Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scheduled surgery while waiting for approval?

Hi everyone. I was wondering if some surgeons schedule the surgery while waiting for the insurance to approve. i would hate to wait up to a month for approval from bcbsnc and then wait another month for my surgery to take place.

Every insurance/surgeon process is different. I got my date after approval. Way after approval. But someone else's experience is probably entirely different.

Good luck!

My surgery was scheduled the same day they submitted to insurance. I don't know if they always do that or if they did that because they know I am trying to get my surgery in before school starts back up. It might depend on your insurance. My bariatric coordinator is extremely knowledgeable about my insurance company. She said they process a lot of claims through BCBS.

I also have BCBS and I am hoping and praying they approve me!!!! Send positive thoughts my way! Say an extra prayer! I can't keep living with this GERD! Good luck!!!! Let us know when you get approved!

Mine wouldn't even contemplate setting a date before approval. And it's a good thing they didn't, since my revision approval took forever because SAMBA/Cigna was being a pain in the you-know-what about approving it. It took almost 3 months for just the submission/denial/appeal/denial/appeal/peer-to-peer/approval process, not including any of the pre-submission hoops that I had to jump through. Now I have to do my medical clearances, but I'm hoping to talk them into setting a date so that I can request time off of work and get my mom a plane ticket to come and stay with me.

Just got my call today that I was approved for my revision from sleeve to bypass! Was submitted to BC/BS PA only 2 days ago! I was approved because I have stenosis with SEVERE GERD! Surgery date 8/31... Good luck everyone waiting to hear..

Bcbsnc I was told you have surgery first, someone told me as long as you got bypass on your coverage all u pay is copay I have same company buy can't afford copay :( so I'm waiting and I have to see what my new surgeons take :(

I am scheduled for surgery on Aug. 27 and have still not heard back from insurance. The nurse at Anthem has sent my case to the physician at Anthem. I have my pre-op and final appointment with my surgeon...I hope. I am going to be devastated if denied. Anyone else experience anything similar?

I have a tentative date --it was 5 week after the date of submission, but she said if it came back right away they could try and make it sooner--

I am still in the process of gathering all the info I need to get approved. My last NUT visit is Dec 1 and surgery is scheduled for December 15. I'm praying for a fast positive decision. I guess it depends on the surgeon.

I was given a tentative date of Oct 5th while waiting for approval. One thing I can say- is be persistent! I kept calling my insurance company to see if my Dr's office had submitted, and finally called my Dr's office and raised hell. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!