Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved for Financing....Freaking out a little

Oh, my Gosh. I am freaking out a little. I've been out all weekend with my father and step-mother who were successfully sleeved here in the states but my insurance wouldn't approve the surgery for myself. I got home this weekend and I was talking with my mom about how much I want the surgery and how I just don't see anything but my weight. I'm 28 and have a good job but have a hard time saving for the surgery, she suggested that I apply for financing. I did it on a whim, I don't even have a surgery date set up but I just wanted to see what would happen.

I got approved. I got a phone call and now I'm just excited, scared, ready to do this. I've been thinking about this for two years and the only thing I can think about is how that was two years of terrible diets, prescription diet pills, working out at the gym for no results.

I don't want to tell many people because I have one really snarky friend who just puts me down about the weight and makes comments and if I tell her she'll tell everyone. I know that this is hard, so I really don't want to hear easy way out comments.

I guess it's time for me to get that surgery scheduled but I just had to share my excitement with someone. I'll see Tijuana sometime soon!

Congratulations! If you are thinking about telling someone, keep in mind that Ben Franklin said, "Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead.'"

Congrats I know for me it took me years to make this decision. I have definitely lost a lot and gained a lot throughout the years you're only 28 I wish I would've done it at your age. I go to Mexico on the ninth surgery on the 10th I'm nervous as hell going with Dr. Alvarez @Endobariatrics good luck to us all

@@Hippichick I am so excited, I've seen excellent results from my dad and step-mom so I know this can really work. They're both in their 50's. I think anyone can be successful, I've got some nerves but I think it will be great. I just didn't expect to get approved for financing so quickly. Let me know how it goes and how you're feeling afterwards. Good luck!

you will both do awesome because you know it's only a tool.....

Dr. Alvarez, you are brave. I heard BariatricPal dropped him as a provider because he was killing too many people. Since I joined this forum I have heard horror stories daily on that guy so I would recommend doing some research before making that plunge plus there are some really good providers down there that are cheaper and have good reputations.

Be careful with financing on surgeries, I have been researching into it myself and there are companies that add all kinds of crazy terms, fees, and interest rates so I would suggest posting up the terms and getting some feedback on the forum about it before you sign. I'm sure a lot of people on here could lend some helpful advice.

I haven't heard anything bad at all about Dr. Alvarez where did you get your information so I can look into it? I've been researching him for months now you have freaking out.

@@Hippichick I was planning to go to Dr. Alvarez as well and I backed out when he left the company he was with. I heard bad things but I thought it was just the previous coordinator (who was recently fired) running a smear campaign because he and his wife started a different company at a new and better hospital.

The smear campaign I heard was through a company and it was so unprofessional that I changed my mind about having it with them.

I'm really active on the other gastric sleeve forum where Alvarez is a 'featured' surgeon meaning he pretty much 'owns' the forum.. he is doing like 10-15 surgeries a day which is unethical and unsafe. In the last 3 months I've read posts from people who went and he opened up, said he did the surgery, and sent them home and didn't even tell the person it wasn't done so he wouldn't have to refund the money. Anytime something negative is posted they remove it which is why I changed over to BariatricPal. I want surgeons that dont run their people thru like cattle and take accountability when they either make mistakes or don't do the surgery at all rather then steal from you. There are a TON of great surgeons in TJ but that isn't one of them, he just spends the most money buying forum ads which is why its SO important to read reviews.

Helena.. more then HAPPY to reference posts as well as provide VERIFIED patients (with photos taking with Alvarez) along with their horror stories, paperwork from their home doctors and anything else you want. I don't promote ANY doctor as I don't care who someone does their surgery with. It would be BEST if you do it in your home town with a doctor you trust but if you post on here promoting a surgeon then you have to let them see both the good and the bad. If they want to be a great doctor then they have to be ethical and don't want horror stories out there about patients then they need to contact those upset patients and make it right or fix their surgery or something. I would never go with someone doing 10-15 surgeries a day and as far as 'checking facts' I am more then willing to invite over some members from the other forum and have them link to their posts. Bashing is when you don't like someone while I just want both sides of the story heard and maybe that guy will be more accountable to the people he hurts.

I'm really active on the other gastric sleeve forum where Alvarez is a 'featured' surgeon meaning he pretty much 'owns' the forum.. he is doing like 10-15 surgeries a day which is unethical and unsafe. In the last 3 months I've read posts from people who went and he opened up, said he did the surgery, and sent them home and didn't even tell the person it wasn't done so he wouldn't have to refund the money. Anytime something negative is posted they remove it which is why I changed over to BariatricPal. I want surgeons that dont run their people thru like cattle and take accountability when they either make mistakes or don't do the surgery at all rather then steal from you. There are a TON of great surgeons in TJ but that isn't one of them, he just spends the most money buying forum ads which is why its SO important to read reviews.

In another forum site that I visit often I have read 1-2 very bad reviews for Dr. Alvarez. (Smear post maybe?) However he is very respected surgeon. We live in Fl and my mom's endocrinologist had his books in the lobby and refers her patients to him. Also, are you sure you don't have the name confused? Dr. Alvarez does not work in TJ. He is out of Pidras Negras, MX which if a mile over the Texas border. I forget which city you fly into, I don't have my notebook with me right now... but it is far away from Tijuana.

Original poster, I too am approved for financing with Dr. Alvarez but only for half the amount. The terms aren't that great either. After researching I saw that the company I applied with attaches thousands of $$ in fees to the balance and the APR is high (they quote 1.3% monthly Apr). My credit is ~700 and I was only approved for $4400 of an $8k surgery with such a sucky interest rate. I have $6k budgeted for everything. So as much as I like him, I probably can't use him. :-( Keep us posted what you decide.

Edited by Karla0013

Woops your right -- I was referring to Dr Almanza NOT Alverez. So just so anyone reading this is clear.. Dr Almanza = BAD.. Alverez = GOOD. I'll revise the prior posts as well.