projectile? I keep invisioning myself at my mother-in-laws having a family dinner and suddenly throwing up because I ate too much. I'm scared of this.

Vomiting can be the single tell of a bandster not working their band safely. Hear this and hear this well. Vomiting can and does lead to serious complications and loss of your band!!

Now it is not really a vomit because the food or drink never passes the restricted area and enter your tummy so no tummy acids.

We call it a Productive Burp or "P'B" Kinda like spitting milk out your nose when you laugh while swallowing. More like spitting up. food is still cold or hot and tastes the same as it went dowm.

Usually caused by to big of a bite. Not chewed well enough, swallowed to soon after last bite or all of the above.

I tell my patients to get a baby spoon. Thats the size of the bite.

Chew chew chew till liquidfied then swallow slowly and stop eating after 15 minutes. If thsi is too much then you better think this implant over.

You must work it. Every single time....

Privacy- No one other than my husband knows that I am having this procedure. I have lost significat weight in the past so, no one will be shocked when that happens again. Other than the weight loss, is it possible to be descrete about the procedure or are there other blatently obvious signs that identifies that I had the procedure?

I agree absolutely. Tell no one period..

There should be no tell tale signs if all goes as it should.

I have other questions but this should shed some light for me. Thank you so much for your help. :help:

Happy to help if I did.

Thanks again! I guess my main problem with wondering how long to take off of work is, I own my business. I just needed to know how long I would be out. But, since it seems to range from 2 days to 2 weeks, I took off 1 week and will take longer if the time comes and I need it.

I am getting nervous though, I feel like my primary MD and surgeon are always in such a rush, I never get all of my questions answered. However, I decided that I won't let that happen again.

It is nice to get answers from people that live it though.

You asked for some of my history. I am 26 and weight 251# my ideal is about 130#. I have no other problems health-wise, no cholesterol problems, no diabetes, no high blood pressure, nothing at all. I play tennis everyday that it isn't raining and cycle on weekends. I have always been active and on the muscular side but thick as well.

I have had 2 surgeries in the past both related to bones and sports injuries. One time the anethesia was fine, no problems, the other time I was throwing up for 24hours after the surgery. (I already made sure that I am getting the same anethesia that I got the first time.)

I am allergic to narcotic pain killers. Vicoden, percocet, morohine, codene. I have been told that I will be getting a pain med. from a different class (non-narcotic).

When I have more questions and as the surgry gets closer I will be on here asking more questions, I'm sure.

Thanks again

Hi ,

I have just had my band fitted and returned to worl 5 days after the operation. However, it was hard work and being self employed I could choose the jobs I did. I have had an amazingly smooth ride so far and feel great.

As for the rest of your questions... i can not say yet.

Regards

Simon

I've been banded a year and have lost 56 lbs of my 100 lbs. That is an average of 2 lbs a week. I didn't get good restriction for a long time. I did have some trouble being too tight for a week but that has been resolved. That being said, I have seen stats of people losing anywhere from 50-75% of their excess weight the first year. There are people who lose 100 lbs in a year but they exercise a lot. I do PB but it is typically a couple times a week. You just have to eat very slow and eat the size of a pencil eraser. You will love being banded.:clap2: