Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ok, im 16, and im either getting the band later this month or July. If i do it in July, its free but i just want to start losing! i cant stand being like this much longer! lolnut in all seriousness, i am nervous that i wont lose any weight. im scared to death that ill go through all of this and never be a healthy weight. sometimes i just want to cry, because im just so stressed, i feel as though this is a last resort. ive always been like this and its so embarrising. ive had to go through school like this, i mean i know somepeople who have gained weight after highschool and after theyre skinny again say they can finally fit into their highschool jeans or something. and ive never had that, i am so scared that im just going to do this and have nothing happen... if anyone could help me out, please do :think

Hey purplegirl I havn't been banded yet(June 27) so I can't give you that kind of support but I sure know what you are going through. I have been fat all my life too (I'm now 46) and high school was hell. I am SO glad for you that you have the option of getting banded now instead of dieting/failing/being miserable for the next 20, 30 whatever years. YOU GO GIRL. You will be OK, it won't be easy but it seems if you follow the rules you have a really good chance of making it work. Wait until it is free a couple of weeks won't make any difference and read all the great success stories and advice of all these people that got there. GOOD LUCK and keep safe. Marga

Purple,

You're going to do great with the band! I'm sure a million people have told you this, but just remember not to be too hard on yourself until you start getting your fills. It's really hard to go through band surgery and be forced to just kind of hang out week after week until you can get your fills. Alas, we all had to go through that. I guess what I'm saying is getting the band is just the first step. It may not "work" until several months in, but it WILL work.

Hang in there.

PurpleGirl I felt the same way. What if it didn't work for me and I just knew that GB wasn't for me and that I had tried everything else that I could possibly try that this would be my last option. I was more scared about that than the actual surgery. I can tell you that it does work as long as you work with it. Sometimes I mess up and eat things that I'm not supposed to but the key thing is just not be to hard on yourself when you do. Remember we are human and we sometimes make mistakes. Just remember to get right back with the band rules and the weight does still come off. Now its not easy it takes lots of hard work and patience. But for me I am so very glad I had this done, and I think your will be also. Take Care

ok, im 16, and im either getting the band later this month or July. If i do it in July, its free but i just want to start losing! i cant stand being like this much longer! lolnut in all seriousness, i am nervous that i wont lose any weight. im scared to death that ill go through all of this and never be a healthy weight. sometimes i just want to cry, because im just so stressed, i feel as though this is a last resort. ive always been like this and its so embarrising. ive had to go through school like this, i mean i know somepeople who have gained weight after highschool and after theyre skinny again say they can finally fit into their highschool jeans or something. and ive never had that, i am so scared that im just going to do this and have nothing happen... if anyone could help me out, please do :think

hi, i am old enough to be your grandma!!!. I was just banded on 6/4 I was fat my whole life, karen the cow was my nickname in high school. i only wish this had been available for me years ago. dont be frightened, you are young and healthy and will sail thru this surgery.my very best to you

purplegirl, I was "heavy" in high school or should I say curvy, but I wish that I would have learned to eat better then, but the people that influenced me -well lets say that I didnt eat the healthiest. I didnt even realize waht "eating healthy" was until I got banded. So much to learn...I am still learning. I am 32 and was banded on 1/27/07 - to date I have lost 76lbs. i still am unsure somedays if it is working or not. Have faith that it will work. as long as you follow the rules, and WALK.. maybe not hard excercizing, but walking is good. I started out not being able to walk more that 1 block without getting winded, but now I walk 1 1/2 mile a day & 3 miles on the weekend. so have faith... there is TONS of support for you on this web site, just ask... GOOD LUCK!!!

Hey purple

I can relate, being 3 years older

Trust me, it will be okay

I'm going through the motions with the band right now, but in 8 days post-op I'm allready down!

Highschool sucks being over weight, but college over weight isen't that much better. I allways wished I lost the wieght before I started Uni. Because, those jerk guys, and critical girls still exist. Just think how much fun you'll have being a 'normal weight' getting to go shopping with friends, or going out(allthough, that's still a few years away)

And you will loose weight! Everyone has!!

And heck, your getting it for free. So, you have it for a few months, decide you don't like it, take it out! Easy as that.

But it's worth a try atleast!

If you want someone to talk to, feel free to PM me. It might be nice to talk to someone around your age.

thank you guys a bunch, i am feeling a little better about it now. my surgens wife gave me a book on the lap band and everything that goes with it ect. and im excited to get it started!